Cleaning a Sunbeam EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Sunbeam EM6910

Im about to clean/descale my EM6910 for the first time and was wondering what other owners of this machine have done to keep it clean. Obviously Sunbeam are keen for us to use their products but I was wondering whether others have used different chemicals/cleaners to do the same job without damaging the machine. I spoke with my local roaster recently and he was reluctant to sell me a commercial cleaner or advise using anything else for cleaning other than the tablets recommended (and marketed) by Sunbeam. Am I playing with fire using anything other than what Sunbeam market and sell? Just wondering whether its another marketing ploy or not

Cheers

Justin

Re: Cleaning a Sunbeam EM6910

Justin,

You could probably use other cleaning agents.... but that may void your warranty. (Should be in the "Terms and Conditions")

It appears the 6910 doesnt suffer the multitude of problems the 6900 did and loss of your warranty might not be such an issue, but Id check whether it will be affected before using anything else - or just use the Sunbeam products and you wont have a problem.

Comment

Usually I throw caution to the wind with coffee machines, because theyre generally pretty tough. However with the Sunbeam Id be very careful. The top of the group is coated in teflon. This coating is there to prevent corrosion of the aluminium thermoblock as well as make it easier to clean. That said, any cleaner that is also abrasive may damage the teflon lining. So Id either stick with Sunbeams product or make sure you use a non-abrasive cleaner.

As for descaling, Id think a mild citric acid solution would work. Just add it to the water reservoir and flush it through the group and steam thermoblock. Im not sure how necessary this is as Sunbeam have an auto clean function. Again, Id follow the Sunbeam recommendations due to the uniqueness of the machine.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Ill use the Sunbeam cleaning tabs. Not worth the risk.

Comment

They work extremely well.... just be sure you have the PF nice and tight or itll leak...it really pressurises during the cleaning cycle...

Comment

I rang the Sunbeam hotline and commented that the cleaning and descaling tablets were hard to get unless you were prepared to travel to the nearest authorized sunbeam service shop. Anyway the lady must have liked my voice and sent me, for free, a packet of cleaning tablets and a packet of descaling tablets.

Maybe you could try the same technique. Remember to be smooth and speak with a polite voice.

Comment

Myer sell the tablets and 250ml bottles of liquid descaler --had a quick look for curiosity, but the bottle lable appeared to be in a foreign language.

For the chemists among us, the sunbeam tablets contain these chemicals: sodium polyphosphate, sodium percarbonate, sodium citrate, anionic surfactoret (reading this from my mobile phone photo and writing is microscopic)and tableting agents.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1171544498/0#6 date=1171672955
                Myer sell the tablets and 250ml bottles of liquid descaler --had a quick look for curiosity, but the bottle lable  appeared to be in a foreign language.

For the chemists among us, the sunbeam tablets contain these chemicals: sodium polyphosphate, sodium percarbonate, sodium citrate, anionic surfactoret (reading this from my mobile phone photo and writing is microscopic)and tableting agents.

--Robusto
                Sodium polyphosphate is a water softening agent.
                Sodium citrate is also a water softening agent/descaling agent
                The anionic surfactant is probably something common like sodium dodecylsulfate, which is a common detergent.

So it seems to me to be a "soft" descaling/cleaning solution. By soft I mean non-acidic. The sodium cation is used because all salts are soluble, while the polyphosphate and citrate anions form soluble salts with calcium and magnesium. So scale will be dissolved by a solution containing these ingredients. The surfactant will help remove coffee oils as well. So its a one tablet does all solution...

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

How much do these tablets cost? Im just tempted to run some cafetto through my machine.

Comment

As I sort of implied/mentioned above, these tablets are multi-purpose cleaner/descaler tablets. So you should make sure that your alternative is also a multipurpose cleaner and that it desnt contain any abrasives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1171544498/0#7 date=1171712288
                      Originally posted by robusto link=1171544498/0#6 date=1171672955
                      Myer sell the tablets and 250ml bottles of liquid descaler --had a quick look for curiosity, but the bottle lable  appeared to be in a foreign language.

--Robusto
                      Sodium polyphosphate is a water softening agent.
                      Sodium citrate is also a water softening agent/descaling agent
                      The anionic surfactant is probably something common like sodium dodecylsulfate, which is a common detergent.

So it seems to me to be a "soft" descaling/cleaning solution. By soft I mean non-acidic. The sodium cation is used because all salts are soluble, while the polyphosphate and citrate anions form soluble salts with calcium and magnesium. So scale will be dissolved by a solution containing these ingredients. The surfactant will help remove coffee oils as well. So its a one tablet does all solution...

Cheers,

Mark.
                      I missed the sodium percarbonate. This is an oxygen bleach, good at removing coffee oils and residue. Its the active ingredient in most back flushing chemicals as well as napisan.

So these tablets really pack it all into one pill....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1171544498/0#10 date=1171934146

So these tablets really pack it all into one pill....
                        Now thats hard to swallow...

Which is probably just as well ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Would obtaining some of these tablets for my 6900 be good enough to clean without backflushing, as I cant figure what Im to do now, heard so many different versions of what to do.

Found out we have a service centre here in Dubbo, (what a wonder), so will be going there tomorrow to see if they have any of these tablets, but an answer from one of you gurus would be good so I can rest easy Ive done the best thing for my machine.......this coffee habit is hard to break, but hey, who wants to ;D

Comment

smoky, you need to backflush with the tablet in the baskets with the cleaning disk... otherwise youll be wasting the tablet and your time...

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1171544498/0#13 date=1172008484
                              smoky, you need to backflush with the tablet in the baskets with the cleaning disk...  otherwise youll be wasting the tablet and your time...
                              I thought that you just took the tablet and then pulled a shot and had a nice nap?? :P ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X