Hario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hario

Has anyone seen this before, and is it readily available?
    http://stalimelbourne.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/toshis-new-toy-hario-ice-coffee-drip-filter/

Re: Hario

Give them a ring and let us know how you got on.

Comment

Weve been using a massive one at The Maling Room for iced coffee for the last few months.

Comment

Hows the brew from one of these?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasM link=1230680348/0#2 date=1230698660
          Weve been using a massive one at The Maling Room for iced coffee for the last few months.
          Is there an Australian distributor for these? I cant seem to find the item on the Hario website.

Comment

I saw a lot of these in Taiwan. Some of them around 1.5 meters tall. They make very good iced coffee with the concentrate from these ice/drip machines.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasM link=1230680348/0#2 date=1230698660
              Dunno why imageshacks flipped my pics by 90°.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1230680348/0#3 date=1230713268
                Hows the brew from one of these?
                Ive tried this when travelling through Asia. Even with stalish, darkly roasted coffee, it was drinkable without any sugar added. The coffee is smooth, low viscosity/body and low in acids. Great for a hot day. Similar mouthfeel to the toddy system.

Blue Bottle in San Fran have a large setup. Ive never had the pleasure. They are soo cutting edge they need a bandaid...
                http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/showreports/05-01-2008

Originally posted by mlaich link=1230680348/0#4 date=1230770385
                Is there an Australian distributor for these? I cant seem to find the item on the Hario website.
                The big boy ones are not by Hario, Hario does a peewee size.
                To my knowledge the distributorship of Hario has been nonexistent in australia.
                Swanhouse has some Hario suff, you could contact them.
                http://www.swanhouse.com.au/moonleaf/hario/hario.htm

If you travel through Singapore, Takashimaya have a great range of tea and coffee brewers.

Comment

Originally posted by rice link=1230680348/0#7 date=1231083016
                  You can email Wakana from Swanhouse, wakana@swanhouse.com.au
                  The company is no longer there, so she sells them privately hence no tax invoice.
                  Great communications, I got mine from her. Payment via Paypal or direct deposit.

Alternatively you can get an almost identical Syphon from Sorrentina Coffee, the product looks identical to Hario, I believe all the glass are made by Hario... or maybe even the whole unit, dont forget to buy the Butane Burner with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BaconMeister link=1230680348/0#8 date=1231083534

Alternatively you can get an almost identical Syphon from Sorrentina Coffee, the product looks identical to Hario, I believe all the glass are made by Hario...
                    I doubt it. Hario glass is made in Japan. Sorrentinas in Taiwan(not that theres anything wrong with that).

I have another Taiwanese made syphon (UNI-BUY) which looks exactly the same as my Hario (glass wise)... though the twing on the glass when you flick it is different. The quality doesnt seem half bad, but Im not game enough to put a cold wet towel to it on draw down.

Harios glass is melted at 1600degC and blow & press formed at 1300degC.... Ive read elsewhere that most other syphon manufacturers do not fire it at such a high temperature where apparently a lot of the strength and heat-resistant characteristics are developed (as well as the raw materials used).

Jack seems to be able to use the cold-towel method for drawing down the brew on his syphons. IMO thats as good as youd ever need as far as far as heat-resistant & temperature change resistant qualaties go. So theyd be the goods.

We should have learnt by now that just because something coming out of Taiwan looks exactly the same as the real thing, we cannot assume it is the same. Reference to copies of DVDs, CSs, Handbags, t-shirts, light fittings etc etc. Thats not to say that the quality coming out of Taiwan could not exceed the quality of the originals made in Europe/Japan/Australia etc. Ive found this in the lighting industry, and choose taiwanese made over the italian made(and save myself 75% on the cost.) for the better asian quality. Not always the case, but can happen.

Comment

We brought 3 into Australia a while back. 2 smaller ones which are for like domestic use and the larger one which is pretty big. It cost is pretty expensive to bring them into the country. We also had a roaster table idea about 8 months ago and St Ali decide to get one as well. We also got a second synesso and St Ali got there just in too!!!!! Not that anyone is copying each other. Someone is thinking the same way we are.

Comment

These look cool but are essentially a fancy (read expensive) CP (Cold Press or Process) brewer. There have been many other posts/discussions of CP on here. Reading them will give you alternatives for making this golden nectar, including how to make your own unit.

Java "Sipping his CP!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BaconMeister link=1230680348/0#8 date=1231083534
                          Originally posted by rice link=1230680348/0#7 date=1231083016
                          You can email Wakana from Swanhouse, wakana@swanhouse.com.au
                          The company is no longer there, so she sells them privately hence no tax invoice.
                          Great communications, I got mine from her. Payment via Paypal or direct deposit.

Alternatively you can get an almost identical Syphon from Sorrentina Coffee, the product looks identical to Hario, I believe all the glass are made by Hario... or maybe even the whole unit, dont forget to buy the Butane Burner with it.
                          The product under discussion is not a syphon brewer but a drip brewer. Different critters.

Java "Loves his CP!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X