Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clever Coffee Dripper Recipes

Hey!

First post, although I've been registered for a while. Came back to sell some coffee equipment, but apparently I need 5 posts rather than just lurking around, so I thought I'd join in.
    Are there many users of the Clever Coffee Dripper here? Any favourite recipes?

So far I've been doing something like:
    Ratio: 1:15-17
    100c water
    Coarse~ grind, 30 clicks on the C40
    Sit for two minutes, quick stir to get the crust down
    Drain at four minutes

Based on a YouTube clip I saw.
    I've sort of bounced between V60s, Aeropress, Delter (for a minute) and found the Clever to be a good balance between effort and results.

Sorry if this has been done to death.

Definitely not done to death. Hardly gets a mention in here most of the time.

I use the clever a fair bit. That's a small cafe I try to visit if I'm driving past who I occasionally get filter beans from. The barista there gives me the recipe for the clever because they were using the clever for all batch brews for a while. It's interesting the difference in some of the recipes. I play around myself now that I've had it for over a year, but early on the recipe that he gave me were always a starting point.

It varies a bit with the coffee, but typically I'm doing 65g/L, 96°C water, grind around 55-60 on the Niche, agitate, sit for 2min, drain. Some coffees however are more like 93°C, and 1min sit.

Comment

Chiming in on the topic of clever drippers,

​​​​​Is it possible to use a clever dripper like a V60 where there is a constant drainage?

Comment

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never tried it but it would be possible to use the Clever as a pour over a la V60.

• level3ninja
        level3ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        It's been in the back of my mind to try this for a while

Originally posted by deelearn View Post
      Chiming in on the topic of clever drippers, ​​​​​Is it possible to use a clever dripper like a V60 where there is a constant drainage?
      Definitely. You simply have it sitting on top of your cup or other vessel before you start pouring. It’s not conical like a V60 so you need Melita style filter papers for it. I’ve used mine this way a couple of times, but ultimately I think it’s best attribute is being able to combine immersion brewing with percolation.

Comment

Water off the boil down to 94C depending on roast / coffee.

15g / 240 - 250g water

50g bloom and swirl up to 45 sec

Pour remaining water by 1:00

ONE little jiggle swirl and drain at 2:00

Finished by 3:00 to 3:30

Comment

Hi! How do you think the coffee that you've made with a Clever compares with the coffee that you've made with an Aeropress?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTrooper View Post
            Hi! How do you think the coffee that you've made with a Clever compares with the coffee that you've made with an Aeropress?
            Hi
            I don't use aeropress but use V60, the brews with the dripper and done to produce a richer brew compared to the refined flavours of a V60, both methods are great. I use the Clever for making a richer mug to sip on while reading the paper or doing a crossword.

Comment

Ive been using the method in latest James Hoffmann video https://youtu.be/RpOdennxP24

Cant believe I have not heard of or thought of this before, it works much better.

60 to 65g /L

rinse filter

Brew water in first!

Sprinkle coffee evenly on top and give an little gentle stir just enough to make sure everything is wet.

At 2 mins give it a little jiggle, wait 30 sec for grounds to settle and draIn.

With the 5 senses Japanese filters im getting 30 sec draw down even after intentionally grinding too fine!

Comment

Very interesting, especially the fact that adding coffee on top after the water increases the draw-down time! This seems quite similar to my aeropress recipe except that I put my grounds in before the water, and the drawdown time is obviously not such an issue because it drains down actively via the pump rather than passively.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTrooper View Post
                  Very interesting, especially the fact that adding coffee on top after the water increases the draw-down time! This seems quite similar to my aeropress recipe except that I put my grounds in before the water, and the drawdown time is obviously not such an issue because it drains down actively via the pump rather than passively.
                  Putting the coffee on top of the water decreases the draw down time, not the other way round. That’s because it helps avoid clogging. I’ve been trying it this week and it definitely makes a better brew. Not sure why I hadn’t thought of it before seeing as that’s how I use my Cona vac pot.

Comment

• SuperTrooper
                    SuperTrooper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oops I did indeed mean to write 'decrease' not 'increase', dunno how I made that typo. Thanks for the correction

Hi All
                  I've been using the James Hoffman/Workshop Coffee method as mentioned above by Steve82.
                  15g coffee (12 clicks on Baraza Encore) to 250g water @ 96degC
                  I've been having a few issues with the bed having a large divot on one side after the draw-down and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to why. Other than the divot, the bed is nice and flat.
                  Thanks
                  Mark.

Comment

• level3ninja
                    level3ninja commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got a photo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4023.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	896689
                  Attached Files

Comment

• flynnaus
                    flynnaus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fold in the filter paper at the pocation of the 'sink hole'. Have you tried a stainless steel (or gold) mesh filter. Google 'stainless steel mesh filter clever dripper'

I've never seen anything like that before. How aggressively are you swirling and at what parts of the brew?

Comment

Only doing a gentle stir with a teaspoon after adding the coffee to the water and then another gentle stir after ~2min. I've now been doing a gentle "wiggle" back-and-forth and side-to-side to see if the issue is with the coffee settling.

Comment

Is it always near the fold in the paper?

Comment

• Steve82
                        Steve82 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah it looks like it may be how the paper is being folded.

• MSolomon
                        MSolomon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, it only happens near the fold. I've folded side-first then bottom, and then bottom-first then side. Doesn't seem to make a difference. As per JH's video, I make sure I'm not pressing the filter paper hard into the dripper but I put a bit of pressure on it to hold it in place as I'm pouring to wet the filter.
                    Working...
                    X