Cleaning the gaggia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the gaggia

Today I went through the usual process of the Classic and finally got brave enough to take of the shower head....

It took ages to scrape off the crusty disgusting built up coffee oils. I ended up using a sewing pin to poke all the yuck out of the holes.

Poor Spike. Hopefully he will run a lot better now. I suspect he needs a visit to the coffee repairer for a service to make him much happier, it looked like the water flow was a bit impeded.

Re: Cleaning the gaggia

yeah my classic had heaps of crap in there before i cleaned it. probably need a descale too? the boilers aluminum so it gets a lot of crap in there too. pore some citric acid crystals (from coles) into the water tank with warm water, and run shot through until its empty -this is a really cheap way of cleaning it out - i got bits of scale out doing it this way.... wouldnt waste money on coffee repairer - second hand there just so cheap for parts - my bro is selling his , and its just had a major overhaul - seal kit, internal polish etc etc

Comment

have you got a dishwasher? put the shower head and PF and wand etc in the bottom draw on your next intense wash - they come up like new!

Comment

Yeah I got a dishwasher - its called Cindy ;D

You need to be very careful using the citric acid on the gaggia. I use the commercial stuff made here in Adelaide and available on coffeeparts to descale my machine every month.

Its a bit of a pain to do but I dont mind at all.

Comment

I agree with Lucindas caution --- citric acid as a descaler, and an aluminium boiler, may not be compatible. Its ok for stainless steel and brass boilers.

Shower screens come up well with proprietary coffee cleaner, or even scrubbed with a scrubber-back sponge dipped in warm water.

--Robusto

Comment

It seems my full cleaning job was a good thing to do. I am getting perfect pucks and Spike seems to be running much better since I pulled off the shower screen. I am still sending him off to the service man for a service though.

Gaggia boy - I would rather waste my money on getting my machine serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing. Sure, parts are cheap etc BUT I do not know what I am doing and dont want to destroy my machine, especially considering I do not have the funds laying around to replace it.

Comment

Gday Cindy (nice name for a dishwasher ),

Do you back-flush the Gaggia regularly at all, like weekly or every ten days or so? This will really help to keep the screen, group and 3-Way valve nice and clean and slow down the build up of varnish in crevices that are very hard to reach.

Ive got into the habit of back-flushing after every espresso session with just plain water and the PF wiggle at the end to drive all loose grounds, etc out of the group. Using the CoffeeParts Espresso Clean weekly after this regime really keeps everything "under the bonnet" beautiful and shiny. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1169432459/0#6 date=1169566561
                Gday Cindy (nice name for a dishwasher ),

Do you back-flush the Gaggia regularly at all, like weekly or every ten days or so? This will really help to keep the screen, group and 3-Way valve nice and clean and slow down the build up of varnish in crevices that are very hard to reach.

Ive got into the habit of back-flushing after every espresso session with just plain water and the PF wiggle at the end to drive all loose grounds, etc out of the group. Using the CoffeeParts Espresso Clean weekly after this regime really keeps everything "under the bonnet" beautiful and shiny. All the best,

Mal.
                What Mal said!

With the Classic make sure you chemical backflush at least every 2-3 weeks (depending on how much you use the machine) and water backflush after every brew session.
                I didnt even know what backflushing was for about the first 2-3 years of owning the Classic. By the time I found out, 2 of the holes in the dispersion block were blocked completely..

And just soak your pf and baskets in some of the espresso clean solution and they will come up just nicely too.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1169432459/0#0 date=1169432459
                  Today I went through the usual process of the Classic and finally got brave enough to take of the shower head....
                  Do you mean the shower screen or the entire dispersion block? The screen has one screw holding it in and the dispersion block has two allen key bolts.

It took ages to scrape off the crusty disgusting built up coffee oils. I ended up using a sewing pin to poke all the yuck out of the holes.
                  I know the feeling...

Poor Spike. Hopefully he will run a lot better now. I suspect he needs a visit to the coffee repairer for a service to make him much happier, it looked like the water flow was a bit impeded.
                  Couldnt hurt.

Comment

Sorry, the shower screen, I was told not to back flush by Peter at simply coffee. I flush with hot water all the time after a brew session so that is just a habit.

Now I have done it once, taking off the screen once a week and cleaning it should keep things all nice and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1169432459/0#9 date=1169608023
                      I was told not to back flush by Peter at simply coffee.
                      Hi Cindy,

Is your Classic still under warranty? I know that Silvias come with a warning not to Back-flush but this is really aimed at people who dont know how to do it properly, as most snobs here who own Silvias would regularly back-flush their machines.

Just flushing out with water wont clean the Brew Head and 3-Way Valve sections properly, these can only be cleaned by back-flushing with an approved detergent like Espresso Clean. Eventually, youll notice problems starting to creep into the brew process as varnishes start to build up to a level that compromises normal operation. If your Classic is no longer under warranty, Id highly recommend getting someone to walk you through the back-flushing process..... Your machine will thank you for it in the long run 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1169432459/0#10 date=1169615518
                        Originally posted by lucinda link=1169432459/0#9 date=1169608023
                        I was told not to back flush by Peter at simply coffee.
                        Hi Cindy,

Is your Classic still under warranty? I know that Silvias come with a warning not to Back-flush but this is really aimed at people who dont know how to do it properly, as most snobs here who own Silvias would regularly back-flush their machines.

Just flushing out with water wont clean the Brew Head and 3-Way Valve sections properly, these can only be cleaned by back-flushing with an approved detergent like Espresso Clean. Eventually, youll notice problems starting to creep into the brew process as varnishes start to build up to a level that compromises normal operation. If your Classic is no longer under warranty, Id highly recommend getting someone to walk you through the back-flushing process..... Your machine will thank you for it in the long run 8-),

Mal.
                        Yeah.. what Mal said (again!)

Backflushing with detergent once every couple of weeks is beneficial.  Cindy it is dead easy; you simply follow the directions on the label. BUT make sure that the drip tray cover is in place as the first flush exits the drain tube at a rapid velocity...and makes quite a mess if the cover is not there.

Did Peter give you a valid reason for not backflushing, or was it more of a "we dont recommend backflushing of your machine" type of thing?

Comment

It was more of a not a good idea type thing. As for making a mess, I am very good at that already.

Now that I have been brave enough to pull of the shower screen I need to get up the courage to back flush.

Yeah I know... Im a chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1169432459/0#12 date=1169638724
                            Im a chicken.
                            Do you taste like koala.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169637758/1#1

Comment

oopps i was under the impression that water-ed down citric acid was good for cleaning aluminum. Ive read many articles on doing this for aluminum boilers. It worked great! i guess many ways to skin a cat

Comment

Working...
                              X