Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of the time do you use a manual Brewer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of the time do you use a manual Brewer?

Just thinking about brewing, cupping and espresso and how many of you are like me and use a manual brewer. How often do you fire one up and why in preference to an Espresso machine?

For me my morning brew was double Latte after being a Plunger for years but these days I find a Syphon is quicker and suits my morning brew better than waiting for the machine to warm up. If I am at home for the day I tend to use the Espresso machine or at night. Also I was using 5 or 6 litres of milk a week by myself :-[ Way to add the kg

BTW I am running at about 60-70% manual I guess as I use a Syphon at work as well.

Re: How much of the time do you use a manual Brewer?

Great question BF should be interesting.
    I use my aeropress 1-2 times per day and manual grind with a Z.
    I like the longer drink and enjoy the flavor with and without milk. Out side of that 1-2 double flat whites maybe 3 on the weekend per day.

I have just ordered a Syphon so really looking forward to that.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Like redzone, Im also using Aeropress + Z grinder but only for my coffee drinking needs at work.

Before, I was grinding my beans at home and then making a cup at work an hour or 2 later but wasnt happy with the results. Freshly ground makes a big difference.

Comment

For me, I think it depends completely on the beans I happen to have lying around at any one time.

I havent had much filter/syphon this week cos Ive had some Sidamo Dale thats just been delightful as espresso. A few weeks ago I had some Esmeralda :-* and I didnt even turn my espresso machine on for a few days cos I was enjoying that filtered.

I roast separately for espresso or brewed coffee - so it pretty much depends what Ive got, and when its peaking.

Comment

What Michelle said....

If I had to hazard a guess it would probably run out to roughly 50/50 :

Mal.

Comment

Changed the poll to sit on the fence eh Mal Seems the poll options are a little different on the new version so I have allowed 5 hours to change votes. The 50/50 added in changed my vote

Nice thing about small batches in the Hottop one for Syphon for home and an Espresso and a couple of Syphons roasts for the shop seems to work out for me about every week But for the last few days I have been finishing up a post roasted blend of MM and Peaberry so Lattes at home.

Comment

Yeah what Michelle said... including the Sidamo Dale and Esmeralda mmmm Es . I didnt turn my machine on for aabout 5 days when I had that.

I went 50/50 for kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by 25222629212B3E2E2920470 link=1232524846/5#5 date=1232542748
                Changed the poll to sit on the fence eh Mal
                No fence-sitting here mate.....

I enjoy trying coffee in as many different ways as I can and most of the alternatives to an espresso involve manual brewing methods but in order of quantity of drinks consumed, the ratio would be close to 50/50 which is what I took as your meaning.... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Before the GPP I was 80% Syphon and 20% Silvia - mainly using the Silvia in the evening.

With the GPP I now have it on a timer and pretty much use it all of the time - morning is long blacks (with milk) or Lattes and maybe a macchiato or straight espresso later in the day.

Syphon gets used when we are holidays in the van - we take the rocky with us for fresh grind.

Col.

Comment

Changed my vote. Since Syphon arrived manual 50-80% maybe only one espresso per day if that. I guess the novelty will wear off.

Chris

Comment

Im with Michelle; depends entirely on the beans. And laziness factor, I guess ... pourover drip is so damned easy to get a decent cup out of and clean up after.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

lol, just this morning i looked at the syhon, then the espresso machine, then the syphon, then the espresso machine.

...turned on the espresso machine and made a drip while waiting for it the heat up ;D

Comment

Thats about how it goes for me, heat up time on my Solis is 15-20 minutes, first Syphon is done, cleaned up and drunk by then

I have been sliding back to the espresso side a litle more recently in the mornings due to some very nice Etheopian beans. Havnt really had as much liking for them in the Syphon as espresso.

Still Syphoning the day away at work

Comment

you just need young kids to wake you up an hour early each morning... stumble in the dark, hit the switch, back to bed, voila.

Comment

Single, No Kids, Self Employed, shop opening hours of 10ish (I have a nice boss) ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X