OTTO espresso machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTTO espresso machine

Friend of mine just bought an OTTO stovetop espresso machine on impulse.

RRP is $800 and it appears to be aussie designed and built. Will be giving it its first run on the weekend.

I did a search on the forum but there doesnt seem to have been any discussion so far.

Anyone heard of it?

mod edit to remove commercial link

Re: OTTO espresso machine

Yes and they work very well. BTW you are bound to be modded if you dont take the link out too Also their is a manual brewing section where this sort of stuff goes.

Comment

Saw one demonstrated at Di Bartoli at the Christmas get together.
      A lot of engineering has gone into those things.
      Coffee tasted good too.

Comment

I am thinking of buying one w my first pay cheaque!
        V excited but I thought I would ask around first to gather peoples opninions and experiences w the Otto. If u have one or hVe drunk a coffee made w an Otto I would love lve to hear all r feedback!

Big thanks!

Comment

Welcome BTW WW4L

At the end of the day it is just a blingy Atomic stovetop with some good improvements. That is you are getting stovetop style coffee and a milk steamer, not a true 9bar type espresso (putting on flame suit : ).

Q do you already own an espresso machine or is this to be your machine? Also do you have a grinder?

To get the best out of this any preground is likely to do one of two things, to course gush out and be low on flavour, to fine clog and be slow overheat and over extract. So a grinder is a bit of a must.

Comment

Originally posted by 7077737C747E6B7B7C75120 link=1265937389/4#4 date=1266028337
            Q do you already own an espresso machine or is this to be your machine? Also do you have a grinder?

And we could add to that, do you own a qwerty keyboard? ;D

Welcome willworkforlatte, lotsa reading for you to undertake to understand what beanflying is telling you.

Enjoy the trip.

Chris

Comment

The chrome finish is absolutely gorgeous in real life! I have to say the box which is intended to make the OTTO portable is rather larger than Id like but it does include everything including two glasses and a milk jug.

We did a few runs with some Honduras beans using the same grind on my Mazzer E as I use for my Giotto. It was not as easy to get crema as shown in the sample videos on the OTTO web site but certainly a good extraction and consistent during our multiple runs. The milk steaming is surprisingly good and spot on for the two cup volume it is designed for.

Looking at the build design Id say this IS an espresso machine and although I have no way to measure, the fact I was seeing similar extraction to my Giotto tells me it is getting similar pressure. Listing actual pressure is bollocks anyway as the reference pressure vs the real pressure while in use can vary a lot (ala cheapie machines in department stores)

The minimum cycle time is 10 minutes and the whole thing is bloody hot once it gets going. The flip side is that it makes it very temperature stable. There are plenty of bakelite bits to hang onto and you can lift the machine by any of them as the build is very sturdy.

It comes with two rather narrow but deep baskets and a chunky well fitted plastic tamper (vastly better than the nasty bit of ill fitting plastic that came with my Giotto). One basket looks like a typical double basket while the other has only 30 or so holes tightly clustered in in the centre. The latter is designed for supermarket grind levels and although we didnt try it, I dont have any reason to doubt it would do a good job in the circumstances.

Since I was using the exact same grind on my Giotto I was able to make side by side cups for comparison. The flavour was obviously very much the same although the OTTO cup was somewhat milder in overal body. We only made flat whites (which was an oversight for comparison purposes).

The only killer for me is the price. $800 is simply too much for the functionality it provides. The box is too big for airline travel (and rather heavy at 8kg) so using it for travel is somewhat limited.

The serial number of the unit is stamped into the base and this one was in the low 700s. Ill post some pics of our trial later.

Comment

Originally posted by 3B3D2E3B30393E2928285C0 link=1265937389/6#6 date=1266199158
                The chrome finish is absolutely gorgeous in real life!
                Polished stainless not chrome!

They are a great looker and I have had some pretty good shots from them too. Di Bartoli , Real Coffee and Jetblack are selling them and I expect a few other site sponsors will have them in stock soon.

I look forward to reading more of your review.

Comment

Originally posted by 414754414A4344535252260 link=1265937389/6#6 date=1266199158
                  absolutely gorgeous in real life
                  Pic for those interested

Comment

I am in Love............

And I just had to have one.........

Dont use it often, and there is still room for me to improve my technique. And when we go camping, our mates will be crawling for good coffee!

It was a pacifier when my dog was in the vet having fishooks removed from his nether regions............well it made me feel better anyway. (Ya boo sucks to lazy dumb fisherfolk).

Ofra at De Bartoli was just fab to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by 585F5B545C564353545D3A0 link=1265937389/4#4 date=1266028337
                      At the end of the day it is just a blingy Atomic stovetop with some good improvements. That is you are getting stovetop style coffee and a milk steamer, not a true 9bar type espresso
                      Hi everyone,

You may not get 9 BAR with the Otto but it is MUCH closer to a real espresso than it is to standard stove top style.  You do get crema and great mouthfeel and an intensity you would associate with espresso.

Deb

Comment

Originally posted by 406F7E48666B6961496B6C6F0A0 link=1265937389/10#10 date=1266375505
                        the Otto but it is MUCH closer to a real espresso than it is to standard stove top style.
                        In what way Deb?

Originally posted by 406F7E48666B6961496B6C6F0A0 link=1265937389/10#10 date=1266375505
                        You do get crema and great mouthfeel and an intensity you would associate with espresso.
                        As can be said for a well made stovetop. And from my limited experience, a stovetop can produce fine and stable crema, unlike the atomic style machines Ive tried.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D5243755B56545C74565152370 link=1265937389/10#10 date=1266375505
                          MUCH closer to a real espresso than it is to standard stove top style
                          That was my understanding of it I seem to remember reading it runs at 5 or 6 bar? Still a cool design based on a classic one

Comment

Ive had mine for about four months and they are brilliant. The best coffee youll get without 240 volts. It does take a bit of practice to get the right combination of bean grind, volume and tamping pressure, plus practice at steaming. It took me 10-20 runs to nail it but now I can reliably produce great coffee every morning!

Comment

I was lucky enough to have one given to us for a test run at work and really struggled to get a good coffee/pour. Then called Craig up for some hot tips, and we found that using a gas stovetop spread the heat around the edges of the machine rather than focussing it in the centre to heat the water properly. Once we got that sorted the coffee was more than surprising. Its not necessarily like espresso, not like stovetop (although Ive NEVER had an acceptable coffee from a stovetop)so comparing them is futile (along the lines of people hating syphon brewed cos it has no body compared to espresso - duh). The most notable thing was the body- syrupy syrupness. Slow pour almost flowing like a choked shot on an espresso machine, but didnt taste burnt or over-extracted. Not something Id use for my daily coffee, but its definitely an experience, plus they look deadly. The work that has gone into it with the pressure valve and restrictors is impressive. The only thing that is similar to the Atomics is shape. Totally different animal. The steam power was pretty awesome too, and getting silky micro foam isnt out of the question, although my first go blew the milk out of the jug.

Comment

Working...
                              X