electric coffee perculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric coffee perculators

HI all have just started to brew my coffee in a westinghouse electric percolator cp1 made in the 1960's found two of these

in a second hand

shop for about nz $7.00 dollars. and they make wonderful coffee have used my own roasted Ethiopian harrar and indian

mysore plantation a both roasted to second crack the Ethiopian harrar has a nice strong snap to it to me it tastes nicer in

the percolator then in my espresso machine. was wondering if any others out there were using this brew method and what

coffee your using would be interesting to hear your views on this method of preparation. here is a picture of the percolator

regards shane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mr_slurpy; 22 June 2013, 09:17 PM. Reason: wrong grammer

I have one in the office. Makes great coffee. Better than the French press we have previously.

I found that using cold water to boil first gives it a richer flavor.

Comment

HI there okitoki

nice to no others are using this brew method when i looked for were they were made was happy to see

that my two westinghouse percolators were stamped with made in new zealand made good things back before the 60's

what variety or origin of bean do you like to use in your percolator ?

regards shane

Comment

This is a very intriguing bit of equipment. My friend used to have a sunbeam electric percolator in the 90s that looked like a coffee pot - not quite as unique looking as this but, likewise, it made a really decent cup.

Does anyone know if there are many of these things around or how many manufacturers made such items? I like their look. Must keep an eye out in secondhand stores and the likes. Any more pics?
        Last edited by Javaphile; 23 June 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

What's the 'Go' with boiling the water first?
          Do you put boiling water into where you would normally put cold water then switch it on?

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
            What's the 'Go' with boiling the water first?
            Do you put boiling water into where you would normally put cold water then switch it on?
            I read some where that with cold water it would take longer to fully reach the temp to switch off. So the longer it takes, the more water would be brew to the top to drip down.

When I first tried it, I did notice the taste was richer. Seems to work, So I kept on using cold water from the water dispenser.

mine is a Russell Hobbs one I picked up from an old couple who had it for awhile. Makes good coffee still before I discovered home espresso

Comment

Mr Slurpy asked a question hoping for some informative feedback--come on guys lets keep this forum what it always has been, friendly and helpful without the c.......p!!

Comment

Shall I lighten the mood a little?

When I was a wee lad, I used to think that a "Percolator" was actually a "Perkyoulater" because after you drank it you felt refreshed from the caffeine hit, thusly the description was in the name Perk-you-later....I really was dense child at times; I only wish I could proclaim that I grew out of it :P

Comment

I found an old glass stove top percolator in the dark corners of one of my mums cupboards the other week. I don't believe I have ever tried coffee using this type of brew method. Sounds like it could be interesting way to brew a fruity central.

Comment

Another comment about this Mr Slurpy, I have never tried the difference between cold & hot water in my stove top percolator so don't know if makes a difference or not. Will try in the next few weeks though. I do think that when boiling water on the stove cold water takes longer to boil but once it reaches the ambient water (not boiling temp) temp it would heat at the same rate for the same volume of liquid and energy applied.
                    But, because there is a much longer period of time when compared to boiling water in a comparison then there would be, and I am making assumptions based on scanty information, a much longer brewing time where the vapour and steam start to infuse, so maybe there is merit in a cold vs hot water brew.

As I said, I have only ever used water at ambient temperature from the tap so can't say. But think as long as water is below the temp at which it starts to give off steam/vapour then actual percolation would be the same I would presume. Could be totally wrong.

I certainly think that the grind would be the biggest variable though.

Still love the look of this Westinghouse and will be keeping an eye out in shops for an old electric percolator of similar making.

Last edited by Mariner; 23 June 2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner View Post
                      Another comment about this Mr Slurpy,
                      Bloody invisible ink!

I think Shane has done exactly what he should have. Responded to the helpful posts and ignored the rest. Well done. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
                        Bloody invisible ink!

I think Shane has done exactly what he should have. Responded to the helpful posts and ignored the rest. Well done. Carry on.
                        Sorry, have fat fingers that pressed send instead of a letter on the iPhone....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve82 View Post
                          I found an old glass stove top percolator in the dark corners of one of my mums cupboards the other week. I don't believe I have ever tried coffee using this type of brew method. Sounds like it could be interesting way to brew a fruity central.
                          Same. We had one in the '60s when I was a whipper snapper. It had a wire triangle placed under the base to stop contact between glass and red hot element coil. As I recall condensation funnelled down through the basket of coarse grounds and back into the boiling water. Yuk. The result after many minutes of this process was bitter and unpleasant, which I suspect is why these percolators had a short-lived history. We returned to Pablo instant coffee, before a neighbouring Italian family introduced us to the the mocca pot, and freshly roasted coffee from the local continental deli. Years later I discovered the glass thing in dad's shed and threw it out - should have kept it as an ornamental curio.

Comment

I have a few percolators at the Snobbery, most of them my kids have bought for me at garage sales and school fetes etc.
                            ...and yes, they do produce a bitter brew but some people like that (just ask a Guinness beer drinker if bitter is better).

I'll add some pictures to the thread sometime...

Comment

here you all go some more pictures of my percolators.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by mr_slurpy; 23 June 2013, 01:33 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X