Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Press vs Aeropress vs Clever Coffee Dripper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • French Press vs Aeropress vs Clever Coffee Dripper

    Hi all,

    I hope everyone's well.

    I'm trying to figure out what the best small and portable coffee brewer would be.

    I know a lot of people rave about the Aeropress, which I've unfortunately not yet had the chance to experience.

    I do own a french press, which is very standard.

    I've also heard a lot of talk of "clever coffee drippers" - nobody can seem to choose a favourite (personal taste obviously applies).

    Just out of interest though, if anyone can give me some pros and cons of each, and maybe just a personal opinion, I'd much appreciate it!

  • #2
    I've just realised I think this is probably in the wrong section, I probably should have put it in "Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes" - If this is the case, I apologise, but I'm not sure how to change it now.

    Comment


    • #3
      What type of coffee are you trying to make? Are you aiming for a filter-style black coffee? Or something approximates an espresso shot? Or something else?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
        Hi all,

        I hope everyone's well.

        I'm trying to figure out what the best small and portable coffee brewer would be.

        I know a lot of people rave about the Aeropress, which I've unfortunately not yet had the chance to experience.

        I do own a french press, which is very standard.

        I've also heard a lot of talk of "clever coffee drippers" - nobody can seem to choose a favourite (personal taste obviously applies).

        Just out of interest though, if anyone can give me some pros and cons of each, and maybe just a personal opinion, I'd much appreciate it!
        I haven’t tried all the brew methods you have mentioned, but lately I did start using an aeropress. It is certainly very convenient for traveling, since it comes with a nice dedicated bag that can hold all the parts. The cylindrical shape gives it a very small footprint. As a versatile brewing method, it features so many options like dose/grind, immersion time, number of stirs and the choice between regular and reversed method ... etc. It may seem mind-boggling, but once you find a recipe that works for you, it is not hard to replicate at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          What type of coffee are you trying to make? Are you aiming for a filter-style black coffee? Or something approximates an espresso shot? Or something else?
          Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee, even though I do add milk, when I have machine access I do multiple espresso shots and top up with steamed milk. However I can best replicate this really!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by degaulle View Post
            I haven’t tried all the brew methods you have mentioned, but lately I did start using an aeropress. It is certainly very convenient for traveling, since it comes with a nice dedicated bag that can hold all the parts. The cylindrical shape gives it a very small footprint. As a versatile brewing method, it features so many options like dose/grind, immersion time, number of stirs and the choice between regular and reversed method ... etc. It may seem mind-boggling, but once you find a recipe that works for you, it is not hard to replicate at all.
            This is what I've been seeing a lot of.

            Everyone seems to have their own little methods with the AeroPress, and when they've discovered the method that works best for them, they love the little thing!

            I really want to try it, I take it that the AeroPress is genuinely so much different from a french press that it is worth me buying then? - I suppose so anyway since they're so cheap

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
              Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee,
              Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

              I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
              Last edited by Lyrebird; 8 August 2019, 10:19 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                What make/model grinder do you have ONM?

                Mal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
                  Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee, even though I do add milk, when I have machine access I do multiple espresso shots and top up with steamed milk. However I can best replicate this really!
                  If that is your objective, you can also consider a mokapot. Take the 3-cup Bialetti version and buy a pack of Aeropress filters, these should match the mokapot’s filter area. With a grind somewhat coarser than what you would select for an espresso machine you can make very tasty strong coffee that has a clean taste without the fines. You can top it up with heated milk that you can froth with either a handheld battery-fed frother or your FP. IMO this recipe makes for great cappuccino.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                    Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

                    I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
                    Any chance of a photo? Sounds innovative

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                      Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

                      I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
                      This sounds incredible!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                        Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

                        I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
                        This sounds incredible! It's a shame you've found nothing on the market that quite cuts it, maybe one day you'll be the one to put it on the market!

                        Have you got a link to a thread regarding this marvellous creation?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          aeropress for portability. out of the lot, the clever wins for me, but it's kinda fragile and not suited for travelling.

                          the delter press is also pretty good.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by degaulle View Post
                            If that is your objective, you can also consider a mokapot. Take the 3-cup Bialetti version and buy a pack of Aeropress filters, these should match the mokapot’s filter area. With a grind somewhat coarser than what you would select for an espresso machine you can make very tasty strong coffee that has a clean taste without the fines. You can top it up with heated milk that you can froth with either a handheld battery-fed frother or your FP. IMO this recipe makes for great cappuccino.
                            Oh man, that seems to be yet another amazing shout!

                            I love the idea of how practical a mokapot seems too! I'm overwhelmed with choice now suppose it's better to have a load of great options though! Even if it does make my head want to explode .

                            I'm thinking that would be absolutely ace for use on a campfire, which I intend to have many of...

                            Maybe I'll spend some hours watching YouTube videos, but I can really see myself buying all of em just out of curiosity.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              What make/model grinder do you have ONM?

                              Mal.
                              I don't yet have a grinder myself, I have access to one of these - https://ironandfire.co.uk/product/fr...offee-grinder/ - and when I go in I just grind enough there and then. I bag it up and it's enough to last me a couple weeks.

                              I'm thinking of buying that exact grinder eventually, but for the basic level I'm at I don't think I want to spend quite that much money just yet.

                              I'm also intending to buy a portable grinder, for use with whichever portable brewer I buy. But again, I'm clueless, all I know is I want a ceramic burr grinder, just don't know at all which is the best option for me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X