Rossa rules!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossa rules!!

I have now had my Portapresso system (press and grinder) for a tad over two weeks.

My Rossa has performed perfectly out of the box. I followed the instructions to the letter. I only occasionally use the Rosco grinder at home. Robur is boss at my home.

Initially there were some teething problems as I was getting my brain and hands in touch with the completely manual process of making espresso using the Rossa press. Previously my finger pressed a button (La Marzocco Linea) or my hand pulled a lever (Olympia Cremina) but the Rossa is different again. You need to use both hands in harmony with eachother and use your brain to achieve this harmony.

Luckily for me I perservered with a few slight frustrations. Portapresso received several e-mails outlining my problems in getting enough crema in my shots and encouragement and advice were always received soon after. After about six days, the process started to click with me and the shots that I have done since then have improved steadily.

I have taken both machines away with me and stayed in hotels and motels. To me, the portability of the system is a fabulous bonus. In my household I now use the Rossa as the device to make espresso when I have enough time to chill out and be able to enjoy the magical, manual process of espresso extraction. I am currently on holidays, so this process happens both morning and afternoon.

I ordered an extra 14 gram basket (which holds 18 grams of ground coffee easily) and a naked filter head so that I can prepare both baskets and make two coffees back-to-back. Once the baskets are prepared, the pre-heating process for the Rossa takes around 30 seconds and the first coffee is made....followed straight away by the second. In this way I still get to share breakfast and afternoon coffee with my lovely partner.

My biggest leap of faith in getting these devices was that the products were relatively new to the marketplace and in my mind unproven. My brain said that I needed to eyeball the Rossa and Rosco first and foremost...then use them....and then savour the espresso that they make. Only then would I decide to either get them....or not. After sampling the magic shots that the Rossa can produce, I now dare you to try to extract it from my hand!!!!

Even after just over two weeks, the espresso that I make with the Rossa is as good or better than any of my other machines and the potential for further tweaking with pressure profiling is an excitement in itself.

I just about have a Yirgacheffe well and truly nailed and am getting oh-so-close to doing the same with a Nicaraguan. With the large pressure extraction gauge I can reproduce past successes and work in an ever-reducing spiral, drawing out the individual coffees subtle nuances that much further. It is a lifes journey within a lifes journey.

To anyone considering getting the Rossa, I would urge you to go ahead. I love the pressure profiling aspect of mine so would recommend that on the basis of having a visual means to be able to attain repeatability. I think that the stand is vital to the process as well. Go on...jump in...the water (and espresso) is truly great!

Thanks for making such a wonderfully different and innovative product, Ross!

Re: Rossa rules!!

You may have almost sold me on this. Ive always been a big fan of manual brew methods but for me they tend to be aeropress, syphon, pourover etc. not faux-espresso such as the presso etc. The price is still irking me, not that i think its not worth it, i just cant afford it! Im probably still dealing with what you were at the start. Its unproven, its risky, will i get much use out of it?

This post has done a lot for me though. Self birthday present maybe?

Comment

Nothing "faux" about it guys. It is the real deal!

Comment

Originally posted by 15242A292A450 link=1326844778/0#0 date=1326844778
        I have now had my Portapresso system (press and grinder) for a tad over two weeks.

My Rossa has performed perfectly out of the box. I followed the instructions to the letter. I only occasionally use the Rosco grinder at home. Robur is boss at my home.

Initially there were some teething problems as I was getting my brain and hands in touch with the completely manual process of making espresso using the Rossa press. Previously my finger pressed a button (La Marzocco Linea) or my hand pulled a lever (Olympia Cremina) but the Rossa is different again. You need to use both hands in harmony with eachother and use your brain to achieve this harmony.

Luckily for me I perservered with a few slight frustrations. Portapresso received several e-mails outlining my problems in getting enough crema in my shots and encouragement and advice were always received soon after. After about six days, the process started to click with me and the shots that I have done since then have improved steadily.

I have taken both machines away with me and stayed in hotels and motels. To me, the portability of the system is a fabulous bonus. In my household I now use the Rossa as the device to make espresso when I have enough time to chill out and be able to enjoy the magical, manual process of espresso extraction. I am currently on holidays, so this process happens both morning and afternoon.

I ordered an extra 14 gram basket (which holds 18 grams of ground coffee easily) and a naked filter head so that I can prepare both baskets and make two coffees back-to-back. Once the baskets are prepared, the pre-heating process for the Rossa takes around 30 seconds and the first coffee is made....followed straight away by the second. In this way I still get to share breakfast and afternoon coffee with my lovely partner.

My biggest leap of faith in getting these devices was that the products were relatively new to the marketplace and in my mind unproven. My brain said that I needed to eyeball the Rossa and Rosco first and foremost...then use them....and then savour the espresso that they make. Only then would I decide to either get them....or not. After sampling the magic shots that the Rossa can produce, I now dare you to try to extract it from my hand!!!!

Even after just over two weeks, the espresso that I make with the Rossa is as good or better than any of my other machines and the potential for further tweaking with pressure profiling is an excitement in itself.

I just about have a Yirgacheffe well and truly nailed and am getting oh-so-close to doing the same with a Nicaraguan. With the large pressure extraction gauge I can reproduce past successes and work in an ever-reducing spiral, drawing out the individual coffees subtle nuances that much further. It is a lifes journey within a lifes journey.

