Coffee Snobs bags as aeropress filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Snobs bags as aeropress filters

This may be old news or glaringly obvious, but last night I had a revelation...

I felt like having a pour over, but I do not have the equipment to make one. I do however, have an earopress. I initially tried making a pour over with the paper filters (My new s-Filter is on it's way) but the flow was too slow, so I started hunting around for alternatives and came across my stash of empty coffeesnobs bags and a lightbulb went off.

I used a paper filter as a guide and cut out a almost-circular filter, good enough to make a good seal in the aeropress. I set my grinder fairly course and checked out the ratios and timings and I was off...

The result was surprisingly good. Not quite as good as a V60 or what I get from my favorite coffee shop, but it satisfied my desire for pourover. I'm sure that with a little tweaking I'll get the recipe down pat.

I also used the cloth filter in a normal Aeropress extraction and I was very happy with the results. There was a very small anount ov extremely fine setiment in the cup and the flavour was slightly different from a paper filter.

I have re-puropsed many household items in th persuit of the perfect cuppa, and this follows the same trend. I had to share.

One question, perhaps Andy would know best, but tips and feedback are welcome:
    Can anyone see any possible adverse effects from using the cofeesnobs bags from a health perspective?

Nice idea, never thought of using it for the Aeropress.

I have used the bags before to strain a bucket of "coffee syrup" for a slushie machine.
    ...make a bucket of sugar syrup, add ground coffee, cover and leave overnight then strain through a CoffeeSnob cotton bag.

Similar results to you, some fine sediment but nothing that bothered me.

Can anyone see any possible adverse effects from using the cofeesnobs bags from a health perspective?
    The CS bag material is unbleached 100% cotton. I would expect zero health effects.

Comment

Will try that on the Aeropress when the paper supply runs out Rob. Good idea. I was going to get one of those metal filters but i think using coffee bags will prove resourceful.

I suspect the more you use it, the better it will be in regards to taste. A bit like seasoning a new coffee machine and it's portafilters.

Lately i've been using one of the bags to effectively filter out ground soy beans for my home made soy bean milk/drink. It's an drink very popular with the chinese community.

Will keep that coffee syrup technique for the future mobile coffee van, especially for static events. Good one Andy.

Comment

Andy, Coffee Syrup Slushies... I have to try one of those!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been using the cloth filter all weekend with great success.I have found that they shrink slightly after first use, aside from that all is well.

Happy extracting.

Comment

The new bags with the zip are perfect for 4 x 250g bags of roasted coffee too!
          The ones without the zip also fit them fine, but being able to zip it up makes it a very neat delivery system.

Comment

Erm where do we get these bags?

Comment

They are the cotton bags that green beans are shipped in.

Comment

Oh.. That means I must get into roasting to get them?

Comment

Originally posted by brokenvase View Post
                  Erm where do we get these bags?
                  Here

Comment

Very interesting, I might have to try thus method out as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X