This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE ULTIMATE cold brew / cold drip thread

COLD BREW LOVERS - LET'S MAKE THIS THE ULTIMATE COLD BREW THREAD.

Share pics, videos, equipment reviews, links, etc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

About me....

I first experienced cold drip from a home made cold dripper - WOW - a mouthful of ripened fruit, velvety chocolate and honey.

I have a morning espresso or pourover, then cold drip sees me through the rest of the day.

One of the great benefits of cold brew is that you can pack a flask of it and take it anywhere. ....and I do that. I take it everywhere !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another hobby is photography so expect some great cold drip / dripper pics

Here's my Cafe Romeo Juliet Tears with the ice water loaded.
    Attached Files

Comment

3 cold drip labs

3 labs.

1. My lab
      2 Heisenberg's lab
      3. Commercial lab
      Attached Files

Comment

Just wondering what is the difference between the coffee made by this cold drip and Toddy cold brew method?

Comment

Originally posted by ddhytz View Post
          Just wondering what is the difference between the coffee made by this cold drip and Toddy cold brew method?
          I believe that the Toddy system is more of an immersion method (i.e. and water are mixed in a sort of slurry similar to a plunger before dripping through), than Cold Drip which slowly drips the water through a column of grounds.

GrahamK

Comment

Great question. One benefit of cold drip compared with cold steep is that cold drip can give you a much stronger concentrate. You can get something with a similar punch to an espresso, but with a completely different flavour profile and very low acidity.

Comment

Cold steep can also yield a concentrate. I get the same amount of liquid from my cold steep as brewing the same mass of beans as espresso yields.

Java "Still loving the CP!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413270760.867010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	738053 iced "espresso"

Comment

Thanks Java. Does anyone else have thoughts on the differences between cold drip and cold steep? It's an interesting discussion ...

Comment

The cold drip coffee I've had has been, on aggregate, quite sweeter. But that could just be the people/places that I've been to, rather than the method.

Comment

Thanks to CS I searched cold drip and made a DIY version with my aeropress. Made 3 batches now and am hooked, love it! Love the different flavours you get from cold drip over espresso! Worth a trial at home! Living in Qld is gets a bit hot for hot coffee in January and Feb so looking forward to this as a great option!

Comment

I live in a hot climate, and ice is going to melt fairly quickly. Will cold drip in the fridge yield the same results (taste) as ice?

Comment

Good point I'll have the same problem here in Qld summer. Give it a try, the ice is just there to keep the water cold. Maybe just set it up in the fridge with cold water and no ice. Try both and let me know how it goes so I can copy

Comment

You guys seriously need to smack some love for the Yama glass.........

If not you should get a Dasani and a nice syphon for that.........

If you wanna do some cold brew on yhe ghetto....

Anyways, Smile

Comment

I don't think the water has to be iced for cold drip, just room temp will be OK, then chill to serve.

Comment

Working...
                              X