Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia steam valve squealing?

Hi,

Just enjoying a beautiful latte from my recently purchased P.M. Blend from 5 senses in Rockingham, W.A. and the gorgeous microfoamed milk from my Silvia as I type this (to set the scene! )...

When theres pressure behind the steam valve, e.g. from a boiler full of steam or from the pump running, and I open the steam knob just a little, the steam / water starts to come out but then I often get a loud and rather unpleasant squeal and the exiting substance stops exiting. Open the knob further and it comes out in a rush. It doesnt cause a problem except Im used to being able to open it slowly with my Napoletana, and I cant do it with this (as is expected, 70% of the time this happens when Im trying to be quiet in the morning, and any hope of surprising my better half with a nice wakeup brew is therefore stymied!)

I figure the actual needle valve or whatever is attached to the knob is being pushed back into its closed position by the pressure behind it, but why its not a solid piece is beyond me. 1) has anyone else had this problem, and 2) how did you go about fixing it? I intend to strip it down at some stage to find out whats going on but any pointers before I do so would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

Re: Silvia steam valve squealing?

Hi Greg,

From looking at an exploded parts view the seal (valve seat) is actually a rather thick washer which the end of the steam valve fits into....

Did you ever pull the valve apart after you found all that scale in the wand? Id imagine theres a good chance there could be some bits of that lodged in the seat and causing the erratic operation.

EDIT: Wooo Hooo.... 1000 posts!!!!

Comment

3 cheers for JB and his contribution to the well of knowledge! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Havent stripped it down at all yet. The machine arrived a few weeks before we started packing and its presently doing time in my in-laws kitchen where were staying, and Ive not gotten around to it here yet. Will be a job to do as soon as were settled in.

Comment

AHHHH....

Welcome fellow "SandGroper".... good to see you have made the trip over the Nullarbor!

Will we see you at the next BeanBay collection at Epic?

Not sure what that seat is made of.... but my guess would be some type of semi hard neoprene compound.... and bits of scale could be either stuck in it or have damaged it when the steam valve was opened and closed again..... grinding it into the seat..... steam is probably "whistling" through the small holes/cuts....

Probably a replacement of that bit and all should be well.... the only other seals appear to be normal O rings on the shaft.... and I wouldnt imagine they are damaged...

Comment

Hmm, knew I should have checked something else before I put off yesterdays order to coffeeparts! :

Yep should head up to Epic one day and meet you guys! Will check Andys diary (whats the date?)

Comment

Greg,

Yeah, dont you love it when you need something the day after you have placed an order.... especially over in WA where it takes that little bit longer to get here

This months collection date hasnt been announced yet- but probably a week or more from now....

You will really enjoy Epic, Corey and the rest of us Snobs will be looking forward to having a coffee... or two....or.... : : with you. The company is great and so is the coffee. Hope you can make it.

Comment

Hi Greg,

I have the same problem with my Silvia. Not game enough to pull it apart to take a look. It only squeal once in a while, so I am ignoring it. If you do pull yours apart, how about posting the procedure here, with photos.....of course!!!

Cheers

franjae

Comment

Hi Greg,
                It seems to be a common problem, I know I have it, but as yet have done nothing other than some research.
                Have a look at:-
                http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...+valve&rnum=7#
                Bruce

Comment

Franjae, Ill certainly let you know how it goes, a photo essay sounds good. Perhaps my site may end up as a Silvia owners information repository too!

Billi: Thanks for that link, Ill have a good read. PS Hope youre enjoying your tamper!

Comment

Bit off the point ....
                    but with so many people owning and using Silvia throughout the world it is great to know what problems may occur, what to do about them and where the support is available.

It is a huge knowledge base!

For starters I really appreciate this site.

Dumiya

Comment

Sorry about the duplication of the above but It would only post it in a pair!!

Fixed
                      Mal.

Comment

No probs Dumiya. Great to know the info heres appreciated, by me as much as by anyone else.

Comment

That is one added positive about the Silvia -- being so ubiquitous, especially in the USA where the experimenters and geeks did all the leg work for us.

They took their thermocouples, stop watches, DMMs et al and created a magnificent internet data base on this machine.

--Robusto

Comment

I was more attentive to Silvia this morning.
                            Mine does squeal when she is blowing out the water ahead of the steam. Once the water it is clear and the steam is dry she settles down. I certainly could not sneak a quiet cup in the morning - however its entertainment value is huge and I have great status in the family and among friends when we make the magic coffee together!

dumiya

Comment

Hmm, mine may be a different squealing to what you describe Dumiya. When mine squeals the valve closes; the squeal seems to be made by something (perhaps the washer?) moving inside the valve and reclosing. Ive emailed Pedro from coffeeparts to see what bits are needed for a valve overhaul (with reference to Billis useful link above) and am waiting with eager anticipation for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X