X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Press vs Aeropress vs Clever Coffee Dripper

Hi all,

I hope everyone's well.

I'm trying to figure out what the best small and portable coffee brewer would be.

I know a lot of people rave about the Aeropress, which I've unfortunately not yet had the chance to experience.

I do own a french press, which is very standard.

I've also heard a lot of talk of "clever coffee drippers" - nobody can seem to choose a favourite (personal taste obviously applies).

Just out of interest though, if anyone can give me some pros and cons of each, and maybe just a personal opinion, I'd much appreciate it!

I've just realised I think this is probably in the wrong section, I probably should have put it in "Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes" - If this is the case, I apologise, but I'm not sure how to change it now.

Comment

What type of coffee are you trying to make? Are you aiming for a filter-style black coffee? Or something approximates an espresso shot? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
        Hi all,

I hope everyone's well.

I'm trying to figure out what the best small and portable coffee brewer would be.

I know a lot of people rave about the Aeropress, which I've unfortunately not yet had the chance to experience.

I do own a french press, which is very standard.

I've also heard a lot of talk of "clever coffee drippers" - nobody can seem to choose a favourite (personal taste obviously applies).

Just out of interest though, if anyone can give me some pros and cons of each, and maybe just a personal opinion, I'd much appreciate it!
        I haven’t tried all the brew methods you have mentioned, but lately I did start using an aeropress. It is certainly very convenient for traveling, since it comes with a nice dedicated bag that can hold all the parts. The cylindrical shape gives it a very small footprint. As a versatile brewing method, it features so many options like dose/grind, immersion time, number of stirs and the choice between regular and reversed method ... etc. It may seem mind-boggling, but once you find a recipe that works for you, it is not hard to replicate at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          What type of coffee are you trying to make? Are you aiming for a filter-style black coffee? Or something approximates an espresso shot? Or something else?
          Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee, even though I do add milk, when I have machine access I do multiple espresso shots and top up with steamed milk. However I can best replicate this really!

Comment

Originally posted by degaulle View Post
            I haven’t tried all the brew methods you have mentioned, but lately I did start using an aeropress. It is certainly very convenient for traveling, since it comes with a nice dedicated bag that can hold all the parts. The cylindrical shape gives it a very small footprint. As a versatile brewing method, it features so many options like dose/grind, immersion time, number of stirs and the choice between regular and reversed method ... etc. It may seem mind-boggling, but once you find a recipe that works for you, it is not hard to replicate at all.
            This is what I've been seeing a lot of.

Everyone seems to have their own little methods with the AeroPress, and when they've discovered the method that works best for them, they love the little thing!

I really want to try it, I take it that the AeroPress is genuinely so much different from a french press that it is worth me buying then? - I suppose so anyway since they're so cheap

Comment

Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee,
              Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
              Last edited by Lyrebird; 8 August 2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

What make/model grinder do you have ONM?

Mal.

Comment

Thinking something espresso style, I like really strong coffee, even though I do add milk, when I have machine access I do multiple espresso shots and top up with steamed milk. However I can best replicate this really!
                  If that is your objective, you can also consider a mokapot. Take the 3-cup Bialetti version and buy a pack of Aeropress filters, these should match the mokapot’s filter area. With a grind somewhat coarser than what you would select for an espresso machine you can make very tasty strong coffee that has a clean taste without the fines. You can top it up with heated milk that you can froth with either a handheld battery-fed frother or your FP. IMO this recipe makes for great cappuccino.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                    Ha, coincidence. I wanted a portable espresso maker that used standard 58 mm portafilters and developed >9 Bar pressure.

I couldn't find such a beast so I made my own. It produces a fairly good shot, limited by the excessive heat loss. I'm working on the heat losses now.
                    Any chance of a photo? Sounds innovative

Comment

This sounds incredible!

Comment

This sounds incredible! It's a shame you've found nothing on the market that quite cuts it, maybe one day you'll be the one to put it on the market!

Have you got a link to a thread regarding this marvellous creation?

Comment

aeropress for portability. out of the lot, the clever wins for me, but it's kinda fragile and not suited for travelling.

the delter press is also pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by degaulle View Post
                            If that is your objective, you can also consider a mokapot. Take the 3-cup Bialetti version and buy a pack of Aeropress filters, these should match the mokapot’s filter area. With a grind somewhat coarser than what you would select for an espresso machine you can make very tasty strong coffee that has a clean taste without the fines. You can top it up with heated milk that you can froth with either a handheld battery-fed frother or your FP. IMO this recipe makes for great cappuccino.
                            Oh man, that seems to be yet another amazing shout!

I love the idea of how practical a mokapot seems too! I'm overwhelmed with choice now suppose it's better to have a load of great options though! Even if it does make my head want to explode .

I'm thinking that would be absolutely ace for use on a campfire, which I intend to have many of...

Maybe I'll spend some hours watching YouTube videos, but I can really see myself buying all of em just out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              What make/model grinder do you have ONM?

Mal.
                              I don't yet have a grinder myself, I have access to one of these - https://ironandfire.co.uk/product/fr...offee-grinder/ - and when I go in I just grind enough there and then. I bag it up and it's enough to last me a couple weeks.

I'm thinking of buying that exact grinder eventually, but for the basic level I'm at I don't think I want to spend quite that much money just yet.

I'm also intending to buy a portable grinder, for use with whichever portable brewer I buy. But again, I'm clueless, all I know is I want a ceramic burr grinder, just don't know at all which is the best option for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X