No announcement yet.

Manual coffee making, where to go next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual coffee making, where to go next?

Ive been using a Vittoria moka pot for a while with good results, but I was wondering.

What is the next step I should take to have a slightly better coffee?

My idea is to buy a bialetti brikka, and get some crema, but Im not sure if its logical or worth it for the price.

Im not looking to get into anything extremely expensive or overly complex.

Any suggestions?

PS: I purchased a kyocera manual grinder already :-)

Re: Recommend me a next step

Hi Jolt,

and welcome to coffeesnobs. A step up, which is not expensive could be the aeropress. I think they retail at about $50 and can be bought, e.g., from the sponsor who sells the kyocera manual grinder.

Quite a few people around here like the aeropress. In my very limited experience, it easily makes better coffee than a moka pot.

Cheers

Daniel

Comment

Re: Manual coffee making, where to go next?

Hi Jolt

If you enjoy coffee from a stovetop and would like to get the best out of it then you really need to take a look at the following thread...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1175047754/29#29

I sell the Aeropress and would not recommend it as a step up. Its an entirely different beastie that does make clean-tasting coffee, is a great travel companion and produces zilch crema.

Comment

Thanks for the link Dennis.
        I agree with you 100% about the aeropress.

I think ill probably stick to stove tops, but Id really like to start getting some crema from it.

I wonder wether its possible with a simple one or I need to get a brika :-/

Comment

Is crema better? Have you ever just tasted the crema from an espresso, I suggest you do you might be suprised and what you taste.

Comment

Originally posted by 5658555A4D5B5A340 link=1257747715/4#4 date=1258020407
            Is crema better? Have you ever just tasted the crema from an espresso, I suggest you do you might be suprised and what you taste
            Good point MC, to me most times a short black is better stirred before drinking, the Crema on its own can be a nasty beast. I occasionally use a Moka pot and IMO a forced crema of some sort has the potential to spoil it, but of course thats just my thoughts

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 7C6B6A7461606B3F3C3F0E0 link=1257747715/5#5 date=1258698214
              Originally posted by 5658555A4D5B5A340 link=1257747715/4#4 date=1258020407
              Is crema better? Have you ever just tasted the crema from an espresso, I suggest you do you might be suprised and what you taste
              Good point MC, to me most times a short black is better stirred before drinking, the Crema on its own can be a nasty beast. I occasionally use a Moka pot and IMO a forced crema of some sort has the potential to spoil it, but of course thats just my thoughts  

Chris
              I have found that in a number cases... If ya dont stir in teh crema you can / may assume the worse..

Have had some that tast crap and nothing changes.. Others are a bit out there, but when stired in.. A great coffee.

Had a Indo Robusta the other day and that was interesting and the crema was almost the mildest part.. In fact it was good enough that I had to have a second one...

At the CS meet up in Brisbane I also had a Espresso and Blue Vain cheese.. While interesting... It would be a taste that you would need to learn to love :-X

Comment

doesnt it depend on the crema?

Comment

Was talking about just the crema not stirring it in, it is an interesting experiment. ie get a spoon out and just get crema.

Comment

in my limited experience, different cremas can taste a lot different - with a lot more variation than i expected!

Comment

Working...
                    X