Cleaning a Syphon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Syphon

Hi there! Im just wondering whats the best method to clean a syphon? In particular I have a fair bit of oil build up within the top chamber that boiling water itself is not cleaning off :/

Another question is that when the syphon is not in use, is it best to soak the filter in hot water in a cup, potentially for days, or should this only be done for, say, a few hours, and then dried??

Thanks for any and all help

Re: Cleaning a Syphon

Cafetto is what you need With the lower chamber I find a simple rinse in hot water and a weekly or fortnightly proper wash. The Upper chamber if it is rinsed and cleaned straight away is better than leaving it and then the same Cafetto regime. Filters I normally just rinse well then air dry but I have a few in use at a time and change them between Cafetto batches.

Make sure you give everything a good hot rinse after the Cafeto too

This was a non paid add for Cafetto btw :

Comment

Hi Sparrow

To keep the cloth filter reasonably clean, I thoroughly rinse it a couple of minutes after use and then store it in a cup with cold water in the fridge. I believe thats what the instructions that came with my Hario syphon said.

Before using the filter again, I place it into the upper chamber and rinse it with hot water (from the tap) for a while.

Seems to work well, but would like to hear what other people do as well.

D

Comment

I wash mine with the dishes- (at the start when the water is hot and clean)- rinse them in water- and then hand them out to dry. I tried storing them in a glass of water but found that when they are wet- sometimes the syphon draws the water up slowly as the filters have expanded... when they are dry the water flows much faster.

Comment

Will anyone cringe if i say i just throw mine in the dish washer? :S
          rinsing the filter seperately ofcourse.

failing that, Cafetto is always a good option... Cafetto ;D

Comment

Hehe, awesome endorsement of Cafetto

Great, so I need to use Cafetto - so how much should I use? And so I simply spoon the amount in, fill with boiling water, and then rinse out? What methods are people using? I have pretty bad oil build-up :/

Comment

Just follow the instructions on the pack Maybe a bit of a soak for a few minutes for your first clean. When you get on top of the first clean just a small lot to soak the filters and a wipe over of the glass should do. I tend to save up a few bits and make a larger batch and do Group handles jugs and anything else that needs a clean.

Comment

Ahh, so you also use Cafetto to soak the filter too? Thanks for the tips

Comment

For cleaning the filter cloth, I have been using Oxyper (Homebrewers best friend). Its pure Sodium percarbonate, same as the active ingredient in Nappy-San. As opposed to Nappy-San though, its odourless.

After rinsing in hot water, I drop the filter in 150mL of boiling water in a milk jug. I sprinkle in about 1gm of Oxyper and let it soak overnight. I then rinse and hang up to dry. The filter comes up nice and white again with very little odour.

I love Cafetto for backflushing, but find it has an odour that lingers a bit. I get my Oxyper from Grain and Grape. Its only $8 per kg.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X