Cleaning the EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the EM6910

Id like some information on cleaning the 6910. The manual talks about using Sunbeam tablets with the disk for backflushing. Where do you get those from or can I use an another brands tablets? What tablets do people recommend ? Also what descaler do people use with their 6910?

NB:
    New thread started for this topic.....
    Mal.

Re: Cleaning the EM6910

barri,

Myer/\/DJ in the City sell the cleaning tablets... but dont confuse the cleaning tablets with the descaling tablets... different product... oh, and the tablets are very potent and work very well...

Were are you located? If you are in Sydney, any of Sunbeams service centres sell them... Obriens in Seven Hills Sydney sell them...

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1168919470/0#1 date=1168923343

Were are you located?
      Melbourne,

but do you have to use Sunbeams tablets? What about generic backflushing tablets from the local coffee shop made by companies like cafetto, clean-machine?

Comment

Hi barri

I bought the descaler solution (its a bottle of liquid not tablets) by ringing up the sunbeam customer service number. The descaler solution is mixed with water and goes into the water tank and you cycle the water through the machine. Its a 250ml bottle. I cant remember how much it cost but im pretty sure it was under $10 incl delivery.

I have to get some of those tablets as well as I havent done that since I got the machine

Comment

The Tablets in question are a Cleaner, not a descaler... and its intention is to clean the group and 3 way valve... Descaling is a different process...

Barri, to answer you question on other branded tablets - I simply cant answer... you will need to talk with Sunbeam about that....

Comment

Descaling is an unnecessary process in this case. The machine is at most a few months old. Prevention of buildup using filters and water softening should be the go with any machine, and will be much more effective in the long run.

Re: Sunbeam cleaning tablets. Any coffee machine cleaner will do the trick, you dont have to stick with Sunbeam products.

Comment

The Sunbeam has a Decalc filter in the water tank... so that and using filtered water should buy you 12 months before a descale...

Comment

Hmm...Are thermoblocks more susceptible to scale buildup? Ive had my HX machine for about a year and a half, and Ive not needed to descale once. I only use filtered water from a pitcher, and Ive had no issues. I think the scale factor is being blown a bit out of proportion.

Comment

Im OK on the descaling (when needed) but Im more interested in the backflushing process and the corresponding backflushing tablets (not descaling tablets) as mentioned in the manual.

Has anyone done a backflush on the EM6910 using a blind filter or the recommended method using sunbeam backflushing tablets and the disk behind the door? If so how did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1168919470/0#7 date=1168996551
                    Hmm...Are thermoblocks more susceptible to scale buildup?  Ive had my HX machine for about a year and a half, and Ive not needed to descale once.  I only use filtered water from a pitcher, and Ive had no issues.  I think the scale factor is being blown a bit out of proportion.
                    I would imagine that thermoblocks would be more susceptible because of the relatively narrow channel through which the water passes in the heated block. Untreated water should leave deposits which build up and narrow the passage even more.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by barri link=1168919470/0#8 date=1168997973
                      Has anyone done a backflush on the EM6910 using a blind filter or the recommended method using sunbeam backflushing tablets and the disk behind the door? If so how did it go?
                      Yep, I have... and its highly effective... the PC was also spotless after the clean...

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1168919470/0#9 date=1168998463
                        Hmm...Are thermoblocks more susceptible to scale buildup? Ive had my HX machine for about a year and a half, and Ive not needed to descale once. I only use filtered water from a pitcher, and Ive had no issues. I think the scale factor is being blown a bit out of proportion.
                        I would imagine that thermoblocks would be more susceptible because of the relatively narrow channel through which the water passes in the heated block. Untreated water should leave deposits which build up and narrow the passage even more.

--Robusto
                        The EM6900/\/6910 have Stainless Steel lined TBs .. Steam and Brew....

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1168919470/0#10 date=1168998523
                          Originally posted by barri link=1168919470/0#8 date=1168997973
                          Yep, I have... and its highly effective... the PC was also spotless after the clean...

Which way Marc - BF or using sunbeam stuff?

Comment

Sunbeam Tablets mate...

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1168919470/0#11 date=1168998584
                              Originally posted by robusto link=1168919470/0#9 date=1168998463
                              Hmm...Are thermoblocks more susceptible to scale buildup?  Ive had my HX machine for about a year and a half, and Ive not needed to descale once.  I only use filtered water from a pitcher, and Ive had no issues.  I think the scale factor is being blown a bit out of proportion.
                              I would imagine that thermoblocks would be more susceptible because of the relatively narrow channel through which the water passes in the heated block.  Untreated water should leave deposits which build up and narrow the passage even more.

--Robusto
                              The EM6900/\/6910 have Stainless Steel lined TBs .. Steam and Brew....
                              That wont change the fact that they are narrow tubes which will be more susceptible to scale buildup. This should be especially important for the steam thermoblock, as it evaporates the water to make steam, leaving all the solid mineral deposits behind (not just calcium). Ive heard that sunbeam have some auto cleaning function to address this. I hope it works.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X