Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stovetop question from a newbie..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stovetop question from a newbie..........

I have just spent a while browsing your forum and there is a lot of useful information here.

A question for my first post, if I may.

We owned an espresso machine for a while and it was inconsistent, being at the lower end of the price range (to be expected). It was occasionally good but more often than not, not good. Could have been operator error although I followed the same technique each time.

As much as I'd love to get a good quality home espresso machine (ECM or similar) not everyone here shares my enthusiasm to spend the $$$$$

In the meantime, I have bought a new Stella Lucido 6 cup stainless stovetop pot to try to make a decent coffee. The first couple tasted metallic which I expected seeing that the instructions said to throw the first ones away.

i have made a few since and disappointingly, the coffee smells burnt as it fills the upper chamber. I store the beans in the fridge and grind them just before I use them. Have heard differing opinions there about storing in the fridge versus not. It is heated on a medium heat (at about 4. The maximum is 9) on a ceramic cooktop, not induction. I'm sure that the smell is a burnt one, not a bitter coffee one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LFM60; 20 October 2016, 10:55 PM. Reason: Added the word stovetop to title

Originally posted by LFM60 View Post
    I have just spent a while browsing your forum and there is a lot of useful information here.

We owned an espresso machine for a while and it was inconsistent, being at the lower end of the price range (to be expected). It was occasionally good but more often than not, not good. Could have been operator error although I followed the same technique each time.

As much as I'd love to get a good quality home espresso machine (ECM or similar) not everyone here shares my enthusiasm to spend the $$$$$

In the meantime, I have bought a new Stella Lucido 6 cup stainless stovetop pot to try to make a decent coffee. The first couple tasted metallic which I expected seeing that the instructions said to throw the first ones away.

i have made a few since and disappointingly, the coffee smells burnt as it fills the upper chamber. I store the beans in the fridge and grind them just before I use them. Have heard differing opinions there about storing in the fridge versus not. It is heated on a medium heat (at about 4. The maximum is 9) on a ceramic cooktop, not induction. I'm sure that the smell is a burnt one, not a bitter coffee one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi LFM60.

For around $550 you can get a Bacchi which is a stove-top but it is different to all other stove-tops in that it makes espresso under pressure. I own one and can vouch for the quality of the build and the taste of the coffee it produces. Way better than a normal stove-top which just percolates the coffee.

Comment

Thanks Gavisconi007. Your info appreciated.

I'll check it out

Comment

Don't let the whole lot of water perc through, and when you take it off heat, (if its not too much of a pain) sit it on ice. It stops it from cooking and makes for a smoother cup in my opinion.

Comment

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
          G'day LFM60

Most likely cause of burnt taste - overheated and burnt the seal. Probably 80% of cases at an educated guess. Only fix is to replace the seal.

19% of the remaining 20% is due to overdosing and the seal not sealing properly as a direct result. Most common sign: Steam is escaping around the seal when trying to get a cuppa.

BTW, for about $200 you can get a Rommelsbacher "espresso deluxe" which is basically a German engineered electronic (very high grade) stainless automatic version of the beast you have. Literally any idiot can drive one (speaking about the unknown abilities of other users, not your good self).

For my money, the next best alternative is a real espresso machine (SB 6910 upwards) which varies from $200 secondhand (... take your chances) or around $500 "on special". Anything above that level - the sky is the limit.

Hope this helps.

TampIt

Comment

Originally posted by shortblackman View Post
            Don't let the whole lot of water perc through, and when you take it off heat, (if its not too much of a pain) sit it on ice. It stops it from cooking and makes for a smoother cup in my opinion.
            Thanks shortblackman.

I make sure I take it off the heat but haven't tried the ice idea. Will give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
              G'day LFM60

Most likely cause of burnt taste - overheated and burnt the seal. Probably 80% of cases at an educated guess. Only fix is to replace the seal.

19% of the remaining 20% is due to overdosing and the seal not sealing properly as a direct result. Most common sign: Steam is escaping around the seal when trying to get a cuppa.

BTW, for about $200 you can get a Rommelsbacher "espresso deluxe" which is basically a German engineered electronic (very high grade) stainless automatic version of the beast you have. Literally any idiot can drive one (speaking about the unknown abilities of other users, not your good self).

For my money, the next best alternative is a real espresso machine (SB 6910 upwards) which varies from $200 secondhand (... take your chances) or around $500 "on special". Anything above that level - the sky is the limit.

Hope this helps.

TampIt
              Thank you TampIt.

I wasn't expecting to get replies tonight. Thank you all so far.

It is possible I burnt the seal. I made the mistake the first time of having the cooktop on 7 instead of 4.
              I have been careful not to overdose so that's not it.

I'll look at the Rommelsbacher as well. :-)
              Last edited by LFM60; 21 October 2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you TampIt.

I wasn't expecting to get replies tonight. Thank you all so far.

It is possible I burnt the seal. I made the mistake the first time of having the cooktop on 7 instead of 4.
                I have been careful not to overdose so that's not it. More likely the seal.

I'll look at the Rommelsbacher as well. :-)
                Is it a rubber or silicone seal? I would've thought it'd be silicone. If it is you won't have burnt it and it won't be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                  Is it a rubber or silicone seal? I would've thought it'd be silicone. If it is you won't have burnt it and it won't be the problem.
                  It's silicone LeroyC. Thanks for your reply.

Thinking it's the beans.

Comment

It's silicone LeroyC. Thanks for your reply.

Thinking it's the beans.
                    Probably technique actually. I'm busy at work at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll either write some basic instructions or post a link to some.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                      Probably technique actually. I'm busy at work at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll either write some basic instructions or post a link to some.
                      Thank you LeroyC.

Comment

do you fill it with hot or cold water?

Comment

Originally posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
                          do you fill it with hot or cold water?
                          i have tried both with no discernible difference Libertyrx1.

What's recommended? Most of the videos I've seen say cold water.

I use filtered, by the way.
                          Last edited by LFM60; 21 October 2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I used to use cold filtered water but as of more recently, i now use hot water. By using hot water, it means it perculates subtstantially quicker and means the grinds sitting in the basket are spending less time on the heat

Comment

Originally posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
                              I used to use cold filtered water but as of more recently, i now use hot water. By using hot water, it means it perculates subtstantially quicker and means the grinds sitting in the basket are spending less time on the heat
                              Thanks for the advice Libertyrx1.

Will try hot water again. I'll get it right sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                              X