Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a Bodum Press?

Dear CoffeeSnob Gurus,

Please help me decide if I should get a Bodum press.

I already own a Moka Pot, Aeropress and a pour over filter. I also own a Brevilla burr grinder. I really dont want to get anything else only to find that I dont like it.

The thing is, the only method that I consistently enjoy is the pour over filter. With the Aeropress, no matter how many variables I change, I just cant make the smooth coffee that the pour over method yields. Im really upset about this because every man and his dog is raving about the Aeropress.

Since I dislike Aeropress coffee (or am not talented enough to make good coffee from one), is it worth getting a plunger? Some say that they prefer French press to Aeropress because it has the aromatic oils that the Aeropress removes. I wish I could go to a cafe and try plunger coffee before buying one but Ive only ever seen espresso machines here (I live in Perth).

Do you think I should get a Bodum press?

Oh, and the coffee I normally use is those supermarket coffees with a 1 way valve. The brand I favour is 5 senses.

Re: Should I get a Bodum Press?

Hi Nez,

Welcome to CS

press or plunger will give you a smoth cup but it will also muddy the flavours together. A better option is to look at a coffee syphon (check out the other thread running today). You will get a nice clean tasting brew and nothing like an Aeropress (which I also am not a huge fan of) and in some ways similar to pour over drip. You will find that depending on the filter you are using in the pour over you will loose some of the oils and subtle flavours that you can get with a Syphon.

my $.02

Comment

I think my AeroPress technique probably allows for some "oils" absorption with enough carried through to guarantee a very nice brew 99/100 of the time.

Basically, I just updose usually to roughly the equivalent of a "triple" shot but only use enough water for a double. After which water or milk is added depending on what sort of brew Im in the mood for afterwards. Compared to the Syphon, the results are certainly different but I wouldnt say deficient. I really enjoy my AeroPress shots done this way, so does my young bloke.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Hey Nez,
        I assume you are in WA if you are using 5 senses. Just a quick note, i recently ran out of home roasted beans (thought i had some in the cupboard ready for use until i remembered i gave them to dad 2 days before), anyway, with only 2 hours until friends came over, i went to the local independent supermarket and the 5 senses stand had bags of coffee that had roasting dates ranging from only 4 days old (good) to 4 MONTHS old (very bad). Just make sure you get the fresh ones as it does make a huge difference. Sneaky buggers put the old ones up the front of the shelf, although i am sure not many people check or even care.
        Cheers,
        James

Comment

I used a plunger for years and was happy with the results.
          I now prefer the Aeropress to a plunger but there are some provisos.
          The coffee must be freshly roasted (no more than 3-4 weeks post roast)
          and finely ground in a good quality grinder. I only use Rocky for the Aeropress where I use a hand grinder for the plunger (coarser grind)
          The grind I use for the Aeropress is virtually the same as for Silvia.
          The results can be stunning.
          In other words, the coffee used in the Aeropress needs to be espresso quality.

Cheers,
          Alan

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help everyone. If anything, youve talked me out of getting a French press and saved me some money. Ill give the Aeropress a break and come back to it in the new year.

James: Yes, I am in WA and my coffee was about 10 days old. Where can I get freshly roasted beans here in WA? All the local roasters only seem to do wholesale.

beanflying: Ive read that vac pots are like supreme filter coffee. However, I feel a vac pot is a true sign of a coffee snob and Im just a plebian. Something to aspire to in the future.

Comment

Hi Nez,
              Here in WA (wait awhile), it is difficult to find quality coffee supplies within easy reach so i have gone down the home roasting path and i havent looked back. It costs considerably less than boutique roasted coffee and green beans store for ages (up to 2-3 years if stored correctly), meaning there is always a nice supply in the cupboard. I only bought a 250gm pack of roasted coffee as i only had 2 hours til friends came over and i was hesitant to serve coffee that had only had an hours rest. Dont get me wrong, the 5Senses coffee is a nice coffee, just make sure to rummage through the shelves to find the freshest pack. I do have a problem with paying $12.50 for a 250gm pack, when i can buy green beans for about $10-12 per kilo delivered to my house.
              James.

Comment

Wow, that certainly is a lot cheaper. I may have to go down that path. Perhaps something to accomplish in 2009.

Comment

nez you can get fresh off the roaster by buying online from 5senses

Comment

Working...
                  X