Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stovetop Moka Pot problem & fresh coffee

Hi

I received a 9 cup stovetop moka pot at Christmas but found it a bit uneconomical for one person, so I later got a 3 cup one. It was a no-name brand at the "General Trader" kitchen store.

The 3 cup pot however has been a real dud. Im pretty sure the seal is no good, as theres always steam leaking out of it before coffee, and once the coffee eventually comes out it splurts and tastes miserable. Ive been following the many tips on the site here. The 9 cup works as its meant to, and the coffee is much nicer than the small one.

The coffee is only Vittoria from the supermarket, but Ill be getting some fresh coffee soon. Any suggestions of where to go in the Bentleigh, Bundoora or Eltham areas? Is The Beanery in Brighton any good?

Is this a common problem with 3 cup pots, or would a new better one solve it. I dont want to get another dud. I saw an Arcosteel one on sale the other day, comes with an extra seal and a 25 year guarantee. While Id love to get a Brikka or something nicer (one of those machines many of you have!), my budgets a bit tight.

Thanks in advance!
    James

Re: Stovetop Moka Pot problem & fresh coffee

Until you get fresh coffee...

You will never get the best from your system...

Lots can be done to tweek the tamp and grind... But Fresh coffee is by far the best approach.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B545D5F48775B545B5D5F575F544E3A0 link=1232753724/1#1 date=1232753909

Lots can be done to tweek the tamp and grind...  But Fresh coffee is by far the best approach.
      Oh I realise how much better fresh coffee is.

I just want to know if the seal in my 3 cup pot is no good. It doesnt behave as the other one does, nor as described in the posts here and instructions Ive been following:
      http://www.venezianocoffee.com.au/VC_images/products/pdf/pdf_1179973751.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 3D243C3D202127540 link=1232753724/2#2 date=1232769473
        Originally posted by 7B545D5F48775B545B5D5F575F544E3A0 link=1232753724/1#1 date=1232753909

Lots can be done to tweek the tamp and grind...  But Fresh coffee is by far the best approach.
        Oh I realise how much better fresh coffee is.

I just want to know if the seal in my 3 cup pot is no good. It doesnt behave as the other one does, nor as described in the posts here and instructions Ive been following:
        http://www.venezianocoffee.com.au/VC_images/products/pdf/pdf_1179973751.pdf
        I can only suggest that you Contact the sponsor directly....

Fate... I am off their right now for a coffee

Comment

Originally posted by 3C253D3C212026550 link=1232753724/0#0 date=1232753724
          The 3 cup pot however has been a real dud. Im pretty sure the seal is no good, as theres always steam leaking out of it before coffee, and once the coffee eventually comes out it splurts and tastes miserable.
          Sounds like the seal to me. You can get replacement seals for these, but if its near-new, why bother, just demand they exchange it. If the 2nd one also leaks, tellem they have a problem, and have your money back.

As for whether the coffee would be better in a more expensive version, alas I only have a cheapy (a lot like yours I suspect), so dont really know.

Comment

It sounds like the seal, if it was common to 3 cup pots to taste terrible they wouldnt make them , but contrary to the instructions you are following its advised by bialetti to use cold water and not to put so much coffee in that its required to press the coffee down

Oh but for sure its the seal which is your main problem, how much is a 3 cup pot at the general trader?

Comment

Follow up - Bought a new pot, it was on sale, $12 and comes with an extra rubber seal.

Bought fresh coffee, tastes great, working really well!

Comment

Re: Stovetop Moka Pot problem

I think I might have the same problem - can someone offer some advice?

I found a stainless steel moka pot in that (in)famous large Swedish chain for $25.  The internals are all SS too.  I grabbed it and ground up some coffee as soon as I could.

This was my first attempt at a stovetop, and it was depressing.  Bitter, with a burnt smell.  Ive since taken it to my Father-in-law who has multiple moka pots, grinders, etc. and he says that it seems to "bubble" much sooner than his. There is also a noticeable amount of steam coming out of the spout.

The seals seem to be ok, the pressure relief valve doesnt leak.  It sounds like its boiling, which doesnt seem to be right.  Any ideas?

Unfortunately I bought it on holidays and we dont have the shop in my state...

thanks in advance!

Comment

A bit of an update - I was trying this moka pot with a hand grinder that grinds very fine.  This weekend I decided to try it once more, but I used my electric conical burr grinder which has much courser settings.

With slightly courser grinds, the pot now makes good coffee!  The fine grinds must have been blocking it up.

Each time I make a cup Im going a step finer - when it gets burnt or blocks, Ill come back a step.  When I get to the optimum grind Ill put a mark on the grinder. I figure a medium-slow release of coffee without the burnt taste and smell should be about right.

Thankfully my moka pot isnt defective or Id have a hard time going camping (which was my idea).

Comment

Working...
                  X