Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Restore Job

Hello all,

Once again I am in the middle of another coffee related project...(machine number 8)

But I think this one will be easy and fun.

I just picked up an old Rusty looking Atomic from feralbay on the cheap.

I thought it would take me hours to clean up and sand down.

I now have spent around 20 minute will some fine steel wool and water and it is already looking 100 times better.

I am in two mind weather to polish it to shiny again or leave it with its aged look.  What do the CSers think?

Take a look and let me know

Chris

Re: Atomic Restore Job

I know others may think that its sacrilege
    But I like shiny things
    So I vote to polish it up

KK

Comment

Im voting for leave it rustic, but I collect atari, so I fancy my idea of whats an acceptable "vintageness" is different to others.
      Shiny would look nice too tho, Im sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E666F6A606A6C7670030 link=1242741640/2#2 date=1242743734
        Im voting for leave it rustic, but I collect atari,
        I have an Atari 520 ST as new in box with books and advertising brochures ect

KK

Comment

Go the natural pattina look as the polish will dull soon anyway.

Rather than an abrasive cleaning grab some Citric acid or 3 in 1 machine cleaner as the next step this will bring it back a long way. Also check out this thread for some info if you havnt had a read yet http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1236240384

Comment

Isnt the atomic aluminium? Meaning citric would be a bad idea.

Comment

No Citric is very mild and does a good job and compared to other available in the home like vineger doesnt taste much. Long discussion in the above thread on cleaning of Aluminium.

Comment

I vote for the POLISH.

My step-father in law .. is a traditional Antique restorer.  Does everything by hand .. no dipping.   Anyway ... the real beauty of an antique piece is its "imperfections"  the dents and dings that it collects in its lifetime.  An Anitique restorers job is to bring that piece of furniture back to life (meaning to restore its newness .. its shine) BUT leaving the pieces Character intact.  

The Sorrentina thread has nice pics and detailed explanations on what to use to bring life back to your Atomic. (Have a look a Jacks model B for inspiration .. reply #26 .. shiny .. but with HEAPS of Character)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1236240384

Comment

I love retro things, and before my Atari, I had my Snoopy game.

But i also love really shiny things.

Not too sure about citric on aluminium, but i just let the machine sit in Cafetto Vanish Descaler overnight. This worked a fair bit of the scale off.

Pulled it out this morning, need to wait for the spare parts to arrive before i can boil this through the machine but am happy with the progress.

oh and a picture of the snoopy game if anyone cares...

Comment

Originally posted by 446069696A6A5044607C62600F0 link=1242741640/3#3 date=1242775545
                    Originally posted by 6E666F6A606A6C7670030 link=1242741640/2#2 date=1242743734
                    Im voting for leave it rustic, but I collect atari,  
                    I have an Atari 520 ST as new in box with books and advertising brochures ect

KK
                    sweet - I got the full spectrum of 2600s (from Big Woody to darth and rainbow/junior)... the ST is whole lot more to collect, dont think Id even start. But that snoopy is making me heaps jealous lol... i reckon I could just have 1 of those.

Comment

hmmm, to shine or not to shine- that is the question.

In this case I vote for polish like mad. With Autosol.

Because the new parts (which you just ordered, thankyou) are super shiny and the body wont match otherwise.

Also I am (perhaps selfishly) interested to see how far you can get that Atomic- because it is pretty much as basic as things can get as far as a restoration project goes- the bare minimum- bare bones- like building a Model T ford starting with only the chassis (only a lot easier).

But that chassis is a solid piece of alloy, sand cast (pretty much by hand) in a single piece- in Milan- and I think it could be a real surprise just how far it can be recalled to life.

Cant wait to see the end result.

Just be careful of the label on the top. These can be damaged easily on some of the older machines- and getting a new one from Bon is impossible unless you go there in person.

Comment

I think John has a point here, all my new parts will be super shiny so I think the Body should match.

Now that i am in the chassis stage i will be sanding like crazy... getting ready for the parts to arrive and the going crazy on the polish before the final re assembly.

There are a few too many Character marks on this one, I think the previouse owner got a bit too agressive when they removed the Black water knob.

So off to the workbench for me.

Comment

your parts should arrive today Chris.

A word of caution- lay off the steel wool- try and use the finest grade sandpaper you have from here on in - and then finish with the Autosol (I put some in the package) and soft cloth rags. You may need to work a little extra to get out the micro scratches put in by the steel wool...

I must say- congratulations on cleaning the label- you managed to bring it back to white and black without destroying it.

Be sure to message me in a few weeks- I have a new order of stainless baskets coming in around then and will send you one free. Stocks are too low at the moment...

Comment

Thanks John, The label was cleaned with a soft sponge and water only... really really slowly

Have not used the steel wool since the first clean. But it was a very fine steel wool not the stuff you scrub the pots and pans with. Have been using fine sand papper ever since, and am awaiting the parts to polish and to put it all together.

Hopefully up and running by the end of the weekend.

Comment

So a weekend of working on the polish and some fine tuning to get the new black knob to fit, I have completed this restoration in about a week.

Thanks to the guys at La Sorrentina for all the spare parts & polish and advise and to the CSers opinion above.

Still a few character dints and scratchs left but i think it adds to the story of peice. Its more than just a coffee maker, it has history and charm.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X