• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6900 and wet pucks

Hi fellow snobs!

I am getting wet sloppy pucks from my EM6900 and I cant figure out why

The story thus far:
    My machine died about 6 months ago. It would heat up, but the buttons wouldnt work so I wouldnt brew. I was otherwise engaged with the palaver of uni exams and didnt get around to contacting Sunbeam until much later. Once I did get in contact with Sunbeam I sent the machine off to them for repair. It came back about 2 weeks later in working order (steam power seemed improved which was a plus). BUT I was getting, and I still get, sloppy wet pucks!

I thought maybe the group head seal needed replacing as it has been over 12 months since I purchased the machine. So I got in contact with Sunbeam earlier this week and they sent my a new seal free of charge.

So I installed it last night and have been playing with it today (wasting loads of beans) and I still cant get a dry puck! I never had this problem prior to it being repaired. I didnt know what I was doing with regards to dosing and tamping pre-repair but I never had problems with sloppy pucks. Why so now? What am I doing wrong?

I have read here at CoffeeSnobs that the EM6900 requires up-dosing (or is it over-dosing, well you know what I mean). I have tried this with either of two results. 1) The PF is really hard to fit in the group head and water spits out all around the group head (i.e the fit is too tight and the dose must be too high); or 2) The PF fits in tightly (with the PF handle off centre, a bit to the right) but I get a sloppy puck.

Can you save me before I lose my mind?

Cheers,
    Mark

Re: EM6900 and wet pucks

How long does a pour take?

The next thing Id do to avoid a wet puck after getting the opdose right would be to coursen the grind a tiny bit.

You can get a wet puck from too fine a grind.

Caveat: I dont own a Sunbeam. Hopefully a Sunbeam owner will read this thtread soon.

Comment

How fresh are your beans?
      Usually wet puck is related to underdosing,
      but on occasions I have noticed that when I use very old beans for a flushing shot, after a full clean, that the puck can be a bit wet.

Regards
      Bullitt

Comment

Marky, please explain your complete dosing procedure...and Ill try to see what you maybe doing wrong (if at all) and correct this... wet soggy pucks arent what I get in my Sunbeam... and generally the machine isnt at fault....more a dosing issue...

Cheers,
        Marc

Comment

Generally youre underdosing....the biggest problem with we pucks.

See below for photo. You want to overdose the Sunbeam by a fair bit....otherwise you will always get a soggy puck. See coffeegeek as there is an exact same thread about this.

Comment

i need to put say 5mm AVERAGE across the top of the PF, and then tamp hard to get it right. yes 6910 little different. This is very different from my gaggia which required flush across the top of the PF before tamp;

Comment

Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1169314138/0#1 date=1169340141
              How long does a pour take?

The next thing Id do to avoid a wet puck after getting the opdose right would be to coursen the grind a tiny bit.

You can get a wet puck from too fine a grind.How long does a pour take?

You can get a wet puck from too fine a grind.
              Thanks TG, I tried this but with no help. Although, I have a crappy grinder so I dont have a great deal of control over the grind. Re pour times. Very quick around 10 secs I would guess. If I really updose (see below) it takes longer but squirts all around the group head.

Originally posted by Bullitt link=1169314138/0#2 date=1169413884
              How fresh are your beans?
              I just using some supermarket Vittoria beans because I dont want to waste my home roasts. I opened a new pack today.

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1169314138/0#3 date=1169414288
              Marky, please explain your complete dosing procedure...and Ill try to see what you maybe doing wrong (if at all) and correct this... wet soggy pucks arent what I get in my Sunbeam... and generally the machine isnt at fault....more a dosing issue...
              Hi marcstolk

I usually just dose it and give it a tamp only using the weight of the sunbeam tamper (which is quite heavy) and give it a polish by resting the tamper in the PF and spinning it.

I also tried you technique that you suggested here (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167626020/30#32) but it is too tight a fit. If it force it round it will pour but I get a lot of squirting from around where the PF goes into the group head.

When I get a nice screw impression like in Wushoes photo it still comes out all soggy and spews around the PF.

I rang sunbeam today, and the operator I got was extremely unhelpful. She just said that it is all related to the grind. I told her that I have played around with the grind setting but that hasnt fixed the problem. She replied all I can suggest is that you change the grind. Very helpful...

Should it be this hard? It never used to be. It seems that no matter what I try it comes out soggy. Not just wet but really soggy. I can hear it squish when I go to remove the PF from the group.

Some photos (all using the double basket)

Comment

Some idea of the dose height...

Comment

another attempt

Comment

the results

Can you see how it has sort of poped/exploaded in the centre? The centre is higher than the rest, like a little mountain.

Comment

... a really bad one. Looks like the surface of the moon

Comment

Marky,

try overdosing to the point where when you tamp there will only be around 3 or 4mm between the top of the basket to the tamped puck. when you lock in the PF it should be slightly tighter, but not impossible to lock in.

Comment

Overdosing is the way to go - but mate the weight of the S-beam tamper is not heavy. I got my pullman last week and it would way 4 or 5 times what the s-beam is and even then I press. I would overdose 5mm or so over as has been suggested and then tamp a lot harder as an experiment and see what happens. If water is spurting out around the group seal then try cranking it right over to the right and see if that fixes. Also, try getting from paper towel (folded over a couple of times first) up into the channels in which the PF lugs locate and clean it out - wet the paper if needs be. You will be amazed at the crap that collects!!

Cheers

Comment

Hi Wushoes

I tried that. I even got a ruler out to check! ha ha. PF locked in quite tightly. But it just spurted out all over the place. Only got a few ml of pour. Puck was still really soggy like pics above

Comment

marky,

My procedure works... you are under dosing....looking at where the tamper sits on your pics.... mine sits higher... also, you never mentioned what Grinder you are using...

Bottom line... this is what to do..

Dose, tap PF on bench or equiv to settle grinds...(very light tamp if you wish), dose to a mound...press down with fingers, level with knife, then Tamp "HARD"!!! finishing with a nice light polish... No wussy tamping.... you need to tamp hard or you wont get the PF locked in....

Try again with this procedure and report back...

Cheers,

Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X