Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cappuccino on holiday - Machines for travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cappuccino on holiday - Machines for travel?

Hi,
    First post here but I have been a browser over the last few years.

I love a good cappuccino in the morning, particularly when on holiday, though on a recent trip the only coffee available nearby was the motel rooms plunger (which I consistently make too strong, yuck) or instant (double yuck)

At home we have a cheap Sunbeam EM3600 machine which for us makes a fine cappuccino (almost as good as the WEGA we have in the office work)

What I am looking for is a light travel solution when we have to pack our suitcases for destinations where cappuccino is unknown.

I have been looking for either a small machine (similar to nespresso pixie size though a cheaper one), or something like the Bellman CX25P stove top cappuccino maker.

I like the idea of the Bellman as it is small, light and should have a very good chance of working at your destination. Though I am wary of the quality of coffee it will produce.

My budget is around $100-$150

Am I dreaming? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Cappuccino on holiday - Machines for travel?

Check out this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1338857550

Very similar question. Have you thought about a manual method - presso, mypressi, aeropress, portapresso? And buy one of those automatic milk steamer thingos?

Comment

Thanks David8

I did see that thread, it is more focused on caravan style travel, we are looking for suitcase sized.

I do have a no name stove top aluminium espresso pot, though it always produces coffee that has a touch of burnt rubber/mould taste to it. (I wonder if changing the seal might help). It has been thoroughly cleaned and well broken in, but the taste is always terrible.

I like the look of the presso and it may turn up within my budget 2nd hand or on sale.

Does the aeropress do an espresso or would it be more like plunger coffee? Good price if it produces the goods, it may be what Im looking for.

The portaspresso is way too expensive for me (and for what it appears to do)

The mypressi looks good also, but is expensive and requires the gas cannisters (I believe these arent allowed in planes)

Comment

Bialetti Brikka is the best model stovetop, it is what i use camping and it gives an acceptable result with a bit of feux crema on top! No milk though.

Maybe a Sorrentina version of the Atomic (see sponsor list), under $500 and will do coffee & milk on stove top.

Comment

Originally posted by 63727D77727B7A7F7F130 link=1339411702/2#2 date=1339467272
          Does the aeropress do an espresso or would it be more like plunger coffee? Good price if it produces the goods, it may be what Im looking for.
          In spite of the box label calling it an Espresso it is not. Closer to a LB to a strong brewed really.

With Motels not having stoves available you might need to have a look even at an electric stovetop rather than the bellman. These crop up on evilbay from time to time in a range of forms and sizes.

With a higher budget you could of course head toward an Atomic or Otto but the same lack of a stovetop?

Presso, hotel kettle, microwave for milk (maybe if available) frother of some sort would see you closet and most compact on your budget.

Comment

Thanks beanflying
            Whats the machine you have pictured called? It looks perfect.
            Is there a name for the style of machine? Im struggling you find anything like it on fleabay or google.

Comment

That is actually an Australian Made (yep we used to make stuff) one I missed out on evilbay a few years ago. Finding them on there is a little tricky for a search term as their owners generally have no idea on them.

Modern choices are the cheapy Breville Bar Ittalia (plastic and ugly and I think no longer made?) but there are some great orange cast aluminium 70s ones out there too A mate of mine has one of the Brevilles and I have given him a spare hand grinder and it kicks the butt of 1/2 the commercial machines in town for taste.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions and input all.

I am now the proud owner of a Benjamin and Medwin Caffe Espresso (aka Bellman CX25) stove top pot (Imagine the love child of a Moka pot, a pressure cooker and a steam wand)

Made my first cappuccino with it last night (a decaf using stale shop ground coffee), the cappuccino came out a little bit weak (might have to tamp a little or let the pressure build up a bit), but the milk frothing was fantastic. 
                The overall cup was better than some shop bought cappuccinos Ive had.

If I can make a coffee that good with old decaf on my first time, my cappuccino on holiday future looks grand!

Comment

Working...
                X