Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam PC7900

Helloo all...
    I bought this drip filter machine last week, and Im wondering which ground coffee you guys would recommend.
    I like a long roasted coffee. This is the first coffee machine Ive ever bought, and I decided I needed a change from the Robert Timms coffee bags (I like the Mocha Kenya).
    Made my first brew last night, using Lavazza Oro and lets just say I have to wonder why I bothered.

Re: Sunbeam PC7900

Originally posted by 5854475640465A53464C515B504C350 link=1330561954/0#0 date=1330561954
    Made my first brew last night, using Lavazza Oro and lets just say I have to wonder why I bothered

Im not surprised ;D

go have a look in beanbay and consider getting a grinder

Comment

In forums such as this, pre-ground coffee is considered a hazardous material. Good coffee is made from properly roasted beans, no more than about two weeks out of the roaster, freshly ground per use. it makes a WORLD of difference. Well, honestly.. not a world. More like a universe.

Comment

Originally posted by 42717E74694F573E100 link=1330561954/2#2 date=1330567971
        In forums such as this, pre-ground coffee is considered a hazardous material. Good coffee is made from properly roasted beans, no more than about two weeks out of the roaster, freshly ground per use. it makes a WORLD of difference. Well, honestly.. not a world. More like a universe.
        I acknowledge what youre saying but Ive had pre ground coffee before at my sisters house and at the time i thought it was pretty decent.. I think it was Vittoria...
        Which grinder (around $50 or less) & beans would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by 4D41524355534F465359444E4559200 link=1330561954/3#3 date=1330570465
          I acknowledge what youre saying but Ive had pre ground coffee before at my sisters house and at the time i thought it was pretty decent.. I think it was Vittoria...
          HH, guessing you have not gone down the rabbit hole deep enough yet.   Have you had 2 to 3 week old roasted coffee beans ground at the time of brewing and compared?  The answer to your question regarding a $50 or less grinder would be a used EM0450 or EM0480 since they both retail above $100 and around here that would be the starting grinder.  However, if you dont have access to a roaster then maybe thats where you need to start, with good quality roasted beans 2 - 3 weeks old. 

Comment

Originally posted by 7D71627365637F766369747E7569100 link=1330561954/3#3 date=1330570465

Half of the forum just fainted from shock, the other half are furious.  ;D ;D

Just my opinion:

It seems to me that the cheapest set up for a cup of coffee up to coffeesnobs standard is a spice type grinder, and a plunger (french press) or a pour over filter type.  The spice grinder doesnt grind evenly but it seems this is less important for the above brewing methods.

Ive never had a coffeer from a drip machine that wasnt pretty nasty.

Most here would agree that you should forget about any beans that you can buy at the supermarket. Buy instead from a local roaster, where the date of roasting is marked on the bag, and use within 3 weeks.

Fresh beans and fresh grind is key.

Good luck, enjoy the journey!

PS. Oh yeah, check out bean bay, top left of this page!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F7860620B0 link=1330561954/5#5 date=1330578890
              Ive never had a coffeer from a drip machine that wasnt pretty nasty.
              Yeh, pretty true, and the real kicker is that hotels (even some good ones) and some caterers are happy to leave glass jug on the warming element for any length of time. After about 10 minutes, the addition of milk to the coffee makes it turn grey. I guess not so much of an issue if you run your own machine, but a pour over or plunger is cheaper and can taste pretty good to many palates.
              BOSW

Comment

Have I made a big mistake by buying this machine?
                *facepalm*

Comment

The Kyocera CM-45CF hand grinders are supposed to do a reasonable grinding job, and theyre about $70 on Ebay.

Gonzo

Comment

Originally posted by 5F53405147415D54414B565C574B320 link=1330561954/7#7 date=1330590691
                    *facepalm*
                    Mate, at the end of the day if you enjoy your coffee more than you did previously, thats still a good thing. A good grinder (even if 2nd hand or hand-o-matic) and fresh beans improves almost every brewing/extracting technology. If using the drip filter machine, devise a routine of not leaving the coffee on the warming element for any length of time (e.g. make a smaller quantity, or if not possible, transfer to a thermos or similar). Enjoy whatever improvements you achieve, and if you get keen thereafter....enjoy that too even if your wallet doesnt.
                    Cheers
                    BOSW.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A76657462647871646E7379726E170 link=1330561954/7#7 date=1330590691
                      *facepalm*
                      na, youll be right. i quite enjoy the occasional drip - reminds me of staying with family in switzerland and i can guarantee those beans were the stale, supermarket variety.

i think you should strive to get the best out of your machine though. start by tracking down a decent 2nd grinder then find a local roaster who can supply you with fresh beans.

Comment

Working...
                      X