To anyone considering getting the Rossa, I would urge you to go ahead. I love the pressure profiling aspect of mine so would recommend that on the basis of having a visual means to be able to attain repeatability. I think that the stand is vital to the process as well. Go on...jump in...the water (and espresso) is truly great!

Thanks for making such a wonderfully different and innovative product, Ross!
        Paolo, what pressure are you seeing during a shot?

Comment

Hi Andy-Gadget,
          I can get the shot to pour at any pressure that I choose. I just alter the speed of the rotating handle (keeping a keen eye on the pressure gauge) to either maintain the pressure....reduce the speed to reduce the pressure or increase the speed of rotation to increase the brew pressure. It gets to 9 bar easily and I havent tried higher than that.

The best shots that I have poured have been around 6 bar, which (as a fellow Coffeesnob did only last week, I seem to remember) really makes me question the whole 9 bar Illy ethic.

Comment

Originally posted by 55646A696A050 link=1326844778/4#4 date=1326921786
            Hi Andy-Gadget,
            I can get the shot to pour at any pressure that I choose. I just alter the speed of the rotating handle (keeping a keen eye on the pressure gauge) to either maintain the pressure....reduce the speed to reduce the pressure or increase the speed of rotation to increase the brew pressure. It gets to 9 bar easily and I havent tried higher than that.

The best shots that I have poured have been around 6 bar, which (as a fellow Coffeesnob did only last week, I seem to remember) really makes me question the whole 9 bar Illy ethic.
            Thanks Paolo, just the information I was after.
            I have just bought my third Portaspresso, needed as the other two are stored and used away from home, but I have lashed out on the grinder as well, havent had the chance to use it yet, but looks the dogs bollocks as do all three Rossa machines.
            I find I am using less and less force to pull shots, which would equate to your six bar pressure.

Comment

How do the shots compare to your lever machine? Looks like a great piece of kit and its good to hear that its getting a daily workout!

Comment

Certainly looks great. Does the standard 14g basket produce single 30ml or double 60ml shot?

Comment

How do the shots compare to your lever machine? Looks like a great piece of kit and its good to hear that its getting a daily workout!
                  Hi TOfu,
                  I tried both machines this morning with the same beans.

I got more crema with the Cremina...great mouthfeel, smooth chocolates.

With the Rossa there were layers of tastes. The chocolates and smoothness were there but also a hint of caramel. I havent been able to get as much crema with the Rossa as I do (every time) with the Cremina, so I am still working on that. As I said in an earlier post
                  It is a lifes journey within a lifes journey.
                  Does the standard 14g basket produce single 30ml or double 60ml shot?

Hi Ascoffee,
                  I strongly favour ristrettos but a normal double shot on the Rossa would be 30ml.

Comment

Thank you Paolo.

Pls correct me if I am wrong, looks like Rossa requires more coffee for each shot compare to Cremina??

Comment

Pls correct me if I am wrong, looks like Rossa requires more coffee for each shot compare to Cremina??
                      Hi Ascoffee,
                      I have an Elektra double basket in the Cremina which is normally filled with 17 gms of grounds whereas I use 18 gms with Rossa.

Comment

Wouldnt the double basket produce double shots? I am not sure what is the standard dosage, just comparing with the Bacchi which I use 18gms of grounds for 2 x 30ml shot. :P

Comment

Of course you are correct....I confess...I have never used a single basket. My double ristrettos run out at around 30-40 ml.

I cant see how there would be any difference in machines if they each use a double basket.

The Rossa doesnt have a double spout, so you would need to pour the shot into a shotglass and divide the pour 2 ways if you wanted to make 2 singles from it.

looks like Rossa requires more coffee for each shot compare to Cremina??
                          so no...the Rossa doesnt require any more coffee for each shot than does the Cremina....only that I load an extra gram of grounds into the Rossa basket.

P.S. I just made 3 doubles with the Rossa...and they were all great!

Comment

Is it possible to push for 60ml?

Rossa looks very compact and flexible. The hot water solution makes things so much easier. Just wondering will it be easy to operate for petite female? So whole fmaily couldnt have excuses for not making coffee themselves...hehe

Comment

Hi Ascoffee,
                              You can easily get an extra 20-30 ml from each pour if you want to with the Rossa HC...with the gauge adaptor, you need to put in extra water (over the basic Rossa) anyway before pulling a shot, so the extra that you ask of would definitely be available. In my mind, the extra 20-30ml is inferior to the initial 30-40ml...so to me, it detracts from the overall coffee if I include it.

Just wondering will it be easy to operate for petite female?

I would just say that (from my perspective) there is a definite learning curve with this device. I am a self-confessed coffee fanatic...so had/have no trouble in perservering in search of the perfect cup...whether anyone who wasnt dedicated to finding the Holy Grail of caffeine would bother is really up to the individual.

I dont imagine even for an instant that my partner would bother with the Rossa....she would (dare I say it?) drink tea or (shudder) instant coffee....even though she loves the tastes that come out of the Rossa and nearly always comments on how good the coffee is.

The actual turning of the handle to make the extraction is not difficult with the HC model (the one with the gauge)...I cant speak with any experience on the basic Rossa which apparently has a different pitch of thread on the spindle and a different length handle...which gives a different leverage when in use.

The stand makes the whole operation easier for a learner as the Rossa is much more stable when supported in the stand.

Maybe the inventor of the Rossa would be best to comment on this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X