Technivorm Moccamaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technivorm Moccamaster

Hi all, anyone had a play with one of these? Highly rated by Tom at Sweet Marias I managed to track a local agent down (Wellington) and it arrived today. After so many bad drip coffees in the past it was a pleasant surprise. Easy to operate and came with the Thermos jug so if there any left : it holds its heat well. Followed Toms instructions regarding grind size and letting the hot water partially fill before adjusting to slow drip and great stuff. Bin 35 certainly a great intro

Interested in others comments and tips !

Chris

Re: Technivorm Moccamaster

Cool, Ill be interested to know how it goes.

Comment

wow that looks pretty interesting what model and how much did it cost you ?

Comment

Its just called "Moccamaster Clubline - Thermal" on the NZ web site, its the one without a heating pad as the thermal carafe keeps it heated. One site suggested a 1 deg heat loss per hour, I have no intention of ever leaving it that long  

Cost $395 NZ including freight. I think they are $265 US over there.

Chris

Comment

that machine is insane. reading up on it and its got things like switches for the drip rate, 1400w heating elements and a sprinkler!

are you gonna do a comparison between it and the other manual coffee brewers uve gotten ?

Comment

I am new to pour over and can only comment on my personal thoughts and likes. My idea for the Auto Pour over was to be able to make several coffees in one hit with a similar taste and quality as the Aeropress. It has met this expectation and some, as black coffee it is similar to the syphon (well I think so anyway) can be made with less coffee to bring out the lighter notes. Personally I was using the Aeropress for a stronger brew in the morning and adding a little milk and sugar and the Auto is IMHO a class above, it is just a cleaner cup and of course no trouble to make 4 large mugs.
            I let it fill a little first then stir and run it on half drip speed and as Tom suggested this allows a little extra steeping. Anyway Ill keep playing

Chris

Comment

Id love to play around with a machine like this and, in fact, I was looking around for one for a while. I have run a pricey and large commercial drip brewer head to head against a domestic drip brewer and the difference in the cup was quite obvious; the commercial drip brewer was richer and more flavoursome (and that was despite it using a paper filter as opposed to the mesh filter in the domestic machine). I think that the sort of coffee that you can get out of a really good drip brewer is totally underrated in Australia. That said, I thought that the massive and obvious problem that the technivorms, etc, have is that you have to brew a relatively large amount of coffee with them. Id be interested to hear exactly how much you are brewing per batch. It was for this reason that I had a go at the manual pourover cones instead and it turns out that the brew temperature that you get from a technivorm is actually about the same as what you can get from a pourover cone.

Comment

The smallest amount so far is up to the 4, that is 500ml and right up tp maximum 10 = 1.25L. It should do less but I have not given it a go yet but will post results when I do.
                Put through the Peru Organic from BB today only 2 days post roast and this was the heaviest brew so far. Filled the water level to 10 = 1.25L and added 42gms of ground coffee. This has been the amount I am using at present and it seems enough to handle a little milk and sugar if thats what you like. I am thinking of getting the spray nozzle and swiss gold filter for a bit of variation, they say the swiss gold filter will allow a bit more of the coffee oils to flow (I have no idea) but probably worth a go.
                Off to try a lesser amount.......its all fun.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Is there anyone in Oz selling these machines? They sound like something worth trying...

Mal.

Comment

Did a 250ml brew yesterday with 9gms of Bin 35, 8 days post roast. To my limited palate it was a simple comparison, it was just slightly weaker than the larger brews with the same ratio of coffee to water. I guess a certain amount of saturation is needed and this taxes the strength of the coffee and of course the brew or steep time is quicker.
                    42gms certainly puts up a bit more resistance. Of course with the smaller amount you can stop the drip to get a bit more out of it that way but I think Ill try a couple of grams more coffee instead.

Chris

Comment

Nice looking toy, drip filter is great for a crowd or a few coffees with minimal fuss

Just taken delivery of an 8 cup Stainless Steel Electric Syphon (cloth filter) to play with this end. Initial thoughts needs better electronics Review with mods to follow.

Comment

Nice one BF look forward to pics and review.

Chris

Comment

Update: Have no complaints at all. I have ordered a Swiss Gold filter and also a different water disperser (shower vs drip) and will have a play this week. The coffee sure goes along way 32gms ground will do 3 x 300ml mugs and plenty of boogie for milk to be added. The aeropress now tastes a bit more on the rugged side (yes no cupping terms here) but is still the best IMO for one off mugs. Be interesting to taste the difference with the SG filter. If I can, that is

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Paper filter slightly longer brewing time. Also the amount of coffee you are making obviously has quite an effect on steep time. If I am doing 900ml or more the slower drip option is touch and go (looks like overflowing) in other words 32gms of coffee or more on the current grind setting. Next thing Ill adjust grind for larger brews to keep on half drip speed as the slower drip time is tasty.
                            Bin 549 currently day 5 very good

Chris

Comment

Is there anyone in Oz selling these machines? They sound like something worth trying...
                              I also would be interested...

Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X