Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeropress

Hi all,

A couple months ago I was given an Aeropress and hand grinder for my birthday. Since then I have enjoyed experimenting with it at work with some success and some not so great coffees.

Yesterday I was in my local specialty coffee cafe and want chatting with the guys about them and one of them who works most of the Aeropress put me into the Aeropress APP (I just put Aeropress into App Store- only one there) which give u a range of different brew recipes to brew with an Aeropress and has an inbuilt timer.
    Tried it out tonight and it's quiet good, looking forward to experimenting tomorrow more with it.

Just thought it might help others.

Question though- what brew reciepies/methods is your favourite??

Thanks mmmcoffee, it looks interesting.

Comment

the App does not mention water temperature? I thought that was also important.

Comment

Also only gives amounts of coffee in 'scoops' not grams...

Comment

Hi ddhytz the water shouldn't be boiling about 90degrees. I just add a splash of cool water into my boiling water then add this to the Aeropress.
          As far as weight of coffee, they suggest the scoops because this is what the Aeropress comes with. Test different amounts and grinds coarseness it's part of the adventure.
          I really enjoy my Aeropress.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmcoffee View Post
            Hi ddhytz the water shouldn't be boiling about 90degrees. I just add a splash of cool water into my boiling water then add this to the Aeropress.
            As far as weight of coffee, they suggest the scoops because this is what the Aeropress comes with. Test different amounts and grinds coarseness it's part of the adventure.
            I really enjoy my Aeropress.
            Aeropress was invented by Alan Adler... The man who built Aerobie (which is a frisbee on steroids)

Basically, as far as mmmcoffee is concerned, Boiled coffee is spoiled coffee... in which most baristas are familiar with the phrase....

The important things to focus on is,

Coffee bean quality, Water Quality, Water temperature, Coffee-Water Ratio, Grind size, filter type, pressure levels, the saturation level, the brew time and so on

Keep it a complex brew and be happy!!!

Comment

RayT what's your thoughts in the paper filters supplied with Aeropress vs the stainless aftermarket ones? Heard good and bad of both. Had a barista who looks after all Aeropress coffees in that cafe when I asked about the, say just use the paper ones don't worry about the stainless ones. I thought stainless allowed more of the oils through into the cup??

Comment

Personally...

I love the s/s filters, mostly use the fine one. I would imagine in a commercial situation, the extra time required to be devoted to cleaning the s/s filters may be better used selling more coffee. With the paper filters you just throw them out with the spent puck...

Mal.

Comment

The paper filters will have constant replacements as a requirement....

And the stainless doesnt need replacements

Anyways the property of the metal filters are great, More coffee oils than paper (since paper absorbs coffee oils) and no sediment (the holes are small and tight)

Comment

If you could, get a metal filter from Able....

Sorry for the late reply...... [emoji6]

Comment

No worries on time Ray appreciate the reply from u and Mal! That was my thoughts on the stainless filters, but was interested on the baristas response.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmcoffee View Post
                        No worries on time Ray appreciate the reply from u and Mal! That was my thoughts on the stainless filters, but was interested on the baristas response.
                        Good luck and keep on brewing ;D

Comment

I use paper filters and reuse them.

Comment

I've only recently made the switch to ss filters at work on my aeropress. Im in the 'fan of' club. With my humble palette I honestly can't detect any discernible improvement or decrease in quality.... Just one less thing to worry about. Dead easy to clean too. I've made much more noticeable changes in flavour by tweaking volume of coffee beans, grind and actual roast depth of my beans.
                            Great little app tho, thanks for sharing... Given me something to play with at wk.

Comment

Originally posted by ddhytz View Post
                              I use paper filters and reuse them.
                              Disposable paper products are generally meant to be used once and then either binned or flushed. Just sayin'

Comment

Working...
                              X