Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaggia Classic v competitors

Hi CSrs,

No one appears to have noticed the price difference between the Silvia and Classic?
    As far as the value for money buyer and resale value is concerned, the Silvia at near twice the price of the Classic has a large handicap in my opinion.
    I have been happy with my Gaggias although I would prefer a larger brass or stainless steel boiler but for that small refinement price seems to be hugely impacted.
    I am curious how two machines (Silvia/Classic) similar in so many respects can be priced so differently and why Mr Gaggia has been so slow to react if boiler volume and aluminium is such a concern, is being Italian it?

Lindsay

Comment

Youre right Lindsay.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bang for buck and the performance are pretty darn good. I guess if I was going to make a direct comparison with a Classic, it would be with the Nemox Fenice and similar machines, as normal retail prices are close to identical.

Given that comparison, Id always go with the Fenice as the internals and performance are close to identical with a Silvia, especially with milk coffees - While not as heavily built as a Silvia, the build quality is otherwise excellent and capable of providing excellent service and performance for several decades with a modicum of preventative maintenance applied..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 0E23272B264A0 link=1264408518/16#16 date=1264510222
        Bang for buck and the performance are pretty darn good. I guess if I was going to make a direct comparison with a Classic, it would be with the Nemox Fenice and similar machines, as normal retail prices are close to identical.
        Hi Mal,

Ive not met Miss Fenice, but she sounds like a charmer.
        It is too bad popularity is not more just with its favourites.

Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by 466B6F636E020 link=1264408518/16#16 date=1264510222
          Hi Mal,

The other thing a novice like me has to consider is how well a machine is documented. The information on gaggias and silvias is just over whelming! That is a huge factor for me as I love to tweak and tinker. Something like the Nemox which Im sure is a good machine just doesnt have that following and wont have that "tweakable" factor.

Comment

Gday kefa...

Lots of info around on these machines under a variety of names. Basically, the machines are manufactured by an OEM company for several retail channels around the world and here in Oz. Nemox Fenice is but one of them, others are... Quaha Jnr, Imat Mokita, Lelit and possibly a couple more. They are essentially all the same machine though and as well as coming in a stand-alone espresso machine guise, they also make a model that includes a grinder (Lux brand) like this one here... http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipme...elit-combi.php

Dont worry about using them though. most of what you read for the Silvia about technique, etc can be applied to these machines too. In operation, they are very, very similar. Unlike a Silvia though, Boiler Elements can be replaced quite easily should the occasion arise; with a Silvia, you need to replace the entire Boiler so that is something to think about perhaps.... :-?

Lots of CSers own and use these machines, or have done so at some time in the past. They are a great machine and should be on your short-list along with the Gaggia Classic....

All the best,
            Mal.

Comment

Hi CSrs,

Originally posted by 5065686F5B476B62626161040 link=1264408518/9#9 date=1264465979
              Hi Lindsay,
              The aluminium boiler in Gaggia machines (at least those I am aware of) will not last anywhere near as long as the Brass Silvia boiler. Its also a fair bit smaller.
              Chris
              Brass versus aluminium no argument.
              I have the impression that corrosion may be the main problem for Gaggia boilers (size aside) so would we be expecting 7-12 years or more?
              Have heard said that the heating element is vulnerable with water immersion element boilers: like on the Silvia and related types but dont have any idea about elements actual life expectancy.
              One of our sponsors quotes:
              Gaggia Boiler with element $63.50 and Rancilio Silvia Boiler with element Price $158.50 (boilers and elements are not serviced separately).
              Affordable replacement parts would restore a Classic after boiler failure but a Silvia element failure would be very painful indeed (to a man of my sensitivities).
              My opinion is that Silvia is expensive to buy and may be also to own, although to use a kind description of myself, lets say Im a value for money kind of guy, others may come to quite different conclusions (about the machines anyway).

Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by 4F4A4D4750425A5142230 link=1264408518/20#20 date=1264689684
                Brass versus aluminium no argument.

