Otto- Getting it right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otto- Getting it right.

Hey everyone, I have recently taken purchase of an Otto and a Mazzer Mini grinder and have been trying my hardest to get the trade off right between steam pressure and over extraction.

This issue that I am having at the moment is if the extraction is fairly good (from what I hear on all otto related videos etc its around 60mL in 90 seconds, taking 12 minutes for the extraction process to start) then the extraction process is starting at around 10 minutes, not 12, and from my knowledge this is affecting the steam pressure.

For me to have good steam pressure, the extraction ends up way over-extracted and the shot is bitter.

I am using the espresso basket and from how things are going I can tell that I will be able to make great coffee once I get it right but am just tinkering with the grind etc.

Is anyone else having the same sort of issue with the Otto? Or did you have it when you first got yours but you have since figured it all out?

My other question is how much does the temperature affect how long the whole warming up process takes and the extraction, I have a gas stove top and as far as I can tell I have used the same temperature every time..

on my last coffee the grind looked to me as if it would be a little coarse, but the extraction was still slow, and the pressure of the steam wand was a littlle low.

Well I hope that I have described my situation enough to get some pointers, if you need to ask any more questions about my process then go for it, and I will be happy to post my solutions once I seem to get it right.

Gary S

Re: Otto- Getting it right.

Getting slightly better,

This attempt i turned the heat up a little, made the grind a bit more fine, filled the basket up a little less and tamped the same as I always tamp.

The result was about a 9 minute warm up time, with an extraction that was a little slow.. However I pulled the extraction early and made just one latte instead of two. The coffee was fine and the pressure was excellent for the steam wand.

I guess for the next cup I will keep everything the same except a little bit more coarse grind, hopefully that will assist the extraction to come along a bit faster, and then we will be in business.

So much fun tinkering with it all until you get it just right.

Gary S

Comment

Hey Gary,
      What jet are you using. I found using the smallest jet on high, and then down to half when it first drips. Gas does mean more tinkering. I spoke to Craig Hirron last week and he is hoping for the glass top electric Otto stove to be out by June. Electric gives much more consistent results. When you top up, fill with boiled water, it with reduce your heating up time by 3-4 mins. I find an espresso grind with the fewer hole basket to be more consistant. I use thecourser espresso grind. I started to make great coffee around my 25 time.
      Cheers
      Tim

Comment

Hey Gary,
        My other tip with gas for your steam wand pressure is when you have extracted your 60ml on half jet , crank it back up to full gas for your milk. This way keeps the pressure up, but you havent over extracted your coffee
        Cheers
        Tim

Comment

Hello
          I use a Rocky with mine and it took quite a while to figure out the right grind. I think my Otto can be a bit temperamental but I love it anyway. You have to get to know its little quirks. I now weigh the grind using just basic digital kitchen scales and Ive had more consistent results since I started doing that. About 20 grams and a fine grind, but not too fine, tamp firmly, but not too firmly, with the espresso basket and medium heat. Seems to work!!! Most of the time... When it does its fantastic. I often think the Otto plus Rocky combo is one of the best investments Ive made. Cheaper than a high end espresso machine and much less maintenence, but the coffee is right up there.

Comment

Thanks for the posts

Since posting I have been making as many coffees as I can and I am starting to get some great results! As people have suggested, turning the heat up after the extraction but before you start steam has been giving me some great steam wand pressure.

The extraction can still be on and off a bit but I am getting a good extraction most of the time now.

I enjoy playing around with it and seeing how changing different things affect the results.

Gary S

Comment

Hi,

I just got myself an OTTO, Im loving it, still trying to get the art of making espresso down packed.

Im using fresh beans ground in a Sunbeam 0480 grinder so Im using the espresso basket.

What Im wondering is how do you know the shot has finished extracting ? Does it finish by itself ?

Comment

No it will keep on pouring. You are looking for approx 60mL of liquid in 90 seconds. Get yourself a measuring jug, and measure out 60mL of water and pour it into the otto jug so you get an idea of how far 60mL fills the jug.

When the coffee starts extracting I get my little electronic timer and start timing the extraction.

Once it reaches 60mL/90 sec I quickly pour the "good" coffee into my coffee cup/the glasses, and then put it back under the otto to keep catching the over extracted coffee.

I usually get a spare wash cloth and chuck that under the otto to catch the coffee that comes out while I am pouring the good coffee into the cups

Hope this helps

Comment

dont think it will pour without limit, mine doesnt, i just fill the ALUMINUM boiler to the top, close it up and let it boil away, once the water has reached a certain level in the ALUMINUM boiler it stops pouring, the rest is for steam

Comment

I just can't get it right. Going to sell mine.

Comment

And I need a fifth post to do that here.

Comment

hermie are you using fresh beans and grinding fresh?

Comment

Hi - we have just purchased an Otto and loving it - Does anyone know if it is necessary to let Otto completely cool Between Brews? Have noticed all instructions are to do so however I don't understand the theory behind why this is so?
                          Ian

Comment

Having now ran a dozen brews and tried all permutations with a hot machine, I can report that you shouldn't waste your time with a hot machine. I tried a brew after running it under the tap to cool, and the wonderful coffee and crema returned.

Comment

Otto- Getting it right.

I've seen a video of Craig (designer) doing a demo and he was running two Otto's... But more importantly he was plunging the just brewed Otto into a bucket of cold water and immediately recommencing the next brew....
                              Apparently this is recommended practice and the hot/cold plunging has no detrimental effect on the Otto whatsoever and lets you make brew, after brew...

Comment

Working...
                              X