My Pressi Twist, first pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Pressi Twist, first pull

Just received my newest coffee machine, a My Pressi Twist, and I had to do a pull to see if it stood up to all the SCAA hype, and it does.

The very first pull was with my Kyocera hand grinder at its finest setting, one click back from burrs touching, and the every first pull was a tight restritto, to the point that flow stopped after about five seconds.

Reset the grinder to three clicks out, and did another pull, light colour to the crema, probably from slightly too coarse a grind, but a nice balanced shot from Oomph Java Joe beans.
    The crema started with the first flow, which is more of an indication of the age of the beans than the machine, and filled the glass with guinness effect only showing a layer of espresso at the very end of the shot.

The trick is to do lots of pre heating of the machine itself, as picked up from the you tube videos of how to drive the machine.

As it has been bought for camping, the hot water was from my Jetboil, and hence the use of the Kyocera hand grinder.

The next play will be with the grinder set at two clicks, and I will set myself up to take some photos to post here.

So far I am very pleased, well made and solid feeling machine.

Re: My Pressi Twist, first pull

Mine Twist today and I pulled two triples (22gms) with it after lunch. I have to say that I am really impressed with this gadget. Both pulls of Yirg tasted of higher notes with less chocolate than with my espresso machine but were SO GOOD!!!! They were both better than the best coffee that I have tried in Central Coast cafes to date....seriously.

The beans for these shots were ground with the Robur. I will get used to the Twist a bit more before I try grinding with the Porlex (which from what I have read is very similar to the Kyocera....rumour has it that they share identical ceramic burrs. The Porlex is encased in stainless steel).

The Twist is a doddle to use and will make a great accomplice at my work and on trips away. What a great invention!

Comment

Gentlemen,
      do you buy the charge bottles locally? Im considering the MyPressi for a travel machine but fear the dangerous goods restrictions for the bottles (re air travel).

Cheers

Comment

I bought some from a local hardware store which had both N2O and CO2 types.

In Australia they are said to be available freely from chef supply shops but I havent looked into that yet.

Comment

if its those little cannisters, they used to sell them at supermarkets (although havent made sparkler bombs in a while so Im not sure if they still stock them). Maybe bottleshops might have them for the soda syphons?

Comment

Originally posted by 14252B282B440 link=1262073151/3#3 date=1262116643
            chef supply shops
            Yeah, the Nitrous Oxide (N2O) ones are used in hand cream whippers and "Chef shops" and good kitchenware ones will have them.

Originally posted by 202B31237C75440 link=1262073151/4#4 date=1262129113
            sparkler bombs
            tsk tsk... I think that a terrorist charge now.

Originally posted by 202B31237C75440 link=1262073151/4#4 date=1262129113
            bottleshops might have them for the soda syphons
            Soda syphons use Carbon Dioxide (CO2), not N2O.

Hey Andy-Gadget and Paolo...
            Does the My Pressi push the gas through the shot or does it only push a piston to create the pressure?

If the gas goes through the shot then using CO2 will be salty and the N2O will be sweet so I would expect that you will be happier with cream whipper bulbs than with soda syphon ones.

Comment

Hi Andy,
              I "borrowed" this from a review of the Twist....

"In a nutshell, the TWIST uses compressed gas (N2O) which travels through a pressure regulator to create 9 bars of pressure. The pressurized gas enters a water chamber full of preheated water and pushes the water through a dry coffee bed. There is no pump nor a boiler. A N2O cartridge, like the ones for whipped cream chargers, is used as the "pump". "

From my understanding, CO2 will saturate into cold/chilledwater and make it bubbly if there is nowhere else for the water to go. ie. like in a sealed soda syphon. In the Twist, the water is pushed rather than impregnated with the bubbles of gas.

I have used the CO2 bulbs and there are definitely no salty flavours.

Cheers,
              Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by 6E5F5152513E0 link=1262073151/3#3 date=1262116643
                ocal hardware store
                So theyre the generic bottles and not MyPressi specific? Brilliant.

Thank you

Comment

This is my camping setup spread out, all the jetboil bits fit inside its bowl, other than the gas cartridge (a small one does fit inside, but I use the larger one for home experiments), the carton of nitrous oxide dont go with me either, just a few canisters.

250 mL of cool water in the Jetboil.

The Kyocera grinder full of Oomph beans, if I start the jet boil before grinding the beans, it is boiling at about the time I finish.

The ground beans.

The pressure chamber full of hot water, on the pot adapter of the Jetboil.

The handle in the Jetboil pot.

After a warm through, the water in the pressure chamber is discarded, the handle is assembled with the spout holder (that can be left off, making it a crotchless PF), the shower screen is fitted to the pressure chamber and the fill access left off.

Filling the pressure chamber.

The gas hole is on the left.

The trigger is pulled to send the nitrous oxide to the chamber and the shot is pulled.

This shot is at three clicks from smallest, and was a little fast, so I will be either tamping harder or grinding at two clicks.

The shot.

The group handle basket.

The puck is firm.

Inside the pressure chamber after the shot, looking at the top of the shower screen holder.

The spout holder, the gas hole is on the left, the O ring is easy to loose down the sink drain when flushing the handle under the tap, guess how I know this :

Comment

Great photos - Where do you get Mypressi in NSW?

Comment

Very Impressive Andy.... : 8-)

A gadget that actually produces the goods.... Excellent [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C4F5A52533D0 link=1262073151/9#9 date=1262157793
                        Great photos - Where do you get Mypressi in NSW?
                        pm sent Argon.

Comment

Does the tamper come with the My Pressi? What is the diameter out of interest?

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by 6D4A41707C2F0 link=1262073151/12#12 date=1262208558

Ben
                            Yes Ben it does - 53mm.

Comment

Originally posted by 4562695854070 link=1262073151/12#12 date=1262208558

Ben
                              Typical POS plastic tamper comes with the machine, I knew it was going to be a PITA so I bought a good 53mm tamper in town when I ordered the machine.
                              The plastic tamper hasnt come out of its plastic bag, and never will if I have any say in the matter

Comment

Working...
                              X