Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeropress

By Eleni Lambis

The aeropress is a little unsung hero, it delivers great flavour as a clean, smooth, rich coffee in next to no time – yet it looks like a funny pump gadgety thing? It’s also so affordable – hello GFC! Most people I’ve demonstrated to think the taste, body and texture is of a standard that if they had not seen the aeropress first, they would have assumed it was produced by some sort of filter machine.

The aeropress is also a great traveller, no more instant coffee in your hotel room on that business trip! Use it at home, in the office, day trips, camping, BBQ’s … anywhere!

Here are 5 tips to live by:

Grind is everything, stick to medium coarse (consistency of table salt).
    Dampen the filter with a few drops of water before you add the coffee and start the brew. This will help more of the flavour pass through the filter into your cup.
    Never pour boiling water straight from the kettle into the aeropress, wait one to two minutes then start the pour over and use the stirrer to saturate the granules and plunge between 20-30 seconds! Happy Days.
    Although perfect for black coffee drinkers, if you heat some milk or use a milk frother/plunger to make your favourite style of coffee: latte, flat white, cappuccino or straight up Americano/long black. Don’t forget to cool down in Summer and have it as an iced coffee.
    It’s not rocket science, super value for money.

Who is Eleni Lambis and why should we value her opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      Who is Eleni Lambis and why should we value her opinion?
      The only stuff I can find on Eleni is on a site where she has started a thread "Sponsored Posts...for better or for worse"....which proceeds to talk about the "re-hash of old hack - sponsored posts in the newsfeed section of facebook". Who knows?

Anyway, 6 clicks from zero on the Porlex Mini, inverted method with plunger fitting just touching the number (3) on the Aeropress and I reckon it makes a pretty interesting cup of coffee....though it is in no sense espresso.

Comment

Aeropress is nothing compared to proper espresso. Ive had to drag the AP out and use it for the past 2 weeks and really its barely acceptable at making decent coffee.

Sorry Eleni i beg to differ on your opinion.

Comment

Aeropress is not an espresso maker, regardless of what the box states. It's original intention was espresso however it's just bad at it.

It is, however, outstanding at making a great cup of filtered black coffee. There's even a world championship for aeropress brewing.

Anyone promoting or marketing the aeropress as a great espresso maker clearly has no actual experience with the device.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
            Aeropress is not an espresso maker, regardless of what the box states. It's original intention was espresso however it's just bad at it.

It is, however, outstanding at making a great cup of filtered black coffee. There's even a world championship for aeropress brewing.

Anyone promoting or marketing the aeropress as a great espresso maker clearly has no actual experience with the device.
            Spot on, James. And, in fact, it makes a very nice 'filtered black coffee with a tiny bit of warmed up milk' too. Mind you, I've never used filter paper in the thing....alternate between the coava and s-filter depending on the beans. The best thing I did was to stop attempting to emulate an espresso and treat the aeropress coffee as a different, but related, drink.

Of course, people's tastes are different, and some don't fancy the taste of filter coffee, no matter how good it is. For some, it is probably innate, for others it's possibly an expectations things...reinforced by a lot of habit. Anyway, I really enjoy both my true espresso drinks and the aeropress stuff, and partic. like the aeropress of an afternoon (when I don't typically drink espresso).

Comment

a fellow (also on CS) came to our regular cupping session on Friday a couple of weeks ago and was talking about how disappointed he was with the aeropress. Lead to believe it makes espresso... I brewed him a cup on it and he seemed very impressed. It's an excellent brewer, convenient, easy to clean, but really just not great at espresso

Comment

I think im basing my opinion soley on the fact i went from drinking espresso daily back to AP. I think this change in flavour is far to dramatic, hence why i have such a harsh view on it.
                That said though if you drank AP constantly (which i did in the past when i didnt have an espresso machine) then it does create a satisfying cup

Comment

I agree, going from drinking latte to long black will get sometime to get use to but the experience is worth it, I have been drinking milk based coffee for few years but while I stayed in HK recently I have learned to drink long black, syphon, drip coffee and filtered coffee, they are popular in specialty coffee shops in HK.

Comment

I got an Aeropress for christmas. I now have coffee at work - I find a teaspoon of sweatened condensed milk makes a coffee I enjoy. Still working out the grind and right beans to use - have managed to make some jolly good coffee's, and a few dodgy ones...

Comment

Just got my aeropress last week (em6910 wasn't travelling well, I needed coffee at home and was still deciding on what new machine to get....think I made a good choice), anyway it is exactly like BOSW says, and I might add that when you have been at sea (or isolated in generral) for a long time you would be very surprised at how low you would stoop, you have to just consider it as a different drink all together which, is a tactic that I have employed on many a lonely night at sea over the years when it was just me, an empty sea, a kettle, some international roast and some suspect smelling UHT milk.......

However, this is the sole reason for getting an aeropress (and hario grinder) so that I don't have to stoop so low as the "any port in a storm" method of caffeine delivery previously utilised. It is compact, light and seems pretty indestructible.

However, I must admit I loved reading all of the wonderful and colourful descriptions on the box when I first got it.......almost made me want to throw my espresso machine away as the aero made the best coffee that you could get according to the praise on the box!!!

On a slightly more serious note though, I love the coffee that this remarkably simple little device makes but is there a way to extract more of the oils into the cup? Do I have to get rid of the filter papers to do this?

Regard f.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner View Post
                        ... is there a way to extract more of the oils into the cup? Do I have to get rid of the filter papers to do this?
                        Yes. Get yourself an Able disc, or better a Kaffeologie Stainless Filter. I don't know where else you get them, but Andy sells the S filter in Beanbay CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay .

Comment

I personally prefer the flavour profile of the Able, but they're so cheap you can get one of each and experiment!

We sell both.

Chris

Comment

Yea, worth to get both to examine the difference and see which one you prefer. I just got both in cafebiz...^^

Comment

I just got one for my country work trips.
                              Looking forward to experimenting with it

I only hope that I can find a better (more consistent) hand grinder... I don't want to spend more than $100 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X