German / French ceramic filter coffee maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German / French ceramic filter coffee maker

Recently came across this interesting German / French coffee maker.

It is a filter, but there is no paper, cloth, mesh involved -- instead a ceramic filter integral to the design.

The first picture shows how its made up. It comprises a pot, a filter and a water distributor. This one was missing the distributor, so we are using one from a Chinese tea maker. The original is much shallower.

Coarse ground coffee goes into the filter, and water poured in slowly through the distributor. We currently have the grind adjusted (on a Zass hand grinder)  to pour through in about four minutes, but Ive seen reference to 10 minutes.

The second picture is looking inside the filter itself; the distinctive pattern I guess is designed for optimum extraction.

It makes very flavoursome coffee, and will bring out the distinctive traits of a good SO. IMHO its getting close to syphon in what it can reveal (Ive done a comparison on successive days, but not side by side yet).

Its obviously a thoroughly thought out design, inside the pot there is a raised barrier to stop fines from getting into the cup.

We like it a lot, its getting a lot of use at home at the moment.

Its known as a Karlsbader (there is a picture of one in Ian Berstens book "Coffee Floats. Tea Sinks").

This one is quite old, but theyre still made in Germany by Walkuere (and sold through their English-language online shop).

Ive put some more pictures etc here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/haazbean/KarlsbaderCoffeeMaker

Id be interested to know if anyone else is using one of these.

Re: German / French ceramic filter coffee maker

Yep,

My grandparents had one of these for when a quick cuppa was needed. Made an excellent brew.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Half tempted to order one of these for the quick morning cuppa instead of the aeropress, I imagine the water distributor would drop the water temp down to correct temp as it passes through but how would one know how much to pour in, trial and error I suppose. Anyone else used one?

Comment

Hello vicroamer, a somewhat belated reply ...

For ordering one, I sent a couple of enquiries via the website I mentioned above, but never got a reply. And now they are out of stock.

However we did find an identical used one on evilbay, which works very well.

Its very solid ceramics that holds heat well (I preheat thoroughly beforehand), and pour in water at 95C, would be a bit lower on the coffee.

Im getting very good results (mellow, full flavoured coffee without bitterness) with about 20g of coarse ground coffee in about 250ml water.

The distributor seems to be a key aspect. It actually regulates the flow onto the coffee -- its a tight seal at the top, so water will sit in the distributor until some flows out through the filter. This provides a very gentle flow through the coffee, which Im sure contributes to  the flavour.

A very interesting method.

Comment

Glad you are getting good results.

I think the picture (great picture by the way) of the holes above make this the inverse of the VST basket... these are pretty random sized holes and slits ...which might be helping?!?!

Originally posted by 4A43584047434C220 link=1310906702/0#0 date=1310906702
          made in Germany by Walkuere
          Funny, I must have missed these many times at the last 3 trips to the world champs as Walkuere always have a large stand of coffee cups, seriously beautiful cups too. I guess the bling of their cups made me ignore what looks like a teapot.

Originally posted by 4A43584047434C220 link=1310906702/3#3 date=1319958820
          I preheat thoroughly beforehand
          Thats a universal trick for getting the best from most manual methods.

Originally posted by 4A43584047434C220 link=1310906702/0#0 date=1310906702
          inside the pot there is a raised barrier to stop fines from getting into the cup.
          Nice feature.

Drip coffee with more of the oils that are normally trapped in paper filters.

Would be interesting to see how this compares to something more similar like an aeropress using a stainless filter.

Comment

Working...
          X