Cold Drip Brewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Drip Brewing

Hey fellow Coffee Snobs! This is my 1st post so feel free to make any and all caffeine related newbie jokes at my expense. Im curious about cold drip coffee - I had a crack at it for the first time last week and was pretty impressed. Does anyone know stores that sell this equipment? With summer coming up I figured it would be a great way to get stuck into some high quality caffeine fixing at below 65 degrees! Andy, Im about to check the coffee snobs store so my apologies for putting the cart before the horse! cheers, DPS.

Re: Cold Drip Brewing

I am unaware of any Australian suppliers.

I dont know but "cold press", "cold brew" may have the same characteristics as cold drip.
    There is the "Toddy" which can be found on US sites like amazon. There are also other kits around.

I have found the cold brew/press so easy it isnt worth buying a kit.

One easy way is to use a french press/plunger. Use 170g of coarse ground coffee to one litre of room temperature water. Leave for 8 - 12 hours. Press and decanter.

Comment

Hi DPS, and welcome to CS.

Im not sure if any site sponsors sell any (sorry if there are). But I got my Hario cold drip (Clear Water Dripper) from Sensory Lab. Fantastic bit of gear.

Cheers

Comment

Di Bella Coffee Roasting Warehouses in Sydney & Melbourne are selling a variety of cold drips as well as other alternative brewing gear such as syphons, halogen burners, gas burners, hand press, balancing syphons, etc. Check us out:

19-21 Leveson St, North Melbourne (MELBOURNE)
        Shop 2/50 Holt St, Surry Hills (SYDNEY)

Comment

Originally posted by 507D5671787875467B7567607D7A73474D50140 link=1292458928/4#4 date=1292471018
          Melbourne are selling a variety of cold drips  
          Good to know, I missed Di Bella on my last quick run around Melbourne maybe a post Christmas present needed

Comment

I was given a kilo of fresh roasted "golden mocha" blend coffee with a used grinder I purchased. Tried some as espresso and it was ok, but nothing special. Rather than waste it completely, I thought Id give cold press a try - approx 130gm coarse coffee (3 days post roast) about 700 ml water in a 1l plunger. Left for 10 hours, depress plunger, pour into a container and store in fridge.

Havent actually tried it as iced coffee yet, but diluting one part concentrate with about five to six parts boiling water makes a REALLY nice black coffee. Completely different flavour profile to what Im used to very low acidity, smooth, chocolate and vanilla cream flavours . Im not about to give up my morning espresso, but will definitely be making cold press fairly regularly from now on.

Comment

Just tried some Ethiopian Nekisse, 3 weeks from roast date, out of a standard french press - Awesome!!! Fruit driven and beautiful sweetness with this crazy jasmine/herbal/hubba bubba aromatic. Putting it through a cold drip as we speak, very excited!!!

Comment

so what sort of equipment you have got?

Comment

Ive got the Toddy and it makes great coffee - both hot and iced - I sometimes even have it straight black on ice with a little water

- shaken not stirred ...

Comment

We ended up getting a smaller Hario Cold Drip set up which is working really well, and a great chance to experiment with coffees/grind settings/extraction times. Looking at some options now through Wolff Roasters in QLD, who supply Yama Glass. We had a look at a generic Panamanian Boquette this morning, which looked really interesting - licorice/star anise and bergamot spice!!

Comment

Hello,
                      I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I am not following proper posting protocols!

I recently purchased a Hario WDC-6 cold drip coffee maker. Up until this point, my only coffee beverage was produced by my Olympia Cremina lever press machine which is quite a different beast.

So, I unpacked the machine and found Japanese instructions and no luck with any translations. I managed to find a Thai video of what looks like instructional footage for coffee shop employees. It helped me quite a bit insofar as amount of coffee to pack in the middle stage and how to moisten it, stir, and then tamp it down. So far so good - I set the drip to go pretty slowly at first and then got it going to about 4 drips/minute.
                      All in all brewing time took about 15 hours. I tried some of it over ice without dilution just about jumped out of my skin with caffeine jitters about 10 - 15 mins. later!!!
                      A long way to get to the question but is there any rule of thumb for these manual drip devices? I used medium body organic beans ground for auto drip (fairly coarse) and tamped down the grounds pretty firmly. Would it be less strong if the drip rate were higher? Dilute more? I dont think that is the kind of coffee buzz I am looking for!

Any help for an American coffee snob greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5747544C4B504B240 link=1292458928/11#11 date=1298838300
                        Hario WDC-6 cold drip coffee maker
                        Hi and welcome

I have one of these due later in the week from an Australian delivery so if there is some english instructions I will get them scanned and post them here. A fair bit of playing after that no doubt.

Comment

A link to the Thai video - lots of sugar syrup and not much in the way of dilution aside from ice. Clearly indicates how much coffee and an idea about tamping. I find it interesting that the grounds behave much like a tamped espresso puck - though much slower - like a distillation process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Jj-1iL9og&feature=player_embedded

Also attached a zip of the Japanese instructions. Perhaps there are some Japanese members that can help translate?

I would be interested to hear of your experiences!

Best,

Steve

Comment

Still havnt got mine but I got a reply from Andy fom the Sensory Lab in Melbourne with some tips and a start point on the Hario. They actually have a huge one of these (not sure of the brand) worth $3-4k in its own dedicated fridge. No Ice unlike the video but the brew ratios used are similar to what I use for making CP.

Using the extra filter at the bottom will cleanup the brew but reduce the body and some of the oils from the brew and may also impart a paper taste to the brew but it will be worth trying each way.

The brew ratios we use in the shop for the cold drip are roughly 80g to 400ml of water. This yields about 300ml - 350ml of colddrip coffee. We grind the coffee just below 6 on a Ditting deli grinder so that is roughly the equivalent of a plunger grind just a little finer. We also tamp the coffee a little and flood the top after. We do this to help avoid channeling in the pack and get an even flow of water through the coffee. Use cold, filtered water and adjust the tap so youre getting roughly 1 drop every 2-3 seconds. We also find it is best to use coffee at least 14 days past its roast date. Also on a tasting note we find medium - light roasted coffees work much better than darker italian/french (more traditional espresso) roasts. Finally for the little Hario model that you have I personally like to place the filter underneath the pack of coffee on the metal filter itself, I find this gives a cleaner cup but thats mostly a personal preference.

Make sure you experiment though, these are all guidelines and not gospel so mess around with all the different parameters to see what you get.

Comment

Hey thanks! That is useful info.
                              I had some this am diluted about 4parts water to 1 part coffee -it looked really weak but tasted ok. As per Andys instructions, I definitely let it drip too slowly the first time around. I am going to give it another go tomorrow at some point.

It seems to me you want the paper filter on top to keep the pack moist and keep the edges of the pack from drying out. It is winter here in the Northeastern US and home heating can dry the air out. Now off to quiz the kids on metric weights and measures conversions!

Thanks once again,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X