Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyPressi Twist & which hand grinder

Hi Guys,

Ive been a long time reader and have learnt quite a lot from this forum - but this is my first post.

I am setting up to do a 4wd crossing of the Simpson Desert in August, and need to be able to have good coffee while we are away.

I have decided on a MyPressi Twist for brewing, and will be taking a Jetboil stove for boiling water. The part I cant decide on is the hand grinder. I have been looking at the Hario Slim, Hario Skerton and Kyocera Ceramic Hand Grinder.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these grinders, recommendations etc for a hand grinder to match with the MyPressi?

Thanks,
    Danny

Re: MyPressi Twist & which hand grinder

Go with the Kyocera grinder, IMHO.

Give the handle a pre-heat.

And all will be well.

I use this combination for this job now, as I find it is less fiddly, and you can fly with the unit fully functional, which isnt your situation.

Comment

The OE Lido would be a great match to the MyPressi.

Comment

Thanks for the info - interesting to see your setup with the Mypressi almost the same as what I am planning. Also good to see the handle in the boiling jetboil opposed to just filling it as per the instructions.

I have heard pretty good things about the Kyocera - is that what you are still using now with the Portapresso? Id love to get one of them but cant get the cost past the wife

Comment

Ill check out the OE Lido too - thanks

Comment

I have used a Kyocera for several years when travelling and it is great I also have a recently acquired a Porlex and that is also great and has the advantage of being slightly smaller and fits into my Aeropress plunger saving space. The Kyocera is plastic and so there is some grinds retention in the catcher due to static whereas the Porlex is metal with virtually no grinds retention, a minor issue but a difference in performance. Porlex are slightly cheaper and easier to source. They both have the same burrs. A friend has the Skerton and the centre burr is not as well secured so consistency of the grinds is not as good with coarser grinding. Not sure if the Slim is better in this respect. 

Comment

At the risk of being a little alarmist I would be buying a rebuild kit if you are currently buying or own a MyPressi. There is currently no more production of them being made!

About a week ago Stephen OBrian announced "Sad to announce that weve had to close our US distribution and will be ceasing operations until funding comes through."

Just what this means to the long term future of the product is yet to be annouced.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4A4E414943564641482F0 link=1340589489/6#6 date=1340677003
                Reply #6 - Today at 12:16pm Mark & Quote Quote
                At the risk of being a little alarmist I would be buying a rebuild kit if you are currently buying or own a MyPressi. There is currently no more production of them being made!

Thanks for the tip off, do you know if any cs sponsors have these kits? A friend of mine has a MyPressi.

Comment

Working...
                X