Pneu-Presso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneu-Presso

Yes folks, remember you saw it here first.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpKfLNELvM[/media]

Gonzo

Re: Pneu-Presso

Wow, very well done

Comment

I like this innovation
      Better than the original

KK

Comment

A bloody ripper Gonzo.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-)

Mal.

Comment

A wicked hack Gonzo.
          8-)

Ive made this post sticky and have hot linked the word Pneu-Presso to point back to here from anywhere on the forum.

Best home made coffee hack Ive seen for a long time.

Any reason you wouldnt pump it to 130psi?  The fittings should be able to handle it.

Comment

Thanks guys.

When doing this mod I wanted to keep the metal to a minimum to retain as much of the heat as possible, so I made only the bit that was under a lot of stress out of metal (brass). The rest I made out of PVC because its cheap and easy to work with.

The problem with PVC is that at 60c it has 20% of the strength it has at 25c. And Im putting boiling water in there. So, yes theres a reason I dont want to pressurise it too much. So, instead of using the normal pipe, I used the fittings which are much thicker.

That said, because the plastic is such a good insulator, the outside doesnt get very hot at all, so it retains a fair bit of strength. The MkII version might be made of a different plastic.

The main problem with the Presso in its original condition is that, for me, to get a good pour you need good pressure, and to get any volume you need to pump it more than once. Im sure this upsets the cake. The Pneu-Presso uses a smooth flow of higher pressure, and the cake is not disturbed. I was originally going to hook it up to my air compressor with a regulator, but the bike pump seems to work pretty well.

I need to do some work on a permanent pressure gauge and pressure release valve.

And I need to stop playing with it because Im drinking a lot of coffee.....

Gonzo

Comment

I was going to suggest an inline OPV (Over Pressure Valve) to vent anything above "safe".

Originally posted by 2B232236232E4C0 link=1321770018/5#5 date=1321785957
              Im drinking a lot of coffee....
              Welcome to my world.

Invite some guinea pigs friends over to have a tasting session while you test it.

Its a great home brew way of trying some slayer-esk pressure profiling too.

Comment

nice one gonzo! great stuff.

Comment

Looks AWESOME! Great job gonzo

How is the coffee tasting with the new pressure pump vs. man-powered strength?

Comment

Originally posted by 594D564C54574D3F0 link=1321770018/8#8 date=1321853454
                    Looks AWESOME! Great job gonzo

How is the coffee tasting with the new pressure pump vs. man-powered strength?

Well, its still man-powered... unless I can talk my missus into doing it...and its certainly a lot easier on my pecs.

Anyway, Ive been able to grind a little finer, and I get better crema. Its the best tasting coffee that Ive had from the Presso to date. Another side benefit is that the portafilter had developed this tendency to undo itself when I started to work the arms. It may have been because the plastic cylinder was broken, I dont know. Now, however, it stays put.

Im still waiting for a few fittings to arrive to mount things a bit more solidly, and then Ill do some more testing, and take some more pics.

Gonzo

Comment

Do you find the pressure drops at all during the pour?

If so larger air reservoir at the top should result in a more consistent air pressure, as the change in air volume wouldnt be as significant.

Next step, hook it up to one of those mini CO2 bottles http://www.velogear.com.au/catalog/C...dges-66-1.html ...

You can buy adapters designed for home beer kegging systems, but I forget what they are called. Alternatively, you can buy adapters to fit a paintball gun co2 cylinder into a regular co2 regulator - nice way to control the pressure

Maybe not enough pressure though?

Comment

Brilliant Gonzo, my OH has wanted to do something like this for ages to mine, I told him not to bother, maybe I should have let him

Comment

That looks awesome gonzo. Looks like a pressure relief valve would help

Comment

thats great 8-)

Comment

Ok, ok,

Heres the MkII version:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC8V9ifzN4[/media]

So, MrJack, you dont like my bike pump? I think it adds a certain artisan touch...

Gonzo

Comment

Working...
                              X