Best brewing methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best brewing methods

At the moment I have no grinder and am using a Sunbeam drip machine which, while quick and convenient, I suspect does not make the best cup of coffee. Every cup, no matter the type of coffee used, has an acidy/soury taste that I think comes from a too high water temperature and although I do eventually taste the coffee itself I have to get through the first part before that happens.

Please keep suggestions to manual methods for now. I figure my best bet is probably a manual pour-over but Id like to hear about other methods as well, or at least verification of the pour-over method.

Hopefully Ill have a grinder in the next few months, thats the plan anyway.

Re: Best brewing methods

New Bean,

Sour tastes often come from too cool water being used. Drip machines are notorious for inconsistent water temps.

If youre on a tight budget, get yourself a cheapy hand grinder (the burr type, not a spice grinder). Cooking stores usually sell them for $30 or so.

Then buy a pour over like the ones in this reply: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1242206574/29#2

A fellow Brisbanenite might be able to tell you where to get them locally.

This combination will produce drinkable coffee. I use this method at work and its miles ahead of the super automatics my office has.

And remember, always use fresh beans, roasted no more than 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Yes one of those plastic cones is the go with paper filters and as Acog says some fresh roasted and ground coffee and you will have a great cup. Remember to pour at least 300ml of boiling water through the filter holder with the paper filter in it first, IMO almost all paper has a little taste to it.

Enjoy

BTW you can get a Dutch designed drip machine that keeps a stable temp (ish) but over here they are $400NZ, manual pour over rules !

Comment

I have never really enjoyed drip machine coffee as always I found it bitter until I got my Technivorm. So far I have enjoyed every brew from it. I also used a manual pour over or my Eva Solo Cafe Solo when i did not want espresso which I enjoyed before I got my Technivorm.

Comment

Hmmm, it looks like Veneziano Caffe has some of whats being recommended, Ill check it out on the weekend and will hopefully get some better coffee out of it.

That Technivorm looks pretty nifty!

Comment

I vote for buying a plunger coffee maker, as well as a basic grinder and an air-style popcorn popper.

This way, for well under $100, youll be able to roast and grind your own beans...and drink the results as well!

For me, the biggest change in quality wasnt moving from a plunger and dripolator to a nice espresso machine. It was roasting and grinding my own beans.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Since its still a few days until the weekend and since Ive still got some BeanBay pre-ground I thought Id use my drip as a manual pour-over and see how it turns out...

...its not too bad! A bit on the weak side (Ill have to add a bit more coffee) but no hint of sourness at all and the flavour of the coffee sits for a lot longer.

Im very interested in roasting at home and its definitely something Ill be looking into once I have a better setup. Or maybe Ill be getting a popcorn maker on the weekend too, who knows

Comment

What about a syphon?

Comment

Syphon rocks.

New Bean, try to stick to around 60grams per litre. I also steep mine in a separate container then use the pour over as a way of filtering it. Steep for just under a minute and try it. I find this works very well and always leaves the brew nicely balanced.

Comment

The syphon is good and the Cona makes a great cup
                    However I need to get a different style of filter to replace the glass rod as it lets in some coffee grounds

What is the most affective filter for a syphon brewing system
                    Any suggestions

Or something like this
                    KK

Comment

KK very similar to your picture but the cloth fits over a mesh gaurd also, then the cup is very very clean in terms of fines. Of course some like a little extra in the cup. I guess you have tried a courser grind with the glass rod already?
                      "New Bean" plunger might be a good suggestion if you want a bit more boogy in the brew or just add more coffee to the filter, as Acog said 6-7gms per 100ml for a starting point.
                      My paper filter pour overs are usually 16gms per 300mls.
                      Have a play.

Chris

Comment

Alright, so it looks like theres a few things Ill be checking out on the weekend (plungers, pour-overs and syphons if Veneziano has them). Ive also just used the last of my pre-ground so the timing is good for switching to a new brewing device.

Comment

Lots of choices but its what YOU like in the end

I prefer Syphon to Pour over but I am far more practised up with them. Plunger can be fairly good too albeit it more muddied in flavours than the other two options.

If you cant get a Syphon locally then a chat to Sorrentina is in order and get the option with the Butane Burner.

KK go the cloth one from Jack it should fit. You will just need to make sure it sits straight in the upper chamber as there is no locator like in some of the others.

Comment

Woo! Paid a visit to Veneziano this arve and walked out with an 8-cup plunger, a Swiss Gold...thingy and a bag of pre-ground coffee (ground for the plunger).

I tried the Swiss Gold first and I dont think the grind I have is the best for it as it was very weak. I might give twice the coffee a go later but I think I need a finer grind.

The plunger just works and the mesh is fine enough that very little coffee comes through. The result is heaps better than the auto-drip I was using.

Now I need to move the grinder up a few spots on the to buy list...

Comment

New bean I think I was there when you bought your items. I was the guy that told you I use my swiss gold over my chemex.

How much coffee did you use (what blend S/O) and how much water?

Comment

Working...
                              X