KALITA Wave drippers and filter paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KALITA Wave drippers and filter paper

Hi, I have just gotten a Kalita 155 wave dripper (stainless steel) and 2 sets of filter papers, the brown & white ones. Not sure if anyone have difficulty maintaining the wave-shape for the white filters. The wave ridges of the white filters seem to collapse easily compared to the brown ones, which are sturdier when I do the pre-rinsing of the filters with hot water. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid "damaging" the wave ridges of the white filters? Also the brown filters seem to have a distinct artificial taste (cant tell if it is the "paper" taste), wonder if it is worth continuing with the brown filters if there is a "taste contamination" to the coffee, even though the brown filters hold its shape much better than the white ones.

Re: KALITA Wave drippers and filter paper

What is the purpose of the wave shape anyway? I thought they were just there to enable the filters to fit various sized and shaped holders...

or am I missing something?

Comment

According to some retailers of Kalita wave drippers/filters in US (Prima & Wrecking Ball), the filters are designed to sit suspended above the bottom of the dripper while increasing temperatures stability by keeping most water contact away from the outer wall of the dripper. Have a read at Nick Chos blog (just google portafilter.net)
      Quite logical, but if it is difficult to maintain the wave shape, then the design is still "flawed" as it doesnt serve its intended purpose.

Comment

The best way to avoid it collapsing on itself is to pour water onto the base first and gradually make your way up the sides. Ive been using the Kalita wave filters for over a year now. I did some unofficial research and testing for Kalita. I personally love them and find them very forgiving compared to other pour over methods. By forgiving I mean, to various sloppy pouring methods people have. :

Comment

I'm interested in getting a kalita wave and some filters. Does anyone know where I can get it from, online or somewhere in Melbourne. Thanks.

Comment

The best way to avoid it collapsing on itself is to pour water onto the base first and gradually make your way up the sides.
            Definitely agree with this, although I've found it easier to maintain the shape by simply pouring into the centre of the filter paper. With the correct flow of water, the level will rise and soak the filter paper (without having to pour directly onto the sides).

Does anyone know where I can get it from, online
            Kalita has a website that they retail from. A quick Google search will lead you directly to it, and the retail prices aren't exorbitant either

Comment

Working...
            X