Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stella stovetop problems

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Stella 2 cup stovetop. Up until this point, I have used a Bialetti aluminium stovetop-it suffered from quality issues (the thread on the join was rubbish, it was always leaking) but the coffee always came up in a slow, steady stream, and when the coffee was fresh the first drops often had a lovely, thick foam. The Stella seems to be having issues-the coffee doesnt come out in a stream, but rather in puffs, with a lot of steam. The process is also very slow-from the time coffee first starts coming out, you have to wait 2 minutes until you can get enough to serve. There is also no sign of foam, even though the coffee is fresh roasted. The taste is ambivalent-not terrible, but not great, and not up to the standard of the previous stovetop.

I have a fair amount of experience with stovetops-I have tried all sorts of grind, but nothing seems to be improving the flow rate of the coffee. Any ideas what could be going on?

Re: Stella stovetop problems

That does sound like a dose/grind issue.

How is the flow with no grounds?

Greg

Comment

Okay, just did a run through with no grounds. The flow was fine, came out quite vigorously in a matter of seconds with little noise. I guess that makes it a dose/grind issue. I have been using a Sunbeam 24 setting burr grinder. I have adjusted the grind size between 6 and 14, I suppose I should try for coarser again. It is just a little surprising, the finer grinds were fine with the Bialetti. Could it be some difference due to aluminium vs stainless steel?

Comment

Alright, found that the perfect grind is 18. Seems a bit weird, considering the guide says that is a plunger, dripolator grind, but the coffee is smooth, tasty and had some foam, so whatever works I suppose

Comment

Hey guys, still having problems. I got a new coffee (fresh roasted Cuban Lavado Especial) and it is just not working in the Stella. I have it on grind 24 (the coarsest the grinder will go) and am not tamping or applying any pressure, and yet the coffee still wont come out in a stream-comes out in noisy puffs which are more air than coffee. As mentioned before, the water comes out fine if no grinds are in the basket. The stovetop burners are electric elements.

Comment

Working...
          X