stove top V Lever & grinder suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stove top V Lever & grinder suggestion

essentially Im tossing up between a stove top or manual lever type machine ie la pavoni

wanting to spend under 500 including a grinder

have 5-10mins to grind and brew in the morning generally

as i dont have the budget to spend big on a espresso machine, im wanting to get a decent grinder that will get the best of a stove top or lever machine, and that i can also keep when i do eventually update to a semi auto machine

so can anyone suggest what would be the best for me at the moment the lever or stove top, and also any suggestions for decent grinders?!

cheers

Re: stove top V Lever & grinder suggestion

A combination of a Bacchi Stovetop and a Kyocera hand grinder would be worth considering. There is a Design Study of the Bacchi on Orphans web site which is worth reading  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Bacchi-Design-Study_ep_618-1.html and more information on Londiniums site as well. Great little stovetop which can be used on gas or electric and produces the best stovetop espresso I have had. They are available locally from Sorrentina

Comment

Originally posted by 7D425B52446865370 link=1333781070/1#1 date=1333787213
      A combination of a Bacchi Stovetop and a Kyocera hand grinder would be worth considering. There is a Design Study of the Bacchi on Orphans web site which is worth reading and more information on Londiniums site as well. Great little stovetop which can be used on gas or electric and produces the best stovetop espresso I have had. They are available locally from Sorrentina
      the bacchi looks great!

how do the hand grinders compare to an electric grinder?

Comment

I use the kyocera grinder with my Cremina lever machine. It works fine, I find no deficuency in the grind. It maintains its grind setting well and breaks down for cleaning easily. My only beef with it is that sometimes the crank comes off the top of the spindle while grinding (its not attached). No big deal though. I dont us an electric grinder at all.

Comment

Thanks for the Bacchi review- they do indeed make the best espresso coffee of all stovetop coffee makers as far as I have seen...  And if you are torn between a stovetop and a lever- they are the machine you may want- as they are both in a way: The piston mechanism works just like a lever piston- only it is upside down and driven by steam pressure instead of a spring or lever. The shot is true espresso and large in volume (for a lever style machine)- just as you get from a high end espresso machine. Makes a potent double shot or two goodly standard espresso shots.

Hand grinders can also be excellent- vintage and modern. You need to test it first as not all grind fine enough- or even enough for espresso.

Both the Pavoni- and the Baachi will be pushing your grind and brew time limit of 10 minutes- but only just. The Bacchi takes maybe 5-8 minutes to brew- and the pavoni will also take maybe 8 minutes or more to get up to temp... With practice and sound methodology it may be possible to use either within 10 minutes. The Pavoni requires attention to detail- the Bacchi is a little more forgiving.

Comment

dont know if youve looked at prices but you might struggle to get a pavoni on your budget.
            most of the time with one is letting it warm up, then a few minutes to make to coffee and clean up. I turn mine on first thing and by the time Ive had my muesli its up to temp.
            a presso might work for you?

Comment

Working...
            X