Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halogen Heaters for Syphon Filter

Hi

Im having real trouble using the provided flame burner with my Hario syphon filter. I may not be using the right fuel as Im getting a very smokey flame, so was hoping someone could help out with either a better technique, or somewhere to get an alternative from? Ive seen the halogen heaters and they look great and seem to work really well, but seem very expensive. Any great ideas anyone? Would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: Halogen Heaters for Syphon Filter

Originally posted by 565E4C6F7C677D7A6F0E0 link=1243980479/0#0 date=1243980479
    Hi

Im having real trouble using the provided flame burner with my Hario syphon filter. I may not be using the right fuel as Im getting a very smokey flame, so was hoping someone could help out with either a better technique, or somewhere to get an alternative from? Ive seen the halogen heaters and they look great and seem to work really well, but seem very expensive. Any great ideas anyone? Would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, Ive never used the burners that come with the Harios, I was told they suck so didnt bother. The halogen burners are way cool but super $$$ - YeeZas the man to ask about em, pretty sure he loves his 8-)

Have you had a try of the little butane burners Sorrentina Coffee sell? Im borrowing one at the moment and its brilliant. Much cheaper too.

Comment

This is it: http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/refillable-butane-gas-burner-for-siphon-vacuum-coffee-brewers

Comment

Welcome to CS

I still use a fuel burner on a couple of my brewers as they wont take the butane one. I am using Methelated Spirits but it is a high purity one and clear in colour. Some of the hardware ones to smell badly and are smokier and if you are using kerosene it doesnt burn hot enough and is very smokey. I still get a slight whiff while the burner is running. Try this while you are waiting for your Butane one

The Hario ones are great to use the few goes I have had of one but you also need to add a 240 - 100V voltage converter so well over the top for price even allowing for bling factor (I still want one though : )

Go the butane, grab some lighter roasted beans and enjoy the playing

Comment

go for the butane burner. the halogen is too expensive and isnt as adjustable as the butane burner. You can speed up the process by heating up the water before pouring it into the syphon as well.

i think sorentina coffee sells LPG burners as well now if you are a really heavy user.

Comment

Originally posted by 47035546330 link=1243980479/4#4 date=1243990598
            the halogen is too expensive and isnt as adjustable as the butane burner.
            hmm, pretty sure the halogen is adjustable, and very easily. I like both versions (halogen and gas). Gas is way faster, but I find you can keep the upper bowl temp a lot more stable with the halogen as opposed to the gas. Although gas is a heap faster. Jacks ones are the goods. For $40 or how ever much they are, theyre the best for sure.

<----My halogen burner from Japan is awesome. It cost heaps, but I dont care, cos its lush. 8-)

Comment

Gas FTW!

Comment

Hello All,

So when people say that Halogen Burners are expensive, just how expensive are we talking?

Also, is Japan the only place that I can get one?

Thanks
                Morgs

Comment

circa $500. There is a voltage problem too as far as I know you cant get them in 220-240V versions. Much as these are a cool toy gas is more responsive and cheaper too.

Comment

We now also stock them at Di Bella Coffee Roasting Warehouse Sydney & Melbourne. Come in and have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by 08250E2920202D1E232D3F3825222B1F15084C0 link=1243980479/9#9 date=1291319590
                      We now also stock them at Di Bella Coffee Roasting Warehouse Sydney & Melbourne. Come in and have a look!
                      And how much are we selling them for in Sydney & Melbourne?

Comment

Originally posted by 6D406B4C4545487B46485A5D40474E7A706D290 link=1243980479/9#9 date=1291319590
                        And what voltage are they?

Comment

They are $489, and the voltage is 220V. All that is required is an adaptor to convert from a Japanese plug to an Australian one - costs around $2-$6.
                          Too easy!

Comment

I had a look at the Di Bella web store but could not find any halogen heaters listed.

I realise this is an old thread but... :-/

Comment

Working...
                            X