Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otto Espresso grind

Hello all.
    I have just bought an Otto as well as a Sunbeam 480 grinder (to fit the budget). Have been playing around with the grind settings and just wondering if any one else has this combo and what grind setting the have had the best success with.
    6 and below is a Turkish grind and 10 - 14 is an espresso grind. Im thinking its somewhere in the middle.
    Has anyone double tamped with a finer grind?
    Cheers

Re: Otto Espresso grind

Hi Raggi,

the grind should be slightly coarser than turkish but finer than espresso with the basket that has the most holes OR espresso grind with the basket with fewer holes and a normal tamp with both.

Hope this helps
    regards
    Dean

Comment

Thanks. Went with one setting above Turkish grind but little creme and slow. I figure it was too fine. Will keep playing.

Comment

I got my Otto today, I am in the same boat as you although I bought a Mazzer Mini grinder to go with it.

I have been looking at the youtube videos that Otto has on brewing etc, I think it will just take a bit of time to get used to the extraction process.

So far the cups of coffee I have made have been pretty good, but tastes like there is still room for improvement.

All the best with your Ottoing

Gary S

Comment

My extraction starts to occur after 10 minutes, when a lot of the info ive read says that it should take about 12 minutes. Are there any CSers with an Otto who have got the extraction happening well consistently that could tell me if this early start to the extraction is affecting my results?

Should my grind be a bit finer?

Gary S

Comment

Update. I have found using an espresso grind with the basket with fewer holes has been giving the best results. I get better creme and the coffe has a smoother taste. Excellent on electric but still playing with the heat on gas. Finding that high on the small jet until the first few drips, and then back it to half.

Comment

Gary,
              Please excuse me for taking 6 months to respond here.  In the sea of everything "one man band", Ive dropped the ball here.
              Im now hiring a PA to help me so I can be across this stuff.  Please anyone who knows someone looking for work 3 days a week in admin, Id like to hear from you.
              In response to the "12 minute" warm up.  The 12 minutes quoted in the manual was insisted on by my lawyers who were concerned about users removing the group handle if the extraction seemed slow starting.  The theory was that users would be more patient and less likely to take remove the group handle early (risking injury) if they expected a longer process.
              You should be seeing extraction beginning between 7 and 9 minutes, with the shots running over about 50 seconds each.  The end of the "grinding and extraction" video is the best reference for seeing the ideal pace of the drip during extraction.
              While on all things extraction.... Ive finally had a naked handle turned up for OTTO and ran some shots yesterday, posting them here.
              In the next few weeks Ill also be charting the exact pressure profiling during warm up, extraction and milk texturing. 
              Many thanks Gary for your understanding, and thank you Raggi for diving in and helping.
              Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 2D3E2D3A3179243D3E3B3D480 link=1295002375/4#4 date=1295315678
                My extraction starts to occur after 10 minutes, when a lot of the info ive read says that it should take about 12

Correct me if I am wrong Craig but I saw you at Beanology and again at the Melbourne Food and Wine Show so might have picked up some useful information ;D

The length of time before extraction starts is related to the temperature of the water and the pressure in the system.

If you start with fridge cold water then it will take longer to come up to temp/pressure and your extraction will take longer to start.

If you start with hot water then your extraction will start sooner.

I am sure there is an optimum water temp to start at that means the group head gets enough time to warm up before the shot starts, but near enough is probably good enough 8-)

Comment

Gday Craig...

Nice photos mate but they were a bit large. If you could keep them to an 800x600 frame size and 100KB or so, that would be perfect.... 8-)

Mmmm, that coffee looks good enough to eat I must say. What a great little coffee maker

Mal.

Comment

Gday Trenski,
                    Weve got everything tuned for room temperature water water, and OTTO to start at room temp.  Water, boiler, body, everything.  Changing one of these variables may generated a good result but I think youll find that room temp for everything will be ideal.
                    For sure Mal, will keep that file size down in future, thanks for the heads up.
                    Craig

Comment

Got to admit I never, yes never, get crema.

Comment

Hi everyone, I've recently purchased an Otto "Little Guy" and found getting the grind right has been the most challenging part. There appears to be alot of satisfied customers if product review websites are anything to go by, but not alot of discussion about how to get the best grind dialled in for the Otto. Has everyone here found it easy to get the grind and extraction just right and I am the only one struggling?

Would love to see some photos of the extraction people are getting out of their Otto, and some explaination about how to find that perfect balance between and extraction time and steam pressure.

I think this would be very helpful to new users (like me), and I'd also be interested in how people are able to get good microfoam in their milk as mine is very hit and miss...

Comment

Working...
                        X