Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6900 - removing the plastic thing

Hi all,

We have a Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6900... now, Ive noticed that just about every review ever written says "remove the black plastic thing from the filter basket". So I decided to do it.

My question is.... how??

The thing appears to be made from flexible cryptonite. I can get a screwdriver down under it and with the aid of pliers Ive managed to bend it and gnaw one side (its probably not going to usable like this ). However, it wont come out. Itll spin around, itll bend, but it just wont come out.

Anyone have any tips? One review seems to suggest removing the spout and pushing from underneath; but I cant budge the spout so thats out. Does it just pop out under extreme force?

If youve managed to remove it, please let me know how you did it...

cheers,
    h

Re: Sunbeam EM6900 - removing the plastic thing

Firstly it was a PITA to get my EM6910 one out. It is held in by a little retaining clip. (See photo)

To get it out without damaging it like mine...remove the spout (use a screwdriver wrapped with masking tape so you dont damage the spout...then use the screwdriver to leverage off the spout). Once you have the double or single spout off...get in there with a screw driver and pop it out!

Comment

Blunt slighty oversized bolt with a fine thread - screw it in and lift out the offending article (what I did twice). Ortherwise use a vise and padding to remove the spout and get it out from underneath.

Cheers

Comment

Success!

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/200ok/335030527/) Yeah that sucker is *mashed*

I couldnt get the spout to budge, but I had another idea. Given that the plastic was already loose from the glue, I knew from the photo that it was a matter of getting the clip to let go.

So, I heated it up (sat it in hot water); which made the plastic softer. A good yank and off it came

Thanks for your help, everyone! It really helped to know exactly what I was dealing with under the plastic disc.

Comment

Yeh, not sure why Sunbeam but them in there... they arent sealed so it goes without saying youll have stuff growing under it after some time...

Pulled mine out immediately.....

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1167134124/0#4 date=1167223350
            Yeh, not sure why Sunbeam but them in there.......
            Does anyone know why???

I still havent taken mine out of my 6910 and have read all the mould stories, but there must be a reason as to why theyre there.

Anyone noticed a difference in their extraction from before and after removal??

Comment

dont know - if you get the dose and everthing else right it can have no bottom at all (ie naked PF) and still give a great espresso

Comment

Originally posted by Dover link=1167134124/0#5 date=1167257846
                Originally posted by marcstolk link=1167134124/0#4 date=1167223350
                Yeh, not sure why Sunbeam but them in there.......
                Does anyone know why???
                The crema enhancer is there because they know/assume most purchasers of their machine will be using stale store bought coffee. The disc will give such coffee a fake crema giving it the appearance of real espresso.

When using fresh high quality beans the disc will actually degrade the quality of the cup.

Java "Make it real!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

its not a crema enhancer, Java.

I believe its purpose is to insulate the pouring espresso from the portafilter, keeping it hotter (on the assumption that you havent botherd to pre-heat the PF adequately).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1167134124/0#8 date=1167276120
                    its not a crema enhancer, Java.

I believe its purpose is to insulate the pouring espresso from the portafilter, keeping it hotter (on the assumption that you havent botherd to pre-heat the PF adequately).
                    Sorry, my misunderstanding. Ill go crawl back under my rock now. :-[ ;D

Java "My bad" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

My only worry now is that there are some scratches on the inside of the basket now - looks a bit like theres copper showing through. Is this likely to be a problem?

Comment

Gday heretic,

No mate, I dont think itll do any actual harm (I take it you mean on the inside of the PortaFilter Bowl), just be a bit unsightly I guess :-?. You might be able to buff the scratches down a bit and try some of that restoration metal polish thats available for some metal finishes... Might work

Cheers,
                        Mal.
                        P.S.
                        I was referring to polish along the lines of what these guys sell....

Comment

Err, whoops, still learning the terminology! Given that the scratches are inside, the visual aspect doesnt really matter (much ). I was just concerned that it might taint the coffee.

As a footnote, we finally had a chance to use the machine today - first time since removing the plastic thing. The coffee was great! Unfortunately we had far too many variables to know if it was the plastic that made the difference.

Variables: coffee, milk and water weve never used before (moved from Brisbane to Sydney so basically nothing is the same since we unpacked the machine); first time weve done the full clean and descale (we did run two shots through before drinking anything); out of practice so I dont know if I dosed and tamped consistently.

But anyway... three double shots, one underextracted but two were fantastic with nice crema. Maybe I just got lucky

Comment

Youll hate hearing this word, but practise, practise and more practise is the order of the day. Once you become consistent with each of the variables that the barista is responsible for, great brews will just take care of themselves so long as the coffee is high quality, freshly roasted beans

Mal.

Comment

Yeah, I figure thats the case. I was actually just hunting for basic guides and so on

Comment

Working...
                              X