Tamper Size for Breville 800ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper Size for Breville 800ES

Does anyone know what is the correct Tamper size for the Breville 800ES is. I do not like the plastic tamper / spoon combo that came with the Breville 800ES and want to get a proper tamper. What Tamper size should I use with this machine. 51mm seems to be the closest but would like some confirmation that this is OK before going out and buying one.

Re: Tamper Size for Breville 800ES

Sure do! But its not the sort of information I post publicly, sorry. But suffice to say youre in the ballpark. Ive got nearly 150 sets of measurements for filter baskets including the 800ES which represents a reasonable IP, and its the sort of information other manufacturers would like to get their hands on so I tend not to broadcast much of that info. If youre getting the tamper from me its straightforward; if its from someone else then hopefully theyve got some measurements they can help you out with.

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the tip Greg, I do like your your tampers and am sure they are well worth the money, but unfortunately I only have a budget of about $30 - $40 and as a novice in the coffee department, would still be happy with a cheaper Stainless Steel model. I will certainly be in contact though if I get approval from the wife. [smiley=engel017.gif]

Comment

Steve G

Good luck finding a 51mm SS tamper.....

there are lots of 58mm and 49mm, 57mm is fairly common..... but you might have real difficulty finding a 51mm other than having one "custom made" by someone like Greg.

And by the way 51mm isnt really 51mm (could be anywhere from 51.5 to 50.5) and unless the tamper is a good fit- you wont get the best results.

I have a GP 58mm which is heaps better than a Reg Barber "nominal" 58mm (because Gregs is a custom fit).

Comment

Hi,
          If you’re prepared to put up with the look, and are not too fussed with an exact fit you could try a +-50mm washer screwed onto the end of a bit of broom stick. [smiley=evil.gif]
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Billi link=1169173233/0#4 date=1169255693
            Hi,
            If you’re prepared to put up with the look, and are not too fussed with an exact fit you could try a +-50mm washer screwed onto the end of a bit of broom stick.   [smiley=evil.gif]  
            Bruce
            Bloody hilarious.

Goodies - talk the missus into upping the budget.
            The GP tamper is a thing of beauty as well as functional.

As for quality, you may not realise how bad those off the shelf ones are until you have a real close look.

I never used the plastic thing that came with my machine.
            Id done all my research and bought a SS one in preparation for the arrival of my new equipment.
            Later on, just before buying from Greg, I had a close look at it and realised the base was not perpendicular to the handle.  :
            How the heck do you get a consistent level tamp with that?
            So as well as being undersized I had that to contend with.

I would have thought that even a mass produced tamper could machined "square".
            But thats an indication of how poor the quality control is, if theres any at all.

Whens your birthday?
            Try to convince your wife to bring the budget forward for that.
            If that doesnt work, appeal to her patriotism; Australia Day is next week - "Buy Australian", "Support Local Industry".

Think of something.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1169173233/0#5 date=1169257134

Goodies - talk the missus into upping the budget.
              The GP tamper is a thing of beauty as well as functional.

As for quality, you may not realise how bad those off the shelf ones are until you have a real close look.
              You are spot on the money there..... the difference between an "off the shelf" piece of cr@p and a Reg Barber crafted tamper was huge.... then I tried one of Gregs custom fitted tampers and the further improvement was astounding..... even though Id been very careful with tamping technique etc.

I expected "some" improvement, but my wife (who is even more of a coffeesnob than I am ) thought I had changed to a new- and much better- bean variety.....

You pays your money and you get what you pay for!

Comment

And you wont be wasting your $40.

Comment

Originally posted by gregpullman View Post
                  Sure do! But its not the sort of information I post publicly, sorry. But suffice to say youre in the ballpark. Ive got nearly 150 sets of measurements for filter baskets including the 800ES which represents a reasonable IP, and its the sort of information other manufacturers would like to get their hands on so I tend not to broadcast much of that info. If youre getting the tamper from me its straightforward; if its from someone else then hopefully theyve got some measurements they can help you out with.

Greg
                  Hi Greg, do you still make the tampers? I have this machine also and am interested in purchasing one. Also a measurer for this machine ?? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X