Plunger - Reacquainting Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunger - Reacquainting Myself

On those mornings when I have to get up early for whatever reason, I often need coffee now. This means no time to wait around for the machine to warm up. So far this has had to be instant coffee (I know, its heresy, but I like the fact that it's instant). Besides, as long as you don't think of it as coffee - it ain't that bad.

So I got the old plunger out, wound the old Sunbeam EM0480 back to course and ground 7g. I also preheated plunger and cup. Standard procedure for all of this post:
    Preheat
    Weigh 7g (+ or - 0.07g (or so))
    Grind into plunger
    Add 200mL off-boil water
    Stir briefly
    Add plunger and depress plunger until it sits just above water (why do this? I just do it, don't know why)
    Steep for 30 seconds
    Plunge and pour and drink

So far, I end up with grinds in the cup - which is a no no for me. To give a reference, I was getting a decent decaf espresso extraction on a setting of 9-10. Since then I have removed a shim and wound right back to 25 - still getting grinds in the cup. Now I have removed another shim, set it to 15. Will purge some grinds in the morning to ensure the new setting took and try again.

My questions, are does anyone have any suggestions/alterations to my method? And I also want to confirm that I can get a good cup of coffee from a plunger without having grinds in the cup?

David
    It's all about the journey isn't it?

With plunger you will always end up with sediment in the cup, you don't drink that last sip. This is one of the reasons I prefer aeropress (plus you can actually use espresso grind).

My plunger method, not that I'm an expert on it...
    Very coarse grind
    Usually go ~14g coffee for 200ml water or so (end up with 150-175ml in the cup.
    Stir briefly after adding water, place plunger on top (helps to keep the heat in).
    Plunge approaching 4mins contact time and decant into heated cup.
    Optionally remove some of the "scum" with a couple of spoons before plunging. But that's getting a bit carried away imo for plunger.

Brew Methods shows some interesting techniques.

Comment

Buy a timer for you machine no need to wait for it to warm up solves your issue

Comment

Originally posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post
        Buy a timer for you machine no need to wait for it to warm up solves your issue
        Thank you for the suggestion, but in the interest of this thread, i don't want to put it on a timer. Also afraid of burning the element if it's not turned off properly every time. No. I'd rather keep it off a timer. Besides, I also want the plunger for a quick/easy coffee. I don't always have time/patience for the machine.

I will have to look into an aeropress. Been wanting to buy one anyway. =D

Comment

I haven't found that I've got grinds in my plunger coffee, David. So, I don't know if you need to look at the filter on the plunger as being an issue? I do get the sediment but don't know if that is what you're talking about.

Beanscene's June edition had the Dutch version of the French press, which I wouldn't mind getting my hands on. It looks like you wouldn't get so much of that sediment in the cup.

Comment

You can always pour the french press coffee through a paper filter to get a cleaner cup

Comment

Alternatives include increasing the amount of beans and going a slightly more course grind, but would risk under extraction.
              Maybe change the filter of the press itself to a nylon one.
              If you were to filter it with a paper filter, then I much recommend just using an aeropress.
              The aeropress is a cleaner cup as the paper filter doesn't seem to let any of the coffee oils through and I find that it ends up being brighter and less full bodied.
              I personally do remove some of the scum before plunging as I don't find it to be that much of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
                With plunger you will always end up with sediment in the cup, you don't drink that last sip. This is one of the reasons I prefer aeropress (plus you can actually use espresso grind).
                +1 - I find a plunger always gives you grinds in the cup (unless they used instant coffee in it (which some fools do))

An aeropress is great.

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
                    Preheat
                    Weigh 7g (+ or - 0.07g (or so))
                    Grind into plunger
                    Add 200mL off-boil water
                    Stir briefly
                    Add plunger and depress plunger until it sits just above water (why do this? I just do it, don't know why)
                    Steep for 30 seconds
                    Plunge and pour and drink
                    I tend to find the recommended doses for the plunger to be a bit too small. So as has been suggested, try doubling to 14g. Also, 30s seems like a very short time, extraction is a lot slower because it's not pressurised. The time depends on the coffee, e.g. 3 mins was right for one, but too bitter for another, which needed 2:30 instead. Experiment with different steeping times but expect a couple of mins. You can limit the grounds by making say 250ml in the plunger, dosing accordingly and only pouring out 200ml, although its a bit wasteful

Comment

Okay. So an update. I bought an aeropress and hario skerton through sponsor DiBella Coffee. My coava disk came from talk coffee 5 minutes ago (funny story there). Really enjoying the coffee from the aeropress. I'm considering turning my plunger into a stationary holder for my desk.

Story: I went to make a coffee using a paper filter, ground, began to add the water, then realised the black filter holder had fallen off, made a huge mess, but that's not the point. It was as I was cleaning up that I heard to postie. It seems I was never supposed to make that coffee using a paper filter.

Comment

Recently I had to send my Saeco off for repair , so I went out and bought a Moka pot . What a revelation , 4 min and I have a wonderful tasting coffee with no grounds in the cup. I may even retire the Saeco !

Regards ,
                        Brenton.

Comment

I always have a plunger at work and bring in a small supply of pre-ground coffee. considerably better than the awful offerings at most offices. as to the question of sediment, I don't seem to have a big issue with this and see it as a product of having REAL coffee

Comment

Working...
                          X