Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drip filter or stove top moka pot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drip filter or stove top moka pot

    Long time no see, guys. Hope everyone is doing well?

    So I need some advice on some manual coffee brewing methods. I have moved away from my espresso machine temporarily and so I now need to find a new method of getting my daily fix of caffein. Normally Id just go for a plunger but i am feeling a little bit adventurous and was thinking of either trying a drip filter machine or a stove top moka pot.

    What do you guys think is the best for a busy uni student who is rushed off her feet? I kind of like the idea of the drip because i can keep some coffee warm and drink a second cup when ready, but i havent read too much about this method of brewing.

    Im thinking of heading into retravision or something tomorrow so if anyone could throw some model names at me for any equipment that would be great.

    Also could i use a crappy spice/coffee grinder for grinding coffee for either of these methods? or one of those old style hand grinders that you can get???

    Sorry for the dumb questions.

    C xo

  • #2
    Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

    Originally posted by 6D7B667F6C7B7A247A7C677B607A6C090 link=1241437455/0#0 date=1241437455
    Long time no see, guys. Hope everyone is doing well?

    So I need some advice on some manual coffee brewing methods. I have moved away from my espresso machine temporarily and so I now need to find a new method of getting my daily fix of caffein. Normally Id just go for a plunger but i am feeling a little bit adventurous and was thinking of either trying a drip filter machine or a stove top moka pot.

    What do you guys think is the best for a busy uni student who is rushed off her feet? I kind of like the idea of the drip because i can keep some coffee warm and drink a second cup when ready, but i havent read too much about this method of brewing.

    Im thinking of heading into retravision or something tomorrow so if anyone could throw some model names at me for any equipment that would be great.

    Also could i use a crappy spice/coffee grinder for grinding coffee for either of these methods? or one of those old style hand grinders that you can get???

    Sorry for the dumb questions.

    C xo
    I would look at one of the siyphon/syphon methods... Plunger is boring

    All depends on you $$$ and I guess the grinder / beans you have..

    One of the Balance syphon types grabs me at the moment... But a bit $$$ and I keep getting 404 error page not found when talking to the wife about Coffee.

    There are some interesting posts on the syphon methods and they will allow you to have more than one cup on hand... They are / can also be a talking piece when that some one special comes over..

    AM

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

      Im a student so dont have a lot of money to play with unfortunately, and also I do not have a lot of room, and I want something quick, and easy to learn, I dont have the time for learning about the syphon method, and probably not the patients either. Thanks for the suggestion though, if in the future i am in a better location, and position, I will definitely check it out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

        I would go the syphon but I love my manual dripper.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

          Originally posted by 07110C150611104E10160D110A1006630 link=1241437455/2#2 date=1241438311
          Im a student so dont have a lot of money to play with unfortunately, and also I do not have a lot of room, and I want something quick, and easy to learn, I dont have the time for learning about the syphon method, and probably not the patients either. Thanks for the suggestion though, if in the future i am in a better location, and position, I will definitely check it out.
          So how much $$$ are you looking at ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

            Under $100 which is why I was looking at a moka pot or drip filter. I know, I know, a very lowly budget wont get me far, but unfortunately i have to be sensible with what little cash I get. If i can get a half decent coffee itll do me - anything is better than instant.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

              Originally posted by 604F4644536C404F4046444C444F55210 link=1241437455/4#4 date=1241438452
              and I want something quick, and easy to learn
              Quick is not always the answer, it just takes a couple of minutes to make a syphon brew once you have boiled the kettle, and dripper even less time.
              If price is an issue plastic dripper cost me less than $15 syphon $129

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                Filter cone and paper - easy! I have it most mornings. Its super easy, super cheap, and for me one of the best ways to enjoy my single origins.

                Ive had less than 2 coffees from a moka pot that I would call good. 100s from paper filtered, that Id call excellent.  8-) Plus as far as caffeine goes, the filter definitely hits the spot too in the mornings.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                  I remember the broke student days, I now just suffer from the broke shop owner days

                  Grab a good quality second hand manual grinder off ferralbay (dont buy cheap chinese) and go either Drip or Plunger. My preference is Syphon (I own a few : ) for flavour but the others are cheaper.

                  If you can stretch the budget on the grinder a little the Kyocera grinder on offer at present at $99 posted looks the goods for a new one.

                  Even for plunger the chopper grinders will give you to many fines so you get a sludgey cup :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                    Originally posted by 787F7B747C766373747D1A0 link=1241437455/8#8 date=1241439464
                    I remember the broke student days, I now just suffer from the broke shop owner days

                    Grab a good quality second hand manual grinder off ferralbay (dont buy cheap chinese) and go either Drip or Plunger. My preference is Syphon (I own a few  : ) for flavour but the others are cheaper.

                    If you can stretch the budget on the grinder a little the Kyocera grinder on offer at present at $99 posted looks the goods for a new one.

                    Even for plunger the chopper grinders will give you to many fines so you get a sludgey cup  :P
                    Hey BF :-) drovers-sunrise only has a $100, so if she buys a Grinder... You up for loaning a syphon ;D

                    Oh and drovers-sunrise; As to space... Some of teh syphon units are rather neat and compact..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                      Maybe Commercial Hire Purchase on the Syphon AM Mmmm New business opportunity ;D

                      Syphons have the same footprint of a drip or Plunger really so space is not a consideration.

                      BTW on the Plunger thing Aldi have a $25 Twin walled S/Steel Plunger on this coming weeks specials list.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                        Youre looking at different brewing methods that produce different results in the cup. Moka Pot produces a richer, stronger brew than a drip filter, probably with less acidity and more body. Of the two, this is definitely the way to go if you are going to add milk. Filter, generally speaking, brings out more acidity and less body, consequently allowing the more subtle flavours to shine through. This is definitely not the way to go if you are going to add milk.

                        Pretty much nothing compares with pourover cone and paper filter in terms of ease of use. The plastic filter cones arent bad, but they do get a bit tarnished after use. The ceramic filter cones are comparatively expensive, but you are assured that they are inert. The difficulty is in finding filter paper. Brown paper and some bleached white papers impart a papery taste and are total garbage. I would look for a good bleached paper filter. You can also get a reusable filter like a mesh filter or a SwissGold. I have found that these all let through sediment, which you might or might not find to be an issue. With some coffee, I like to steep it, then filter it.

                        Grinder-wise, if you absolutely and totally have no choice but to go for a bad quality grinder, you might find some improvement by setting it to the coarsest setting and sieving out the fines. You might need to steep for longer, but at least it will cut down on the bitterness.

                        Cheers,

                        Luca

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                          [split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241525050/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Drip filter or stove top moka pot

                            [split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241525050/1#1][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X