Have heard said that the heating element is vulnerable with water immersion element boilers: like on the Silvia and related types but dont have any idea about elements actual life expectancy....
                My opinion is that Silvia is expensive to buy and may be also to own
                While any given part may fail, heating element failures in Silvias have almost always been a result of scale build up due to poor maintenance. I cant comment on the Oz market, but resale value here is the states has traditionally been very good for Silvias. Although they admittedly are not the best value in the entry-level machine range any more because of their high price new being that, price-wise, they now approach the low end of E-61 machines and HX machines. This is even more true if the user is considering a equipping their Silvia with a PID.

Comment

Originally posted by 4540474D5A48505B48290 link=1264408518/20#20 date=1264689684
                  (boilers and elements are not serviced separately)
                  They can be. I have a bloke in Melbourne who can bring a dead boiler back to life by tapping in a new element more cheaply than a replacement boiler. The boiler then becomes "old style" with replacable element...

Originally posted by 7B48474D50766E07290 link=1264408518/21#21 date=1264702541
                  While any given part may fail, heating element failures in Silvias have almost always been a result of scale build up due to poor maintenance
                  My experience has been that failure due to lack of boiler priming is the most common cause of failure here.

Originally posted by 7B48474D50766E07290 link=1264408518/21#21 date=1264702541
                  Although they admittedly are not the best value in the entry-level machine range any more because of their high price  
                  Hmm, not so sure about that Randy. When they are obtainable (not in Melbourne at present :, street price seems to be circa $900). The Lelit combi is also excellent buying at a similar price.

There is still a large jump to e-61 single boiler machines and decent entry level HX with $1500 or so being the minimum spend. Agreed that a Silvia + PID can go very close to this and our advice has been that those contemplating a PID silvia should probably jump to a Scace calibrated e-61 single boiler.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Hi Lindsay,

The aluminium boiler in Gaggia machines (at least those I am aware of) will not last anywhere near as long as the Brass Silvia boiler. Its also a fair bit smaller.

Chris
                    Hi Guys.
                    Stalking this site for the last few weeks while I've been looking to replace my recently deceased Sunbeam Cafe Series machine.
                    I have decided on the Gaggia Classic after many forums, reviews and Youtube videos.
                    I could only find a shop in QLD but thanks to this site I found one of your sponsors Segafredo who also price matched it for me to the cheaper QLD shop price, included free delivery and a bag of beans - nice bonus when I only asked about matching the price.

Replying in this thread just to say that the new Gaggia Classic's do not have aluminium boilers anymore, they have stainless steel boilers.
                    Placing my order in the next few days.

-----------
                    Update - some questions I emailed them.

1. It is the newer model (2015 or 2016?) made in the EU with the stainless steel boiler not the older Italian made model with the aluminium boiler?
                    This is the latest model, made in EU with the stainless steel boiler.

2. The largest cup that can fit in is 70mm in height?
                    The height between the spout and drip tray is 70mm. Our standard cappuccino cups are 70mm in height, which would fit, however since you won't fill up a large cup with espresso only, you can always jiggle or tilt the cup a bit as many baristas to when they can't fit large mugs under the spout.

3. Servicing schedule?
                    Servicing the unit is recommended every 6 months or after 8kg of coffee consumed (about 1000 cups) and our standard service fee is currently $140.

5. The basket dimensions so I can get a good tamp, unless it comes with a good one already?
                    Gaggia classics need 58mm tamper. Machine comes with a plastic tamper.

Some forum posts I've read mention multiple baskets including a crema basket with a small pin and that you need to get an additional basket with a base full of holes if the machine doesn't come with it - does the machine come with multiple baskets or just the crema basket and pin?
                    Gaggia classics now come with pressurised basket with pin. Additional standard basket non pressurised can be purchased for approx. $20

Last edited by Riven; 4 January 2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I just replaced the steam wand on mine with a Silvia "proper" one. Much much better than the panarello that comes with it (unless they've done away with those, too.)
                      Mine's served me well. Enjoy.

Comment

Machine just arrived, will be doing a lot of 'testing' tonight

Comment

Working...
                        X