Which Syphon Brand/Where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Syphon Brand/Where to buy?

Which syphon brands are worth considering?

Ive done a bit of reading about the different brands and they always end up suggesting going back to the Hario due to the quality of the glass manufacturing and general workmanship.

The Bellina as sold by Sorrentina looks like an exact copy of the Hario - is the glass Hario glass, the same type/thickness/durability glass or inferior/superior glass?

Other than Sorrentina, what other places (preferrably online) sell Syphon equipment and sell in/deliver to Australia?

And, I guess.. where can you get Hario syphons from? (in and out of Oz)

Here endeth the grilling.

cheers,
    James

Re: Which Syphon Brand/Where to buy?

Re a Hario oz dealer, just google up a distributor in WA.

Comment

The Moon Leaf Gift Shop in Perth sell Hario products but dont have an online store so it would be down to telephoning them.

Others?

Can anybody comment on the comparative quality of the different manufacturers products?

Comment

Originally posted by jamver link=1230765808/0#2 date=1230788423
        Well, since I dont believe there is anything in the posting rules against naming companies directly (only providing URLs), I found that the Moon Leaf Gift Shop in Perth sell Hario products but dont have an online store so it would be down to telephoning them.

Others?

Can anybody comment on the comparative quality of the different manufacturers products.
        No, technically not- but bits of URLS are URLs all the same and will generally come to the attention of the mod team, a member of which will then have get off his or her hands to modify or delete the post.

Back to the thread, the Bellina is a terrific unit. I have one and I know that Mal (and perhaps Andy?) has one too. We both like them and purchased them from Jack- aka Sorrentina Coffee over yonder <<<<<<<<. By doing that, we received great service, a good deal and Jack received support for his sponsorship commitment.

All of this helped the wheels of CS well-oiled and enabled 6000+ members to benefit from this wonderful forum...

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Im not so much concerned about buying or not from a sponsor but rather about quality. So Ill wait until hopefully someone who may have used or fondled other units can report.

cheers,
          James

Comment

Oh, and all said and done, unless someone says the Hario is significantly better than the Bellina, Ill almost certainly order a kit from Jack.

Comment

In referring to the documentation that came with my Bellina, it appears that these units are made by Hario for Bellina. The glass used in these units seems to be of very decent quality so they may indeed be Hario units known by another name?

I love my little Bellina... Makes a superb brew so long as I do the right thing. It is currently my preferred method for drinking black coffee, outside of a good espresso or ristretto....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal, that all sounds very positive. Ive definitely noticed what looks like a very strong similarity with the Hario in shape etc...

Jack from Sorrentina, can you comment about that? Also, is there any news on a Bellina TCA-5 Gold at all?

Comment

Hi James,

cant speak about the Hario other than what I have read as I own mainly vintage Syphons. As to glass quality everything I have read about Hario or the Bellina sounds good so grab one with a butane burner and off you go.

My favourite one (everyday use) is a Japanese Kono (3 or 4 cup) brand. Reason for it being my favourite is the glass is the thickest of any I own. It is Hario styled and I suspect looking at the glass handblown. Material Filter and the best bit I like the brew better than the glass filter rod ones.

My Stove top Silex (8 Cup) is the most stylish but has the thinest Pyrex glass and by all accounts fairly fragile. Glass Filter Rod only gets used when I have a few more coffees to make.

My Cona (5 cup) has thin glass like the Silex so I tend to only use it for display. Glass filter rod as well. Makes great coffee but looks fragile.

No name brand modern Ebay one still to be tried but it looks cheap all over from top to bottom. Not recommended.

Apart from that I own a metal Duralax Syphon for Camping makes pretty good coffee as well.

Comment

As far as anyone that I have talked to in the industry is concerned, Hario is the be all and end all. The problem is that Hario is very difficult to get in Australia. I dont know that the former WA importer actually has any more stock. St Ali and Mecca are setting up syphon bars with Hario and have/will have some retail syphons. If you are dead keen on anything specifically Hario, you can talk to them. You should be prepared to pay quite a bit for Hario these days; the AUD is terrible against just about anything. For what its worth, I have a Hario TCA-2 and I think that it is excellent. I havent tried the Bellina syphons.

