Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super cheap Japanese pour-over

Hi,

Yesterday I was shopping at Northland in Melbourne when I saw a Japanese $3.80 shop - kind of like a $2 shop but everythings $3.80!

They had a plastic pour-over and I figured for the price of a cup of coffee I might as well give it a go (was only $3.80 for the pour over, and $3.80 for a pack of paper filters).  Usually at home I use a siphon for filtered coffee.

I tried it this morning and the results were much better than I expected, it produced a really good tasting cup.

No doubt the plastic construction isnt as durable or as good looking as the quality pour-overs sold by CS sponsors, but in my opinion for anyone wanting to try a home pour over before investing in a ceramic/glass option its a good buy.

Andrew

Re: super cheap Japanese pour-over

Photos needed I still prefer the cloth sock over paper for my taste but cheap pourover being available is a good thing,

Comment

Ive been trying to post pics (.jpg) but havent been successful. How do I post pics?

Andrew

Comment

Hello Andrew >>>>>^^^^^ quick search returns: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1187136315

Comment

Thanks Talk Coffee,

Here is a link to a few pics ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1177561...31526496868178

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Hi,

The pour overs going well, but I needed a kettle with good flow control.

Keeping things cheap again, I bought an olive oil decanter.  It works really well and cost under $20 

Heres a link to a pic ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1177561...29179633479970

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew, how is the olive oil decanter working for you? Do you just pour boiling water in straight after boil then pour or do you start at a certain temp?

Comment

Hi Ecak,

I just read your post, sorry my reply's about half a year too late. I'll respond anyway in case it helps someone else.

The olive oil decanter is working very well. In fact, I used it this morning for a pour over. The decanter allows really good pour control.

I do pour boiling water in from an electric kettle straight after boil.

Sometimes I use a milk thermometer to check the water temperature. If I pour boiling water into the decanter while it's cold the temp drops to around 90 degrees.

The temperature can be adjusted easily. If I want hotter water I pour water from the kettle into the decanter, then empty the decanter pre-wetting my paper filter (which needs to be done anyway), and then fill the decanter from the kettle again. The water is hotter after the second fill because the decanter has been pre-warmed. If I want cooler water I add a small amount of cold water and stir it in with the thermometer.

Comment

awesome low-cost rig. the oil decanters are a popular cheap alternative to the expensive kettles. Which filters are you using on the brewer? I see it's a flat bottom, melitta-style filter paper. So any filter that fits a melitta/kelitta/clever dripper should work. 90C is ok for pour over. I recommend a 'lighter' coffee roast for filter brewing Nice job!

Comment

Hi JamesM,

The filter papers are a Japanese brand, Kyowa. They're 2 cup white papers.

There's no noticeable paper taste so I'm happy with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X