EM6910 upgrade to a Pullman Tamper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 upgrade to a Pullman Tamper

For those who upgraded to a pullman tamper with a 6910 I have a few questions ...

a) What was the inside measurement on your baskets?
    b) Was it worth it? Better crema, flavour, pucks etc etc?
    c) Did you send your baskets? Yeh, I know he recommends this but Id rather avoid it
    d) How long did it take to arrive?
    e) Was there enough weight in it compared to the sunbeam tamper?
    f) How was the feel compared to the sunbeam tamper

I dont want to spend $80-$90 unless it is a marked improvement over the sunbeam tamper which is already better than a plastic equivalent.

Incidentally my coffees are pretty good (30ml-30 sec, good pucks and cream) at the moment.

Re: EM6910 upgrade to a Pullman Tamper

barri, if I had the budget, Id be getting a Pullman asap... I have seen these and they are alot heavier than the Sunbeam tamper... Having said that, for a OEM the Sunbeam tamper isnt too bad.....

Comment

Barri I dont own a sunbeam but I do have a Pullman. I can answer the question in regards to time from my experience. I sent the basket from Sydney to Greg in Adelaide in a express satchel and had it returned to me by the Friday made to suit. Greg is a great guy and an excellent craftsman so would highly recommend him. From memory mine weighs about 440 grams. So you may be able to compare that to your Sunbeam tamper. If the LM baskets fit the Sunbeam you could buy a basket and tamper that is matched to it.
      I got my tamper before my machine arrived so I bought a LM double from coffee parts and sent it down. As time wasnt an issue for me. I didnt know that Greg sold LM baskets at that point otherwise I would have got it all from Greg to avoid the initial postage.

All in all I am sure you would be happy with a Pullman tamper matched to the basket. The slight variance if you give Greg an estimation from somebody elses (hoepfull the correct apostrophe use ) may mean you are not completely satisfied where as if it is matched I have no doubt you would be grinning from ear to ear with the purchase.

Comment

Barri..

Ill leave it to the 6910 owners to answer your more specific questions..

If you have a digital vernier (accurate to 0.01 mm) you can measure the baskets yourself following Gregs procedure (which I did). At that time also check for out of round... my La Cimbali baskets were almost perfectly round.... if oval (depending on how much) the improvement wont be as great. I sent the measurement to Greg and the tamper fits perfectly!! But if you make a mistake.... its your problem - not Gregs- but he will help you out (at additional cost).

The results compared to a Reg Barber (great quality craftsman tamper- about $100 worth - but not fitted) were....

no need to tamp, tap, retamp - just one straight tamp (no loose bits)
        2-3 seconds longer pour time at the same (measured) tamp pressure
        smoother espresso
        slightly less crema (slight channelling Ive found increases the crema- the little spurts act like crema enhancers) but the crema was less bitter with Gregs
        overall better tasting shots
        pucks were firmer - more difficult to tap out - presumably better compressed near the wall...

Delivery about 3 weeks from ordering...
        Weight - really heavy 420 grams - pretty much all in the solid base.

Cant comment on feel compared to the Sunbeam.... but is the best tamper Ive used for feel in the hand!

Believe me - it is very inexpensive for the improvement you will get!

Comment

An added bonus of a properly fitting tamper is that I get less crap up in and around the shower screen and group seal. I had a standard stainless tamper for a while and because it didnt tamp the edges well a greater number of loose grounds would float up and lodge themselves under the group.

Plus they look great. When somebody sees what you have bought for a tamper they KNOW you are serious.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1169693192/0#3 date=1169695546
            Barri..

Ill leave it to the 6910 owners to answer your more specific questions..
            Where are they then?

Comment

Barri,

I ordered a Pullman tamper a couple of days ago and have received confirmation from Greg that my new tamper is in the mail. Should be here, I guess early next week. Will post my impressions as soon as I use it.

Just on the sunbeam tamper. Although its a reasonable tamper in terms of quality (not flimsy like some other plastic ones Ive seen), its the wrong size!! Its too small for the basket. This is the main reason why I sourced a new tamper.

BTW I sent my basket over to ensure a perfect fit. Providing that all EM6910 baskets are the same, I guess Greg can just go off these measurements, save you sending your basket.

J

Comment

I agree with jimandlet .. the Sunbeam Tamper is too small...

Comment

Originally posted by jimandlet link=1169693192/0#6 date=1169701350
                  [snip] Providing that all EM6910 baskets are the same, I guess Greg can just go off these measurements, save you sending  your basket.

J
                  Im sure youll find that there is a reasonable amount of difference in the Sunbeam baskets. As there is with all baskets.

The generic tampers are built to cover most tolerance figures.
                  Gregs tampers are crafted to fit the basket exactly. If he does not have the basket (IE: you dont want to be without it), he suggests getting your hands on some measuring calipers and provide him with some more accurate measurements.

I think he is also supplying a certain type of basket now. If the basket fits the Sunbeam, perhaps that is another option (get him top tailor it to the new basket).

Have a read of his web site. Lots of interesting info there.

