Aeropress question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeropress question

I got my Aeropress and Kyocera grinder yesterday, thanks Mark  8-).
    I have a (quite possibly very stupid) question about the Aeropress.
    What are these two parts for  :-[?

Re: Aeropress question

The item on the left is a stand for holder the Aeropress while filling ( I presume). I never use it.

the one of the right is a funnel for when adding grinds - I never use it.

Comment

Lovey,
      I use the one on the left to store my paper filters in, and to sit the AP on it after use
      I dont use the funnel
      I dont squeeze into a cup, instead I sit the AP on a 600ml s/s milk jug, squeeze (and sweat), then pour extracted coffee from jug to cups.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I initially thought that the funnel might be to fit in/onto an espresso cup, but its too big :-/.
        I also thought that the filter papers fitted nicely into the stand .
        Thanks again,
        Steve.

Comment

Left = paper holder, the gap is so you can use your finger to lift one out

Right = funnel for ground coffee, which I dont use either as the kyocera grinder cup is a perfect fit

Comment

I used to use the funnel with rocky when I wanted to bag ground coffee - it fits nicely under the doser. Now that I have a kyocera, the funnel has moved to the roasting bench where it is used when pouring beans form gene cafe into one way valve bags

Comment

There you go. Never figured on the paper holder use. I still have mine in the original plastic wrapper.

Originally posted by 695F5F435B65765B4E4E5F3A0 link=1253147305/2#2 date=1253148777
              I dont squeeze into a cup, instead I sit the AP on a 600ml s/s milk jug, squeeze (and sweat), then pour extracted coffee from jug to cups.
              I always extract straight into the cup though there is always the issue of having to use cups that have are wide enough.

Dont sweat too hard when taking the plunge. Try depressing a little at a time and allowing the air pressure to do the work. Also, try a slightly coarser grind with a bit more than one scoop per cup and adding a bit more water.
              For example, with one cup, Ive been using about 1.25 scoops, grind to a coarse espresso and add water till it reaches the top of the number or even the mid-way point.

Comment

Thanks flynn aus.
                could you clarify for me please...what number specifically do you add water to for a 1 cup (and dont say 1)

Comment

Originally posted by 1523233F27190A27323223460 link=1253147305/7#7 date=1253154011
                  what number specifically do you add water to for a 1 cup
                  I top up to almost 1.5. I started doing this mainly to compensate for air pockets in the grounds. When you start stirring, the level is just to the top of the 1. Also I like my coffee a little on the strong side.

It also depends on cup size and taste. The specs says the Aeropress can make up to 4 cups or 2 mugs but not sure how big a mug is.

One I made yesterday in a largish mug was a little on the weak side for my tastes. I tried a smaller mug today - probably holds about 300mL - and it was a bit on the strong side but quite nice for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by 373D283F3F302422510 link=1253147305/8#8 date=1253157639
                    I top up to almost 1.5. I started doing this mainly to compensate for air pockets in the grounds. When you start stirring, the level is just to the top of the 1. Also I like my coffee a little on the strong side.
                    Thanks mate.

When I use the AP, I only tend to use it for 2 milk based coffees at a time.

No laughing pleae, but this is my routine lately.

1. 2 scoops of coffee
                    2. Fill chamber with boiled water to 3-3.5 !
                    3. Stir
                    4. Press down to 1.5 (I find pulling short of the puck reduces the bitterness a bit).
                    5. Pour coffee into 2 cups (espresso quantity)
                    6. Microwave some milk (be careful....milk and microwaves can make for some fun)
                    7. Top up cups with boiled water
                    8. Add Milk to taste

Comment

Originally posted by 6751514D556B7855404051340 link=1253147305/9#9 date=1253161599
                      No laughing pleae
                      Dont see a problem with that. Your technique is somewhat similar. Good tip on the ristretto shot tho.

Earlier this year while in Singapore I was preparing espresso qty shots then topping up with hot water and then a dash of milk staright out of the bottle.

Dunno what you would call that - a white Americano??

Comment

If you are filling the chamber with boiled water to 3.5 for 2 scoops of coffee, I think you are in danger of over-extraction and bitter coffee, although I see you are trying to counteract that by pulling the coffee short.
                        I dont know what temp water you are putting into the aeropress, but I dont use boiling water. I add about 150-200 ml of cold water to a just boiled jug to cool the water going into the aeropress to around 85ºC.
                        For a single coffee, I add 14gms of coffee, and fill the hot water to the middle of the 1, stir it for 5-6 seconds, then wait another 5-6 seconds before plunging slowly and steadily.
                        This provides about 60ml of coffee, which if I want a mug of white coffee I will top up with boiling water, and then add milk.

Comment

For anyone with a kyocera grinder, filling the top chamber gives you about 20gm of beans. i go just shy of that for 19gm, and use water to about 1.75, although I invert mine anyway (see below). this seems to give a good flavour for my americano-style.

Comment

doug, Ive read about people doing this a few times, but cant understand why, or what it offers to the taste?

Comment

I started off cooling the water down too, but I got slack. Nowadays, I boil water and let it sit while I scratch around for cups (might sit longer if the footys on).

90% of my coffees I drink at home are espressos and the AP was intended for travelling AND a crafty way of getting mrs off instant.

Theres no way in the past, I could ever sit down with the laaady and share espressos at night.....however, we have an AP together once the kids are in bed.

Master plan working.

Seeya

Comment

Working...
                              X