Bottomless Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottomless Silvia

Bottomless Silvia - kinky? Well, no. But I just got my bottomless PF. Things just keep on getting better. LOL.

And I discovered a side effect: I can now easily fit my stainless mug under the bottomless PF for a mugacino.

Observing the coffee espressing with the marbled crema is just beautiful. ;D - and the taste isnt bad either.

Re: Bottomless Silvia

yea I got mine the other day too and discovered the same.

Comment

Im really getting the irits with mine. I keep getting big spritzes of espresso that shoot all over the place. Looks like I need to go back to school re tamping technique. > Im wondering if I should check the pressure at the PF in case my Silvia is pumping out at too high a pressure.

Comment

Matt G, that sounds very much like channelling.

That being the case, the portafilter is doing what it should be doing, and highlighting problems with tamping etc.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1169901431/0#2 date=1169973012
          Im wondering if I should check the pressure at the PF in case my Silvia is pumping out at too high a pressure.
          Matt,

Even if the pressure was a bit high, that wouldnt be causing the spritzes - as Robusto said above, thats channelling...

So more work on tamping Im afraid

Im sure that many users of sivias, sunbeams and every other machine would get the same shock if they tried a bottomless PF. Most think that because they have lots of crema all is good. But those little spritzes act like crema enhancers- producing more, but "false" crema which is lighter in colour and fades more quickly--- just like that from pressurised baskets.

Ive found when I get the tamp "just right" the crema is darker, richer, sweeter and a bit less in volume (e.g. after switching to a Greg Pullman tamper) for the same extraction volume and time.

Comment

Sounds like the same mess I got on the first "few" shots with my bottomless PF.

Not so bad now.
            Ive even put it away for a while now that Im happy with the recent results.

Comment

Hmm, figured as much!

Well Ive got the right tamper equipment so Ill have to fix my grind and tamping method. I read up on the Weiss distribution method a little while ago so I might start there.

Meanwhile Ill have to duck and weave the little streams of espresso.

Comment

Matt

Is your Rocky the doser or doserless model?.... The doser on the La Cimbali does a great job of breaking up the clumps and also gives an even distribution.... as long as you dose through the doser - which I do.

The Weiss method, although a bit of a pain, would certainly overcome any clumping issues.

Comment

I have to say, I love my bottomless PF - its frustrating that immediate feedback ... you think you have done a great tamp .... only to find out its all wrong - it amazes me how quick you can tell!

Comment

pardon my ignorance but what is a bottomless PF?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1169901431/0#7 date=1169982209
                        Matt

Is your Rocky the doser or doserless model?.... The doser on the La Cimbali does a great job of breaking up the clumps and also gives an even distribution.... as long as you dose through the doser - which I do.

The Weiss method, although a bit of a pain, would certainly overcome any clumping issues.
                        Ive got the doserless model, but usually give the grinds a bit of a stir with the end of the milk thermometer in the PF before tamping. Which is why Im a little surprised with the amount of channeling Im getting.

Comment

You might want to try something somewhat finer than a thermometer. Something that dislodges the clumps without upsetting the distribution of the grinds.

I use the very versatile straightened paper clip, zig-zagging it throughout the basket.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1169901431/0#11 date=1170022561
                            Ive got the doserless model, but usually give the grinds a bit of a stir with the end of the milk thermometer in the PF before tamping.
                            Ive got the D/L Rocky too but instead of grinding straight into the PF Basket, I grind into a plastic 1/3 Cup Measuring Cup first (sits under the discharge spout perfectly) and then dose the PF Basket from that. Only takes a couple of seconds longer, if that, and the act of transferring the freshly ground coffee this way breaks up any clumps that may have been there.

Mal.

Comment

Top Idea Mal. Its good because the exchange into the plastic cup disrupts the static electricity which causes the clumping and because it frees up your hands, a naked PF wont sit by itself in a Rock doserless.

BOris

Comment

Working...
                              X