Aeropress Quick Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeropress Quick Review

Choice magazine has just published a quick review of the Aeropress. They have given it a miserable 2 out of 5 stars rating. They used super market pre-ground coffee because they presumed that is what most users would use.
    I have written a comment on their website informing them that I thought their review was disgusting. The review and my comments can be read on the Choice website without logging in.

They probably thought it was an espresso machine. Idjuts.

Best if they stick to reviewing can openers.

Comment

The irony? If I were to google ‘choice magazine aeropress review’, the first search result is this coffeesnobs thread, and I still can’t find a link to that choice review. Shows how much credibility they have lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
        They probably thought it was an espresso machine.
        Well...
        The Aeropress box does say "1-4 Cup Coffee and ESPRESSO MAKER" and quotes Robin Sam as saying "The best coffee maker I've ever owned"

I don't agree with both those comments on the box but if used right, the aeropress makes one excellent long black, often better than what you can make on even the fanciest espresso machines. Don't believe me? Try some blind taste tests and you might be surprised at the depth of flavours and big body you can get out of one of these.... as long as you don't want a Cafe Latte and are happy with a long black or a long black with a splash of milk.

Used right it's a great travel gizmo and good value which is why we sell them in BeanBay and why it's the first thing packed in my bag when I travel as you can always find a kettle!

Who needs Choice to tell us what tastes great?
        ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Avex View Post
          The irony? If I were to google ‘choice magazine aeropress review’, the first search result is this coffeesnobs thread, and I still can’t find a link to that choice review. Shows how much credibility they have lol.
          Nah, no irony. Came up as the first two on my google search, CS 3rd.

I subscribe to choice but I doubt if that's the issue.
          Last edited by chokkidog; 2 December 2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Choice have zero credibility when it comes to things coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              Who needs Choice to tell us what tastes great? ;-)
              Nailed it in one Andy

Comment

FYI chokkidog the links if the 2 above threads are both bad.

Java "Bad what?!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thanks jp,

I'll just experiment with this one...

Aeropress coffee maker review - CHOICE

Which works for me.

Comment

Well...

I don't agree with both those comments on the box but if used right, the aeropress makes one excellent long black, often better than what you can make on even the fanciest espresso machines.
                    I agree Andy it guarantees a consistent brewed coffee. Methods can make incredible differences too. I prefer a long black on my Aeropress any day to one from my Bezzera Domus simply because of the room to experiment.

p.s on a side not, I have mucked around with a lot of filters and methods. I co-run and edit for a young UK website that is dedicated to a lot of things relating to coffee (just like here on CS). My co-partner started it out as mainly an Aeropress site & stories about coffee farms from our correspondents from all over. We conducted a successful survey on Aeropress methods and received a decent amount of emails in return. We compiled a list of the 17 best methods we tested ourselves from specialty cafes, roasters etc that got back to us. This is what convinced me that Aeropress is actually an incredible tool.

My favourite (coincidentally the #1 voted on our poll) is 15g, 40sec steep 20 sec press, 85-88 degree water, grind size between espresso and filter, 200ml water (inverted method). We even made a list of the particular coffees it worked best with. A few Kenyans were my top pics.

We also have an in depth review of Aeropress filters we received for free from our contacts. This was fun to play around with and added another layer of complexity to 'Aeropressing'. It took time to convince me and I am sure that is common. Here is a picture from from recent travels. Sorry for the long message.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010555.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	738225
                    Last edited by gonzo89; 2 December 2014, 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                      Thanks jp,

I'll just experiment with this one...

Aeropress coffee maker review - CHOICE

Which works for me.
                      Works for me as well!

Java "" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

i had a good laugh reading through it hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo89 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]8143[/ATTACH]
                          And there is another one for the box...

Aeropress: loved by more Wombats than any other brewing method.

Comment

And there is another one for the box...

Aeropress: loved by more Wombats than any other brewing method.
                            I had a laugh Andy. I had not even thought of that The wombats are never overly curious as you sit around them, so it was kind of strange I had finished brewing and it came close for a sniff. It proceeded to chew its way onwards as usual around my feet as I sipped down my coffee.

Comment

Hi Gonzo89, I agree mate the aeropress is a great brewing method! Love that shot from Cradle mountain!

Comment

Working...
                              X