Starting Out - Manual Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Out - Manual Option

Looking for some advice on the best options to use with a Mokka Pot to being with. In terms of beans/coffee I'm looking at getting either beans or pre-ground from my daily cafe but not sure on:

- For best outcome should I get a grinder and grind the beans each time of will pre-ground work just as well?
    - In terms of a grinder what's a good option to begin with, not really looking to spend more than say $200 to begin with.....happy enough with a mechanical option for example for now.

Don't have the funds for a full blow setup right now in terms of a home machine/good grinder but looking for the best home option for now. Should I be looking at a Moccamaster or similar instead for a better outcome ?

Hi David

Grinding the beans fresh will always give a better flavour. The freshness of the beans (ie roasted within the last three weeks) will make the biggest impact on the quality of your coffee, irrespective of brewing technique.

Cheers

Sniff

Comment

To give you a few options for manual grinders have a look at site sponsor Alternative Brewing, they have a really good range here (https://alternativebrewing.com.au/pr...nual-grinders/). The ones I like based in your price range on reviews (not actual experience) are Hario Pro Mill Slim / Skerton and the Precision Hand Grinder. The Precision being the most solid built of those options and there are a few recent threads here on CS about this grinder. If you want to stretch your budget to premium manual grinders then the Lido, Commandante and Helor grinders have a big following but are all $250+.

In terms of electric grinders you could have a look at some entry level grinders like Breville BCG820, Sunbeam EM480 (Breville and Sunbeam are often on sale on eBay) or Baratza Encore.

Second hand for $200-$400 you could pickup a Compak K3, Mazzer Mini or Rancilio Rocky if you have a hunt around and find a good deal.

The Moccamaster grinder is specifically made to grind coarse for drip brewers so if you decide to go for a manual/automatic espresso machine later then it won't be as useful.
      Last edited by roosterben; 26 August 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X