Regardless of whether Sorrentina Coffee is a sponsor or not, I think that they offer the most compelling retail syphon offer in Australia. It is not worth buying a syphon unless you buy the butane burner to go with it ... or pick up a halogen burner, I guess. I think that cloth filter is the best that you can get, for syphons, at least. Cloth filters seem to let through the most flavour whilst keeping out all of the sediment. The problem with cloth filters is that they are a PITA to clean and keep clean. Fortunately, though, they are very cheap and Sorrentina has spares available as a standard item in their web store. All up, Sorrentinas prices are quite reasonable. I bought my butane burner from Jack before he started the Sorrentina web store and received excellent service. I have since recommended Sorrentina to a number of friends interested in picking up syphons and burners and all of them have been happy with the products and service that they received. I think that you should feel pretty safe in ordering a syphon from Sorrentina.

If I were buying a syphon from Sorrentina, I would look at the SCA series. The TC series is the stereotypical one and seems to be the one that most people buy, but the SCA looks like a more well thought-out unit. From memory, I think that Hario regards their DCA/deco series (with which the SCA is strikingly similar) to be their top of the line, and certainly superior to their TCA/technica series (with which the TC is strikingly similar). The TC holds the upper part of the syphon, with the used coffee in it, in its upturned lid. Im always mindful that I will knock it over, seeing as it is top heavy, and it creates needless benchtop clutter. The SCA holds the upper part in the handle, which looks to be much more stable and keeps everything together in the one unit. If you like, you can take the jug away from the SCA and use it as a stand-alone without having the whole base bit to worry about.

The other thing to consider when shopping for syphons is the size. Each cup is 120ml. This means that a 2 cupper is about perfect for one person, but wont really do two. A three cupper is about right for two people. You can use less water in a syphon if you like, but you need to take into account that there is always a fixed amount of water left in the bottom of any syphon that dilutes the resultant brew. This means that if you brew less than the maximum capacity of the syphon, you will dilute it by proportionally more. Thats not necessarily a bad thing; just something to be aware of. I usually tend to err on the side of making my syphon brew a bit stronger because I know that I can just add a touch of hot water to dilute if necessary. Obviously, you cant take water out to make it stronger!

Regarding whether or not Bellina is a Hario rebrand, I would like to hear from Jack, rather than speculating.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1230765808/0#9 date=1230796256
                      Regarding whether or not Bellina is a Hario rebrand, I would like to hear from Jack, rather than speculating.
                      Yep,

Fair enough mate, but with the documentation right here in front of me, printed in Japan and copyright by Hario, I wouldnt really call it speculation. The unit is either manufactured by Hario or under licence to Hario from where I sit....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply Luca. Good food for thought, and Im definitely considering the SCA over the TC(A) now.

Mal, thanks for the extra info about the copyright note in the documentation - you didnt mention it that explicitly in your original post, so it definitely suggests the case.

Although I might be inclined to think the SCA is also a Hario rebadge, Id like to hear from Jack about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamver link=1230765808/0#11 date=1230798544
                          Thanks for the detailed reply Luca.  Good food for thought, and Im definitely considering the SCA over the TC(A) now.

Mal, thanks for the extra info about the copyright note in the documentation - you didnt mention it that explicitly in your original post, so it definitely suggests the case.

Although I might be inclined to think the SCA is also a Hario rebadge, Id like to hear from Jack about it.
                          I confirm that the Bellina is accompanied by Hario documentation. I have the same paperwork as Mal. The build quality is superb.

Chris

Comment

Hi Beanflying!

Originally posted by beanflying link=1230765808/0#8 date=1230795073
                            My favourite one (everyday use) is a Japanese Kono (3 or 4 cup) brand. Reason for it being my favourite is the glass is the thickest of any I own. It is Hario styled and I suspect looking at the glass handblown. Material Filter and the best bit I like the brew better than the glass filter rod ones.
                            Apart from that I own a metal Duralax Syphon for Camping makes pretty good coffee as well.
                            Very interesting info regarding your library of Syphons!

I did a bit of googling and it seems the Kono is very much a direct competitor of the Hario so should be similar in quality (I would hope).

I am also curious about something longer term that might be good as a portable setup for travelling (like now when Im visitng in-laws at Christmas time).  Im guessing any hand grinder and some sort of syphon is definitely the right way to go.  Do you have any further information about your metal syphon?

Comment

From what I have seen around  the 40s-60s matal Syphons are out of the USA. Two major types the Nicro or Silex Stainless Steel ones or the Duralax Aluminium ones. Both use a Metal disc filter as standard but can be adapted to use the Cloth or Glass Rods. The only source of them is Ferralbay as they are no longer made anywhere in the world as far as I can find. Try (Silex, Nicro, Duralax, Siphon, Syphon) + coffee as a search using the US version of ferralbay for most results.

The Kono was a lucky find from Sydney and came with a paper filter holder as standard but it works much better with a Hario type cloth filter. When I got it the burner was unused so I suspect the unit was NIB

Comment

Working...
                              X