coffee bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee bags

Hey guys, I need a way to make coffee (and tea) at work. Where I work I only have access to a cup and kettle, and dont really want to lug a press around. I know you can buy coffee bags, and in theory they would be the same grind as a press grind. I want to use my own fresh roasted coffee though.

I guess Im looking for some decent empty teabags. Ive seen them on ebay etc but Im not sure that they are good quality. some use heat sealing which might be glue that taints the taste of my brew.

Does anyone brew this way? If so, where do you source your bags? Is there any difference between paper, silk and plastic bags?

Re: coffee bags

You would be better off with one of those one cup drip things with a metal filter wouldnt you?

Comment

not sure what you mean, but I want something thats not messy. I could use a steel tea infuser ball, but the bag being disposable is very convenient for my situation

Comment

Something like this
        http://www.venezianocoffee.com.au/equipment/first-pour/product143?pageNum=1

you can get paper disposable filters or metal reusable ones. Makes a nice cup of coffee.
        You could also go aeropress which are plastic and robust.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A4D5E4D5A494F4D4341464F280 link=1308269929/0#0 date=1308269929
          I know you can buy coffee bags, and in theory they would be the same grind as a press grind.

Most coffee bags I have seen have instant coffee in them along with the ground and stale coffee.

Comment

thanks for the ideas so far, but as I stated Im not looking to get a press - I already use one but want something even simpler for the road.

The theory is, use press grinds in a bag and instead of pressing I just remove the bag.

Comment

Anything preground will be less than ideal, ground fresh is best.

Have a look at the Grindripper Grinder/dripper combo http://www.grindripper.com.au/. Either the Kyocera or Hario slim from one of the sponsors and team it with an aeropress or a plastic plunger maybe.

Comment

perhaps people have missed the gist of this thread.
                I dont want alternatives. I dont want a press. I was asking if anyone knows where to get quality empty bags. I already own a press, dont want to use it.

Regarding the grinds, I plan on grinding fresh each morning to fill the teabags up. Its going to be better than instant or a thermos of stale coffee that I pressed 5 hours ago.

Comment

I dont think anyone has "missed the gist" at all beverageking. Just putting forward what they see as a better option to give you a better/fresher result than the grinding and bagging into used tea bags in the morning!
                  Its all about the perspective of your choices.
                  Id go Aeropress personally.
                  Originally posted by 2A2D3E2D3A292F2D2321262F480 link=1308269929/8#8 date=1308306258
                  I already own a press, dont want to use it.
                  Fair enough, you are after simplicity, but as beanflying has stated; anything pre-ground is less than ideal and it cant get much simpler than plunger/aeropress for me.
                  Hope you find a satisfactory result.

Comment

Id have responded earlier, but can only offer alternatives and you didnt ask for alternatives

Obviously, plenty of manufacturers manage to seal tea bags with no/minimal flavour taint.

Id love to know more about how it is done, a worthy quest. Please keep us informed and, if I do find anything, will be sure to let you know.

Comment

Hey guys, I need a way to make coffee (and tea) at work.

Sounds like you might be better off sticking with tea !

Comment

mickbella13: sounds like you should only post if its useful

Kevo: why do you think Ill be using used teabags? Im simply asking about new but empty vessels.

I think I may of hit a nerve of sorts regarding "freshness" but what Im after is absolutely no different from grinding for a press each morning, the only advantage Id have is to be able to throw a bag out and not have to carry a damn coffee press in my pocket.

Seems like Ill just buy a few from ebay and maybe Ill be helpful to someone and post the results

Comment

beverageking, you sound frustrated (and a bit arrogant).

Ive sent you a pm with a link providing details where you can purchase a variety of new, sealable, tea bags.  You might also like to consider using a tea diffuser, and details are at the same link provided.

Ive made the dangerous assumption that you reside in AU. Updating your profile would be helpful. If youve seen the information sent before, please dont flame me for trying to help.

Comment

As it seems its about convenience rather than quality bk, herewith the ultimate way to save time and effort.

Comment

These are the manufacturers/wholesalers sites. I dont know about the 2nd one but the first is available pretty much worldwide from various retailers. The 2nd one is intended to be run through a machine that fills the pouch with coffee and then seals it all into a retail package. They are sold on a roll and they could just as easily be filled by hand for brewing when needed. Either of these could be matched with a grinder for grinding in situ for a fresh brew.

Fill your own teabags, no sealing required: http://www.t-sac.com/

2/3rds of the way down the page "Filters for drip coffee" http://www.nasaco.co.jp/e/products/tea_coffee/material.html

Java "Search engines are your friends." phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X