Personally, I jumped in before reading up on the topic fully and just purchased a 58mm tamper. I really love it, and it works wonderfuly, but if I had of sent him the basket, Im sure it would be a better fit.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by jimandlet link=1169693192/0#6 date=1169701350
                    Barri,

I ordered a Pullman tamper a couple of days ago and have received confirmation from Greg that my new tamper is in the mail. Should be here, I guess early next week. Will post my impressions as soon as I use it.

Just on the sunbeam tamper. Although its a reasonable tamper in terms of quality (not flimsy like some other plastic ones Ive seen), its the wrong size!! Its too small for the basket. This is the main reason why I sourced a new tamper.

BTW I sent my basket over to ensure a perfect fit. Providing that all EM6910 baskets are the same, I guess Greg can just go off these measurements, save you sending your basket.

J
                    Thanks Jimandlet. Im very keen to hear how you got on with your new tamper and the 6910.

Which basket(s) did you send and is it (are they) the main one(s) you use. In other words have you been without a coffee for a while?

Comment

Surprisingly, from the Sunbeams Ive done so far theres been basically no difference between them. I think the reason for this is that the 69x0 series machines use 58mm baskets while their previous EM models used smaller sizes. Thus theyve only been churning out 58mm baskets for a relatively short time, short enough for them not to have made new die presses or for the existing ones to wear. With time Id expect them to start to wander around a bit like weve seen with many other manufacturers (ECM, surprisingly, being one of the worst offenders).

Another complicating factor in some cases is the fitment of aftermarket baskets. Again, being a new machine to the market, most people still have the original baskets.

So at this point in time my general recommendation to send in the basket doesnt apply as much to the Sunbeam machines. With time this will become more of an issue as Id expect variations to appear before too long. Having said that, theres always the chance of a variation, something which is completely eliminated if baskets are sent, so that remains the safest method.

At present its the La Marzocco double and single baskets I sell. Theyre deeper than the Faema-style baskets as used on the Silvia, but given Sunbeams Paul Basset-sourced policy of packing in as much coffee as possible, I expect the PFs would be designed to accept a deep basket.

Comment

Hi Barri,

I have a 6910 and have a friend who uses one of Gregs Tampers for his Giotto. I really cant compare the 2 tampers.

The Pullman Tamper is a lot heavier than the Sunbeam one and fits his basket perfectly. My mate just sent his measurements in and is very happy with his tamper.

As soon as I have the spare cash, Ill be purchasing one for sure!!!

Im sick of the leftover bits on the edge of the basket after tamping, cos the stock tamper is too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1169693192/0#10 date=1169706018

At present its the La Marzocco double and single baskets I sell. Theyre deeper than the Faema-style baskets as used on the Silvia, but given Sunbeams Paul Basset-sourced policy of packing in as much coffee as possible, I expect the PFs would be designed to accept a deep basket.
                          Greg, do you know if your LM baskets fit the sunbeam EM 6910 without complications? This might be easier, to order these than send in my baskets.

Comment

My appologies for not getting back to you sooner Greg with feedback but I will do so here. Greg made my tamper a few weeks ago after I sent him some baskets (which were replacement baskets I sourced when I got my first Sunbeam EM - the 6900 - ie standards compared to the way oversized 6900 ones) and he made the tamper to suit - identical handle to the one in Gregs post picture above.

The tamper is a work of art. It would weigh about 4 times more, at a guess, than the Sunbeam one and it is excellent in the hand - feel. The grove rings are innovative and work well for even tamping.

There is virtually no gap - there is only a very small edge of coffee no caught by the tamper base, but all I do brush this off and tamp again and its gone. The pucks are firmer and the coffee seems sweeter - crema might be down a tad but that could be because of the lack of chanelling as referred to above. I have now switched to the Sunbeam baskets that came with the 6910 because the fit is identical to the ones I sent Greg and they are slightly, only, larger than the more standard ones for a bit more espresso output.

I thoroughly reccomend Gregs work - in addition to the craftsmanship, he is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Forego that subscription to Crema, Two Wheels or Country Style this year (or let Toto the fluffy white pooch get a little more shaggy) and for about the same splash go get one!!!

Cheers

Comment

Great to hear Ozscott! But interesting to notice youve still got a rim of coffee around the edge. That doesnt normally happen unless theres some variation or irregularity in the basket diameter, or a discrepancy between the sent basket and the others. Not that its a particular problem but its uncommon with a fitted tamper.

Originally posted by barri link=1169693192/0#12 date=1169710674

Greg, do you know if your LM baskets fit the sunbeam EM 6910 without complications? This might be easier, to order these than send in my baskets.
                              Ive just checked and two previous customers have bought LM double baskets, one for a 6900 and one for a 6910, and neither have indicated any problem so Id cautiously say itd be fine. But note: the LM baskets are slightly smaller in diameter than the Sunbeam baskets, so if the tamper fits the LMs itll be a little loose in any of the Sunbeams if you go back to them. The difference will be in the order of 0.5mm or so, which while significantly better than what youd be working with at the moment, is still undesirable. Given the observed consistency in original Sunbeam baskets thus far, I wouldnt feel the need to recommend buying LM baskets to ensure an accurate fit, but ultimately its your decision. Working from existing data should be fine in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X